PDA

View Full Version : Update

joshuaj
08-16-06, 08:57 PM
Here are updates from East on development from dev logs :)

Last weekend a batch of Old Salts were kind enough to help with the initial test of the account system. Many thanks. It sent me back to the drawing board for some of it; a better approach, less security pessimistic. Peter has completed some major work on the Rendering engine and I’m trying to put together a schedule to go out to Michigan and spend a little time with Cybernet.
It’s interesting, one of the things I’ve discovered about the Openskies code: some of its un-suitability for an MMOG comes from its number one asset. It was created from mil specs, for distributed online processing, but, in true “follow-orders” military fashion the reliance on absolute client (the person) integrity is an assumption that colors the entire system. Too bad you can’t trust gamers like that, I’d already be done with the Cybernet work. Since we know (and have sometimes been them) gamers will try to cheat, a system that relies on integrity would be a colossal failure in real life. Fortunately some of the great work that Glen Wolfram did, and many of his sessions patiently explaining some of the then seeming arcane work he was doing, and I have a pretty clear understanding of what we’re going to do to take the “trusted gamer” out of the equation.
Too bad they’re based in Detroit….or too bad I’m not going there to take delivery on a brand new (insert favorite vehicle here).