PDA

View Full Version : A few questions abour RUb and SH3 Commander

sumpis
07-12-06, 12:19 PM
1. Is there any invasions and ops modelled in RUb? Invasion of Norway etc. If so, how do I know where and when to go?

2. Do small harbors ever contain ships? I've been in to a couple but they are empty.

3. RUb uses "Radiologlite mod" and SH3Commander uses "NEWSMOD/RADIOMOD", is there a conflict?

4. What happens to the messages sent during time in port, will I never receive them?

5. I think "Radiologlite mod" sometimes give you OK to sink neutral ships, is that correct?

Thanks for any help received!

Egan
07-12-06, 12:56 PM
These answers are based on when we were working on .43 - .45 or so. If there have been any major changes to campaign files since then I don;t know about them but I am pretty sure there hasn't been with regards to the answers.

1: we started doing them but never finished. Norway stuff was partly there as is the Bismark. There are no messages - go by the historical dates and you should be ok.

2: Not in the stock RUB as far as I know. depending on your version there should be a add-in called 'Harbour traffic' which adds ships to harbours although this is probably ony for German ones, I can't actually remember. Again - for various reasons - we never got around to adding ships to allied harbours.

3: I would imagine that ShCommander overwrites the RUB one but you would have to ask JScones about this.

4: As far as I know, all messages are date specific so you won't ever get them if they are broadcast when your are between patrols.

5: The messages are separate from the files which control what countries are neutral. You can sink them but you will still lose renown. Radio messages are purely cosmetic - they are there for atmosphere and nothing more.

I think there have been advances in other mods that use RUB as a base since them for things like ships in harbour. Maybe try Rubini's 'Unified camapign which seems to be very popular, if things like operations and ships in harbour are what you are after.

sumpis
07-12-06, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll try GW or Unified when I get some bandwidth.

sumpis
07-12-06, 04:36 PM
I am trying to find some info on the ops contained in RUb. I am sure I read some tips somewhere about where to be and when, but I can't find it. So I am trying to locate some info on the Ops Mod by Nico71, Jace11, CCIP, Egan, Jasonb885 to no avail.

Where is the best place to find info on mods? I am trying the forums but it's not easy to find the right info.

Egan
07-12-06, 05:24 PM
Well, what do you want to know?

We never spent that much time adding in various historic operations when we did the Ops mod because there was a lot of other stuff that needed doing first. The plan was to add more things like that in later but, for various reasons, we never did. Other people have probably done more since then - the 'unified campaign' seems to have used the Ops-mod as a base for example.

For the Norwegian campaign - well, the invasion started around the 9th of April so there will be an increase in the amount of allied shipping in Norwegian waters around then. The real nuts n bolts of the Ops-mod though was in convoys and single shipping enhancements rather than operations. The name is a trifel misleading but someone else gave it its name ( I can't remember who.)

I should probably point out that if you are mostly concerned with things like D-day or the invasion of Norway you are probably going to be disapointed with the Ops-mod and RUB for the reasons I have outlined above. It's still a blast though and our reworking of the map seems to be everywhere now.

As well as GW and Unified you should also check out NYGM. It's very good.

U-snafu
07-12-06, 05:54 PM
SUMPIS,
try u-boat war ace campaign--i believe it's compatible with RUB. Im using the 1.7 version that is compatible with GW. the uwac thread is on page 3 i believe of the mods forum (sorry don't know how to copy thread line into post yet). it has a lot of historical battles in the campaign. no radio messages as of yet but han solo78 gives a read me file with the mod--just arrange to be at the place at the right time in the game. you can participate in the actions or just watch---i parked near the harbor for the danzing capture and just watched--flights of planes bombing the docked ships, cruiser koinsberg and destroyers shelling with land units and polish ships shooting back. :yep: :yep: :up: :up: . and with the compatible versions--you can keep the great parts of whatever your using( be it rub, gw,or use just stand alone).

JScones
07-13-06, 03:16 AM
3. RUb uses "Radiologlite mod" and SH3Commander uses "NEWSMOD/RADIOMOD", is there a conflict?
No. The NEWSMOD adds period specific text to the career load screen and the RADIOMOD adds a period specific sound file to your gramophone.

The RADIOLOGLITE are extra messages received in the game.

Different files, different purposes.

Note that SH3Cmdr was originally based very heavily on RUb. Indeed, the SH3Cmdr/RUb combination is still perhaps the most compatible mod combination available, although of course SH3Cmdr is fully compatible with all the larger mods currently available.

Sailor Steve
07-13-06, 11:05 AM
5. I think "Radiologlite mod" sometimes give you OK to sink neutral ships, is that correct?

Thanks for any help received!
NO! Radiolog and Radiolog Lite add in historic radio messages that have nothing to do with the game. They are for flavor and immersion only.