PDA

View Full Version : "nucs" or "nukes" ?

Onkel Neal
07-25-06, 12:11 PM
a short expression for nuclear
submarines: Should it be "nucs" or "nukes" ?

wrrichard
07-25-06, 12:18 PM
With regard to the American Fleets, I don't think it really matters as all subs are currently nuclear. When I was in the Navy, the word "nuke" typically referred to someone in the nuclear (engineering) field: "he's a f$%^ing nuke".

timmyg00
07-25-06, 01:03 PM
nuke :)

TG

hyperion2206
07-25-06, 02:06 PM
I never heard of the abbreviation "nucs" so I'd say "nukes"!:hmm: :smug: :know:

Henson
07-25-06, 02:44 PM
Nukes are bombs. Nucs are people or Submarines.

"Don't nuke Japan!"

"Don't nuc it out, it's 2+2."

The two words have different connotations.

Onkel Neal
07-25-06, 03:56 PM

"Don't nuke Japan!"

That's the most definitive I've heard so far. Anyone concur?

sonar732
07-25-06, 04:04 PM
I'd have to agree with Henson! :rock::up:

Bubblehead Nuke
07-25-06, 08:55 PM
You are either a Nuke..

or a Coner

Bill Nichols
07-26-06, 07:36 AM
You are either a Nuke..

or a Coner

I'd have to agree with that! :yep:

OneShot
07-26-06, 07:40 AM
Which brings up the question ... what is a "Coner" and why is that person called a Coner?

goldorak
07-26-06, 08:23 AM
Which brings up the question ... what is a "Coner" and why is that person called a Coner?

I'd bet it has something to do with conning tower. :hmm:

Onkel Neal
07-26-06, 09:01 AM
You are either a Nuke..

or a Coner

I'd have to agree with that! :yep:

So, it's "NUKE" ? not "NUC" ? :doh:

Thus sayeth Bill: Nuke :up:

Henson
07-26-06, 11:25 AM

Clean Only, No Education Required. (which couldn't be further from the truth)

We coners live in the forward part of the boat, and 'coner' references that (nose cone...nucs have no idea what most nautical terms like "bow" really mean, just like my eyes glaze over during announcements that end in "micorcuries per milliliter.") Nucs live "back aft" and do mysterious things that push my weapons around in the water.

Rip
07-27-06, 12:22 AM

"Don't nuke Japan!"

That's the most definitive I've heard so far. Anyone concur?

That is the way I have always used them. Without asking Rickover there is no way to be sure!:rotfl:

timmyg00
07-27-06, 09:54 AM
You are either a Nuke..

or a Coner Ditto.

Proud Coner here!

TG

Sub Sailor
07-27-06, 10:09 AM
Nose coners exist to streamline the boat that Admiral Rickover dreamed of. Nose Coners also reduce the number of people on welfare, by putting them on Submarines, and off the streets.
God loves Nukes- Ricover told us so.

Sub Sailor
A very Old Nuke.:rock: :rock:

Sub Sailor
07-27-06, 10:10 AM
It's Rickover, I am doomed .

Sub Sailor.:oops: :oops: :damn:

Bill Nichols
07-27-06, 06:09 PM
Ah yes, the nuke vs coner debate. I once heard that nukes think the torpedo room is part of the reactor protection system :cool:

Maybe 'Nuc' is a shortened form of 'Nuke' ? :hmm:

Sub Sailor
07-27-06, 06:58 PM
Well yes Bill I did, I thought everyone was there for Nuke support. Are you trying to tell me something?:huh:

Rip
07-27-06, 09:23 PM
Well yes Bill I did, I thought everyone was there for Nuke support. Are you trying to tell me something?:huh:

Indeed, many seemed to think that us non-nukes were just there to feed them and keep them from running into anything. I usually only needed to remind them that unless I told the conn there were no threats at PD there would be no family grams not to mention orders to return home had to make it out of the radio room to make them reconsider their cockiness. :smug:

I'll never forget the ruckus and whining when the captain made nukes start cranking when we ran out of noobs that hadn't cranked. The Nukes thought all the E-3 and under should have to repeat crank.:o Nothin like screwing with an E-5 crank:rotfl:

Henson
07-27-06, 11:53 PM
"The purpose of the reactor plant and associated systems is to provide power and propulsion to the weapons system."

That's from YOUR manuals guys...I know, my weps posted it in maneuvering. :arrgh!:

Sub Sailor
07-28-06, 06:51 AM
This series of post has reminded me of the good natured ribbing that flew around during a long deployment that truly helped time pass.
I never knew ANYONE in all my years on the boats who really felt that any job aboard was less important than someone else's.
Pride runs deep in the Submarine Service and I hope always will. At the same time I would hope the competition always remains, that is what makes a great crew and boat.
I want to thank all of you for binging that back. I use to love the ragging that went on between the Departments. But, it always came down to I am on the USS (your boats name), the best boat ever. I suppose to outsiders it would appear childish-my CO can beat your CO etc. But it made for one great service I have to believe it always will.
OK I will admit-Nukes tended to be prima donna's- we could be down right insufferable at times. I recall the "why do I have to qualify forward-because if the front half sinks so does the back half- now get out of the flick and get busy on your quals NUb.

Thanks,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):up:

Bubblehead Nuke
07-28-06, 12:32 PM
I'll never forget the ruckus and whining when the captain made nukes start cranking when we ran out of noobs that hadn't cranked. The Nukes thought all the E-3 and under should have to repeat crank.:o Nothin like screwing with an E-5 crank:rotfl:

I for one enjoyed being the FIRST nuke to crank on my boat. It was enjoyable in that I got to watch EVERY nightly movie while on quals (I was the night crank). I also got to help the forward guys figure out how to rig a fire hose properly. At the time, we nukes could rig a fire hose from SHAFT ALLEY to the torpedo room FASTER that they could from the middle level passageway. And that was with NO staging of equipment folks.

Toptorp92?? You still around guy? I am sure you remember me cranking on one or two occassions.

Herman
07-28-06, 02:51 PM
Can you fellows explain to a non-submariner what 'cranking' is? :)

Bill Nichols
07-28-06, 03:12 PM

It's menial labor work in the galley (cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, etc.)

Henson
07-28-06, 04:11 PM
It's menial labor work in the galley (cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, etc.)

You forgot the part about putting up with constant harassment.

timmyg00
07-28-06, 06:25 PM
You guys are going to hate me, but... I NEVER cranked. :smug:

I went thru the SAEF program; at the time, there were all kinds of incentives and rewards for doing well in the SAEF schools. In BESS, I got promoted to E-3, and after basic electronics A (BERT), I got E-4 because of my grades. The timing of that was such that I was shortly eligible to take the E-5 test... and about 3/4 of the way thru my ESM C-school, I put on the E-5 (When i got to the boat, everyone thought I had flunked out of Nuke school because of that E-5...).

After C-school I reported to SSN-760. It so happened that the senior ESM watch on the Annapolis was due to rotate to shore duty, so they needed to qualify me in ESM as soon as possible (we were always short on ESM watchstanders), as well as send me to BRD-7 school, since the senior guy was the only BRD-7 tech on board. The predicament was presented to the COB, who decided that he could not send me to the galley.

The next COB knew that I had not cranked, and gunned for me from the day he set foot on board until the day I got off the boat. He hated it that he could not send me cranking!! My chief always shielded me from that because we were always so short on competent ESM watchstanders.

End result - I never shot trash, never washed dishes, never served my shipmates dinner... and I have no regrets. :cool:

TG

Sub Sailor
07-28-06, 07:15 PM
I never cranked either TG, and I want apoligize.

Sub Sailor:arrgh!:

Henson
07-28-06, 07:35 PM
Dang, and I thought I was lucky getting off with only 22 days instead of my 60-90.

Y'all rock.

Bubblehead Nuke
07-28-06, 10:54 PM
I did it not once but TWICE!. First time was for about 30 days . Hey, I was a nuke amd they needed the qualified watchstanders.

The second time the C.O. pulled me and 3 other nukes (we were going thru the standard transfer rotations and we were watchstander heavy for once. In fact the only time I remember it) for galley duty just before we started a T.R.E (Tactical Readiness Exam). Anyway, the snakes are always pulling drills at all strange times and well, we loaded the dice a bit. Having 4 sub qualed, nuke trained, galley cranks kind of upset the mix a bit. Of course the C.O.B. told the forward guys that the nukes were getting some makeup time in the galley but the C.O. told us the truth becuase were were a LITTLE upset at having galley duty.

The TRE guys were more than suprised at how FAST and well we responded to fire, flooding, and general hayhem drills. At the end, when we got back to port and we were in our dungarees, well.. I heard a captain call the C.O a sneaky S.O.B for doing it.

This is one of my most fond memories I have of the boat. It might have been menial grundge work. The hours were long, but you know.. those extra helpings got you sigs! I still have my Qual card after all these years and can remember almost all of them being on the mess decks after a meal.