PDA

View Full Version : Damage from running aground

Reece
08-02-06, 02:01 AM
Hi, could someone point me to the data file for the damage obtained by running aground please? or point me to a mod if this has been addressed please.:D
I was running at 1 knot when I slowly decended & hit the ground causing the loss of 2 men and nearly wiping out the boat, A little overdone I think!:rotfl:
Thanks.

Wilko
08-02-06, 03:07 AM
Had the same thing happen to me.. except I lost it due to flooding, like you I thought it was pretty gentle in touching the sea floor :hmm:

U-snafu
08-02-06, 04:01 AM
I might be wrong but i believe the anti-hummingbird mod in NYGM lets you touch bottom at okts with no damage.
In GW on one occassion i was sinking bow first due to flooding and had my electric engines in full reverse---no damage on contact and as soon as i touched down-cut my engines and settled gently to the floor........of course due to previous sub damage and no comp air left- my gentle landing became my final resting place:lol: .

nvdrifter
08-02-06, 06:27 AM
A big problem I have encountered is when trying to repair on the sea floor, the water currents move the boat around sometimes, causing collision damage. I have found a way to fix it, but the side effect is that the waves don't move. :damn:

Reece
08-02-06, 07:24 AM
Hmmm, thanks, I might look into this "anti-hummingbird mod" and see what it consists of, maybe Teddy Bar will read this and respond!:up: (Hint)
Edit: After thorough examination of both NYGM Tonnage War mods 1.17 & 2.0 I find nothing concerning "Anti-Hummingbird", could you please be more specific?
Thanks.

U-snafu
08-02-06, 04:22 PM
I believe the anti hummingbird mod in NYGM makes it so that when you stop your sub at o kts while submerged it will slowly sink and due to the slight rate of descent, the sub does not get damaged when it touches bottom (although in deep water-boat will be destroyed at crush depth)---sub needs to be going at least 1 kt to maitain depth and and 3 kts to change depth. Think the reasoning for it was more realestic submerged sub simulation. I have experianced the sinking firsthand (un-wanted) while lining up a torp shot on a revenge class at okts submerged:damn:

my wording "mod" might be wrong--it could be just changed files and code inside the larger NYGM mod and not a stand alone version. im not using Nygm right now so i can not check. I have seen past threads talking about it and i think it was discussed in the NYGM thread. I am realitivly new to posting on forums and i do not know how to insert a thread link:oops: ----sorry wish i could be more help---maybe one of the gurus around here can steer you in the right direction.

Dowly
08-02-06, 05:28 PM
Umm... you dont need the humminbird mod. Just cut the engines and press the dive button. Thatīs how I do it. :up:

U-snafu
08-02-06, 05:51 PM
Dowly,
you still need to be using NYGM w/anti-humminbird to recieve no damage when you hit ground don't you?? or does your method work with vaniila or GW?? if so (currently using GW) going to have to try that.

Payoff
08-02-06, 06:16 PM
I dont have either one of the big mods yet, but I lay her down gently all the time without damage. The trick is to be at 0 knots and keep the dive planes down once you settle, as if trying to dive deeper.

Dowly
08-02-06, 06:24 PM
U-snafu, AFAIK, going down using anti-humminbird is the same thing as 0kts dive. Atleast thatīs what I think. :D

U-snafu
08-02-06, 07:50 PM
Dowly, Payoff,

didn't realize that and never tried it, thanks for the info:up:

Reece,
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94539&highlight=Anti-humminbird

firgured the insert thread thing out.....this talks about opposite aspects of the humminbird effect.

Reece
08-02-06, 10:10 PM
Thanks U-snafu, I understand, but not what I want, if I am silent running in shallow water I try to get as low as I can to escape the DC's, this is ok for a while but the depth often changes to even shallow & I end up scraping the bottom, & in a real situation, doing 1 knot, would not kill 2 men & nearly destroy the boat!:-? So I am after a fix for this, but it seems like there may not be one.:cry:
But thanks to all for helping!:up: