PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to disable the graphics tweaks in GW?

bogaty
08-24-06, 09:43 AM
I like most of what's in the mod but it runs like a slide show and, to be honest, I think the sea in GW looks worse than in stock SHIII.

If I were to copy the default files from data/env over, would that fix things?

Cdre Gibs
08-24-06, 09:51 AM
The slide show effect as you put it, is most likely the sea floor texture. There are a few options in regards to this and most systems can only run the lower res TGA's for the sea floor. I cant recall the link for it off hand but there is a fix for it. A forum search for "Sea Floor" should do the trick.

As to the Enviromental sea colours, YES you can just copy the SEA related files from stock right over the top, but what ever you do, dont touch the sky files, it will play merry hell with your game in regards to strange sky dome texture's.

bogaty
08-24-06, 09:56 AM
I had already turned off the sea floor textures. I find that the Grey Wolves mod runs very sluggishly on my PC when the weather is bad. Also, I find the higher than standard waves cause a lot of clipping issues with my sub and other ships and I'd really like to disable the enhanced wave height and the wave/water textures. Any ideas?

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 pro
Audigy 2 soundcard

Captain Nemo
08-24-06, 10:14 AM
I had already turned off the sea floor textures. I find that the Grey Wolves mod runs very sluggishly on my PC when the weather is bad. Also, I find the higher than standard waves cause a lot of clipping issues with my sub and other ships and I'd really like to disable the enhanced wave height and the wave/water textures. Any ideas?

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 pro
Audigy 2 soundcard

I run the default installation of GW on my machine without the sluggishness you describe. My pc specs are:

Pentium P4 3GHz
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon X300se (many on this forum have said this is a poor graphics card)
Soundblaster soundcard

Frame rates in port are around 25-30fps. If I start rotating my view however, it can drop to 15-20fps which causes a slight stutter. In bad weather at sea I get around 30-40fps. To be honest it wasn't much different in the stock game. I can live with this slight stutter in port because GW is a great enhancement to the game overall.

Nemo

bogaty
08-24-06, 10:19 AM

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 pro
Audigy 2 soundcard
I run the default installation of GW on my machine without the sluggishness you describe. My pc specs are:

Pentium P4 3GHz
1GB RAM
Soundblaster soundcard

Frame rates in port are around 25-30fps. If I start rotating my view however, it can drop to 15-20fps which causes a slight stutter. In bad weather at sea I get around 30-40fps. To be honest it wasn't much different in the stock game. I can live with this slight stutter in port because GW is a great enhancement to the game overall.

Nemo

Hmmm. I find in heavy weather, I'm getting 5-12 fps. What do you have your Anti Aliassing and Antisotropic filtering set to? I currently run AA at 6x with temporal enabled and ASF at 16X

Cdre Gibs
08-24-06, 10:30 AM
Bloody post all went south!

Captain Nemo
08-24-06, 10:33 AM

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 pro
Audigy 2 soundcard

Pentium P4 3GHz
1GB RAM
Soundblaster soundcard

Nemo

Hmmm. I find in heavy weather, I'm getting 5-12 fps. What do you have your Anti Aliassing and Antisotropic filtering set to? I currently run AA at 6x with temporal enabled and ASF at 16X

Not sure on the settings of AA and ASF, I'm at work so can't check, but if I remember I'll have a look and let you know.

Nemo

Captain Nemo
08-25-06, 04:16 AM

AMD Athlon 3200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X800 pro
Audigy 2 soundcard

Pentium P4 3GHz
1GB RAM
Soundblaster soundcard

Nemo

Not sure on the settings of AA and ASF, I'm at work so can't check, but if I remember I'll have a look and let you know.

Nemo

I have checked my AA and ASF settings and both are set to 'Application Preference'. I don't know if colour quality makes any difference, but mine is set to 16 bit. Someone said in the forums that this setting makes the graphic card work harder thus reducing fps, but I am not sure of this as I always understood that the less colours the card has to draw the faster fps you get. I was playing SHIII this morning in heavy seas i.e. the waves were crashing over my conning tower submerging the lookouts and I was getting fluctuating fps between 20-40 slightly lower at the bottom end than I quoted above. The only part of the game that I tend to get a real slow down of fps is in periscope view when the lens gets covered in water and then trickles down the lens, I get about 10-15fps.

Nemo

Boris
08-25-06, 08:39 AM
I have an athlon 3800, 2gb ram, a 6800 ultra OC, with AF and ASF both on 8x and the game runs smoothly with GW.

People with much lower specs have been able to run GW, You have a kick-ass machine, so I'd be worried about the health of your PC.

bogaty
08-25-06, 01:17 PM
I have an athlon 3800, 2gb ram, a 6800 ultra OC, with AF and ASF both on 8x and the game runs smoothly with GW.

People with much lower specs have been able to run GW, You have a kick-ass machine, so I'd be worried about the health of your PC.

Actually, disabling the temporal anti-aliassing took care of the frame rates. Strange thing now though is that I've lost the sky texture somehow. It always looks like midnight even when the sun is up. I'm wondering if SubCommander and Grey Wolves are incompatible. I tried rolling back the changes I made with SubCommander, but the problem persisted. Sigh. Looks like yet another uninstall/reinstall. That makes 5 in 2 days.

irish1958
08-25-06, 06:05 PM
If you roll back SH3CMDR before you make changes, it will not screw up your install as it is a separate program and runs outside of SHIII. You must also make any changes between patrols.

kiwi_2005
08-25-06, 08:39 PM
Unless ya got a kickass beast of a machine, turn AA off or try it on low 2x, having jaggy edges is not going to ruin your gameplay, only your screenshots:lol:

bogaty
08-26-06, 03:42 AM
If you roll back SH3CMDR before you make changes, it will not screw up your install as it is a separate program and runs outside of SHIII. You must also make any changes between patrols.

That's what I thought but when I rolled it back, I still had corrupted sky textures. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, patched it to 1.4b, then installed Grey Wolves. I then went and tried to remove the "realistic" deck gun and sinking mods be editing the zones.cfg file to revert the hitpoint values, armour, and floatability ratings. I also used minitweaker to cut down on wave size and water murkiness and to edit ship's hitpoint values in their .zon files in the DATA/SEA directory.

After having done this, I again noticed some weird glitches with the weater/sky ingame. I can't see how my editing could affect the weather.

Anyone else having problems with the weather and graphics anomalies?

bunkerratt
08-26-06, 01:37 PM
have you tried using omega dricers for you graphicscard?
intel p-4 h/t 775 3.0 oc'd to 3.6
asus p5gd2 deluxe
2gb pc2 3200
twin 100gb sata hdd's raid 0
2 hdd coolers
dvd rom
dvd rw dual layer dual format
floppy
ati radeon x800xl pcie 256 oc'd
creative x-fi extreame music
enermax 600 watt psu
as 3000 cpu/gpu water cooler