PDA

View Full Version : Wet Periscope view--need wipers?

supposedtobeworking
07-31-06, 03:40 PM
is this a bug??

All of the sudden my attack periscope now takes forever to dry off (for the water to run down and view clears up)--it stays blurry for a really long time (45 sec to minute) even at shallow periscope depth making taking shots and tracking a pain-it clears up eventually and then when a wave hits its back to blurry for another minute!!! My Observation scope is fine and doesn't do this--only the attack scope. this is just killing me because it just started happening for no reason yesterday--have been playing for over a month and it was fine. I didn't install any new mods that would affect graphics-- I have latest video drivers and have tried the sedona and extreme forceware 84.xx drivers. No major changes to my system except changing sound acceleration (which i tried changing back)for SWAT 4 to run. I am using:

SH3 Commander 2.6(tried starting without to see if it would fix it--didn't)
Grey Wolves 1.1a
Das Boot Clothes
TDC Slideout for attack scope--this should be a must have btw!(been installed and working fine)

Anyone else had this problem -- there is no slowdown or system lag--the damn thing just stays blurry so i can't see through it...it happens in carreer and single missions and i noticed it yesterday when continuing my career(in base patrol 6). no changes to SH3 Commander config...confused....Anyone run into this--or is there a mod to install little windshield wipers on the attack scope?
thx

Safe-Keeper
07-31-06, 04:01 PM
Happened to me too. It only happened once, so I think it might have to do with that random breakdown system that comes with SH3 Commander?

HEMISENT
07-31-06, 05:15 PM
is this a bug??

All of the sudden my attack periscope now takes forever to dry off (for the water to run down and view clears up)--it stays blurry for a really long time (45 sec to minute) even at shallow periscope depth making taking shots and tracking a pain-it clears up eventually and then when a wave hits its back to blurry for another minute!!! My Observation scope is fine and doesn't do this--only the attack scope. this is just killing me because it just started happening for no reason yesterday--have been playing for over a month and it was fine. I didn't install any new mods that would affect graphics-- I have latest video drivers and have tried the sedona and extreme forceware 84.xx drivers. No major changes to my system except changing sound acceleration (which i tried changing back)for SWAT 4 to run. I am using:

SH3 Commander 2.6(tried starting without to see if it would fix it--didn't)
Grey Wolves 1.1a
Das Boot Clothes
TDC Slideout for attack scope--this should be a must have btw!(been installed and working fine)

Anyone else had this problem -- there is no slowdown or system lag--the damn thing just stays blurry so i can't see through it...it happens in carreer and single missions and i noticed it yesterday when continuing my career(in base patrol 6). no changes to SH3 Commander config...confused....Anyone run into this--or is there a mod to install little windshield wipers on the attack scope?
thx

That's part of the Sabotage/Malfunctions mod included in Commander 2.6.
Either use the observation scope(if that's not blurred also-very very rare but possible)or wait the 45 seconds. The lens seals are bad.

supposedtobeworking
07-31-06, 05:21 PM
ok well i thought of that actually after i posted, since it happened to you that is probably it, but what kind of a malfunction is that anyway?? is there a device on a submarine that operates to clear the scopes of water-? i thought it just rolled off the lens because of natural gravity....anyways ill check on it tonight when i continue my 7th patrol, hopefully they will have fixed whatever it is in port..

--oh lens seals huh? i don't know what those are, but i guess that is pretty cool then that it is simulated--thanks for letting me know.

HEMISENT
07-31-06, 06:26 PM
ok well i thought of that actually after i posted, since it happened to you that is probably it, but what kind of a malfunction is that anyway?? is there a device on a submarine that operates to clear the scopes of water-? i thought it just rolled off the lens because of natural gravity....anyways ill check on it tonight when i continue my 7th patrol, hopefully they will have fixed whatever it is in port..

--oh lens seals huh? i don't know what those are, but i guess that is pretty cool then that it is simulated--thanks for letting me know.

The lens clears when water rolls off it. Similiar to binoculars there are multiple lens glasses. There are also lens seals(rubber?) which protect everything internally from water pressure. During DC attack the periscope is vulnerable to taking damage-this is why it fits into a well in the conning tower. Also, later in the war the resistance used to use acid on certain seals and packings to help prevent a boat from completing its mission.
This was the best I could come up with at the time.
Try doing a search on the forum for Sabotage/Malfunctions.

OS1Mac
07-31-06, 07:08 PM
I once had the same problem with my attack periscope using SH3CDR 2.6, so I had to use my observation periscope throughout my mission. I've had to turn around a couple of times to return to base for repairs since I began using Hemisent's random equipment failure mod that's incorporated into SH3CDR. I think it's a fantastic addition to the game and very realistic. Now, I make sure that I check my critical equipment as soon as possible.

irish1958
07-31-06, 07:11 PM
Great Hemistat; keep it up; please add the type II and some early war problems.
A kaleun should test his boat. When I take a boat out, as soon as I clear the harbor I test my boat. Run my boat at flank for several minutes, and then test all speeds. Submerge and test my scopes and hydrophone (there is almost always a ship in the area to track; run submerged at all speeds; test my navigator's ability to sound the sea floor, etc.
Perhaps all kaleuns now should do this.

HEMISENT
07-31-06, 08:21 PM
Great Hemistat; keep it up; please add the type II and some early war problems.
A kaleun should test his boat. When I take a boat out, as soon as I clear the harbor I test my boat. Run my boat at flank for several minutes, and then test all speeds. Submerge and test my scopes and hydrophone (there is almost always a ship in the area to track; run submerged at all speeds; test my navigator's ability to sound the sea floor, etc.
Perhaps all kaleuns now should do this.

Irish
That's the way to avoid surprises. Have you tried playing after June 1944 yet. I have heard nothing from anyone playing in this time period and getting one of the sabotage files. Just curious-glad you like it.

As for the type II's I'll have them done for you by middle next week-got sidetracked with house stuff.

supposedtobeworking
08-01-06, 12:45 AM
well wait a minute---I am in a type IID boat so if I understand you correctly there are no malfunctions programed for that boat? Hope I'm wrong cause that would mean i've got a bug, well i'll find out later tonight.