PDA

View Full Version : How do I edit graphics in SH3?

supposedtobeworking
08-22-06, 08:27 PM
I am going to try to enlarge the numbers on my protractor map tools. but what do I need to do this? would photoshop work--can I just open the .tga files and then paint them and save?? never done this before so any help would be appreciated. Also I can probably fish around for them but to save time, does anyone know exactly which files I need to mess with for the map help tools and protractor?

thanks.

supposedtobeworking
08-22-06, 10:49 PM
ok I got a .tga viewer/editor but I don't think I can resize the numbers, only resize the image which I am going to try (to make it bigger) but I am not really sure which tga files to edit and if those are the only files I need to edit...I have narrowed it down to two files which I think deal with the map tools in the navimap....Kompass.tga in data/menu/gui and Protractor.tga in data/menu/gui/mouse , I also am curious about rulerext.tga in the same dir I think, but it does not show up in the tga editor/viewer....am I close? does anyone know? if i am successful i'll offer my findings and results to those who would want them...

supposedtobeworking
08-23-06, 02:49 PM
well i have been trying this out and it is just confusing--i resized the kompass.tga and saved, but it(the protractor) shows up in game bigger but it is just a solid grey square! ??? thats what it is in the tga viewer too originally by the way (the only reason i knew it was the protractor was when I go to open the file (kompass.tga) it has a preview in a small window which shows the protractor....but as i said in the actual editor it is just a solid grey square....anyone else dealt with this and no how to make the solid grey sqaure shown turn into the actual image it is supposed to be?? maybe i have a bad tga viewer program...?

macstu23
08-23-06, 03:56 PM
Photoshop should be fine for what you want to do. It's because the file is a transparency which uses an Alpha Channel. Open up your .tga with Photoshop and open the Channels window, you should see the actual image you want to enlarge on the channel 'Alpha 1'.

From this point on, I'm afraid thats where my knowledge of messing around with Alpha Channels hits a brick wall. I remember something about the level of blackness relating to the level of tranparency you want to achieve...In most cases, pure standard photoshop black for total transparency, but you shouldnt have to mess around with that...Sometimes it's down to trial and error. Sorry I cant be more helpful.

supposedtobeworking
08-23-06, 06:06 PM
OK! Now I have some more clues at least thank you for your insights! Anyone else that knows more about this -- your advice is welcome!! ill keep trying stuff out...