PDA

View Full Version : DC damage less in GW

shegeek72
08-21-06, 08:46 PM
Since installing GW the DC damage is much less, even when my sub is in the middle of them that before would cause heavy damage or death. Is this more accurate?
--
http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/moon_sub3.jpg

bigboywooly
08-21-06, 10:09 PM
Since installing GW the DC damage is much less, even when my sub is in the middle of them that before would cause heavy damage or death. Is this more accurate?
--

Well the stock deck gun was far too powerfull so was tweaked but with the ships being harder to sink it shows more

I believe this is being addressed in the new GWX
Well the ships damage model is for sure

Aim for below the waterline and in different areas so ship will sink

CWorth
08-21-06, 11:08 PM
--

Well the stock deck gun was far too powerfull so was tweaked but with the ships being harder to sink it shows more

I believe this is being addressed in the new GWX
Well the ships damage model is for sure

Aim for below the waterline and in different areas so ship will sink

I think shegeek72 is talking about the Depth Charges in GW and the damage they do.

shegeek72
08-22-06, 12:24 AM
I think shegeek72 is talking about the Depth Charges in GW and the damage they do.
Aye, mate. :up:
--

Pants
08-22-06, 02:51 AM
DC's dont really cause that much damage in a stick unless in almost / direct contact with sub thats why DC patterns was used ie:- diamond, pyramid due to the concussion wave caused by DC's exploding had a better chance of crushing the sub or forcing it to the surface...quite a few times after a sustained DC attack subs would surface as more often the "psychological" damage was more frequent than actual sub damage.

shegeek72
08-22-06, 03:51 AM
DC's dont really cause that much damage in a stick unless in almost / direct contact with sub thats why DC patterns was used ie:- diamond, pyramid due to the concussion wave caused by DC's exploding had a better chance of crushing the sub or forcing it to the surface...quite a few times after a sustained DC attack subs would surface as more often the "psychological" damage was more frequent than actual sub damage.
Interesting. Thanks! Is that due to the water "absorbing" the explosion more than air, or some other principle? :know:
--

Pants
08-22-06, 04:06 AM
The shape of the DC causes a 360o explosion so unless set in a pattern would cause little or no damage unless in almost direct contact with the sub, Two kinds of DC were used proximity ( standard DC ) and contact ( hedgehog )

"Blind Time" is the time between when a weapon is launched and when it reaches the target location. In addition, most early sonar systems lost the target submarine on close approach, usually requiring a "sprint" to reduce blind time. For depth charges, this meant that they were dropped or fired after the sonar contact was lost. Hedgehog was the first "ahead-fired" weapon that could be used while the attacking ship still had sonar contact on the target submarine. This reduced the blind time by two-thirds when compared to depth charges.
The USA built a total of 622,128 depth charges between December 1941 and September 1945. This figure does not include Hedgehog, Mousetrap and experimental units not placed in service use. Over half of these depth charges were still on hand when hostilities ended.

ASW effectiveness during World War II
In the first few months of the war only 5 percent of all depth charge attacks were successful. Normal combat conditions reduced that figure to 3 percent. Combat records showed that in early 1942 the lethal probability of a single depth charge pattern (barrage) was about 3 percent and five attacks would raise the chance of a kill to about 10 percent. The possibility of inflicting significant damage to a submarine was about 30 percent after five attacks. By the end of 1943, better weapons and tactics had improved these figures such that about 30 percent of all detected submarines suffered at least some damage and 20 percent were killed. By the last year of the war, at least 35 percent of the submarines attacked were damaged while 30 percent were killed. In mid-1944, the USN was claiming an 8 percent kill rate with a single Hedgehog pattern. By the middle of 1945, that figure had risen to 10 percent.
In the Atlantic Theater, US surface ships sank 60 submarines, shore-based aircraft sank 54, ship-borne aircraft sank 32 and 40 were destroyed by bombing raids on yards and bases. In the Pacific Theater, surface ships sank 60 Japanese submarines, shore-based aircraft sank 3.5 and ship-borne aircraft sank another 9.5. :up:

Dowly
08-22-06, 04:07 AM
This is what I found out about the power of DC´s.

"The hydraulic "water hammer" effect created by a 300-pound depth charge would destroy the submarine if detonated within 10 yards of the hull, 30 yards away only damaged the hull"

But these figures dont tell the truth, the depth of the uboat also makes the hull more fragile. So, in lowest possible depth, even a DC going off 30-40 yards away could cause flooding in the uboat.

Kpt. Lehmann
08-22-06, 10:15 AM
Yes, Dowly is right.

Conversely... you can put holes (gunfire) into a structure like a U-boat pressure hull and it's overall strength can remain intact.

In GW, you will often take component damage that is worse in its implications than a loss of hull integrity. IE: How do you get home when your engines are knocked loose from their mounts... or all the batteries cracked... or the rudder destroyed.

In GW you will most likely die from uncontrolled flooding.

You can have much hull integrity remaining... at the point where your boat is in truth actually doomed!!!

Once during testing I found myself in the middle of the Atlantic... with only electric engines still intact... both diesels destroyed. I just sat there for a few minutes when I could finally surface... and pondered my fate.

("components" being defined as: engines, batteries, torpedo tubes, periscopes, rudder... etc etc etc...)

Sailor Steve
08-22-06, 10:37 AM
British depth charges:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_ASW.htm

Note the listing for the Mk VII Heavy:
The British claimed this DC would split a 0.875 inch (22 mm) hull at 20 feet (6.1 m) and force a submarine to surface at about twice that distance. A minol charge introduced in 1942 increased these distances to 26 feet (7.9 m) and 52 feet (15.8 m), respectively.

American depth charges:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMUS_ASW.htm

One of the problems with all depth charges was that the depth settings came in stages; i.e. they could be set for 100 ft, 125 ft, 150 ft etc, but not for 135 or 160. Actually getting the charge to within 20-25 feet of the submarine was a real trick, which was one of the reasons hedgehogs became popular. Take a look at the chart for number of 'attacks' (weapons dropped) versus number of kills.

Depth-charging submarines was less effective per weapon fired than naval gunnery, and the overall hit rate for that was only about 7%.

Pablo
08-22-06, 04:39 PM
Hi!

From what I've read, the flooding that occurs in your u-boat is generally due to the failure of gaskets, flanges, etc., around existing openings in the pressure hull rather than a breach in the pressure hull. The existing openings are for things like the plumbing for moving water in and out of various ballast and trim tanks, exhaust vents for the diesels, periscopes, etc. This kind of damage will slowly kill your U-boat if you can't repair the damage and pump the water out, whereas a breach in the pressure hull itself will likely sink your boat in short order.

The "water hammer" effect is caused by the expanding gas bubble formed by the exploding depth charge. Water cannot be compressed, and so it transmits the power of the explosion for a much greater distance than would be the case in air. This overpressure is what tends to cause slow leakage, things knocked about, etc.

If the depth charge is very close, and the gas bubble from the explosion actually touches the U-boat then the U-boat will also feel the "thunder" effect as the gas bubble collapses under the pressure of the water above it and that sudden pressure slams into the U-boat's hull. At shallow depth, the water pressure is less resulting in a bigger bubble but less pressure; in deep water, the water pressure is much greater, leading to a smaller bubble that collapses with much greater force.

This "thunder effect" is what allows a Hedgehog to kill a U-boat with only a very small explosive charge at any depth- the Hedgehog only explodes if it is in direct contact with the U-boat, and if it's really deep then the pressure hull takes a wallop from water at a pressure of many thousands of pounds per square inch - not to mention that a leak under that pressure is going to look and feel like a super-pressurized fire hydrant.

Pablo