PDA

View Full Version : 3dsmax *.obj Export settings

DivingDuck
07-11-06, 05:11 AM
Moin,

iīve problems getting self made *.obj files into the game. After reading lots of threads concerning the export dialogue settings iīve found a tutorial made by Seeadler but unfortunately all screenshots/images were missing. I wonder if someone could advice me of a location where to download those pictures or how to set 3dsmax properly to export to *.obj file that doesnīt cause a crash to desktop after starting the museum out of SHIII.

Regards,
DivingDuck

CB..
07-11-06, 06:11 AM
Sensai's Pack 3D programm (see sticky thread) is i think? the only way to get obj files into the game (via exporting/importing them into the model dat files cloning etc)..
there is some talk of the problems with 3dsmax in that thread--i don't have 3dsmax so i'm not going to be of much use to you on that score--
i haven't seen seadlers tutorial around i must admit--

me i can model with little problem and import again with little problem--but the TEXTURES!!! man what a head-ache--:lol: :damn:
takes all the fun out of the thing

i've made a Blohm und Voss BV 138 sea-plane that i just thought would look nice as a docked ship in harbours etc etc---
the model was great fun to make--the textures utterly impossible --definitely no fun

i've made four different versions and spent a week trying every trick in the book and i'm no wiser now than i was a week ago as to why it just won't accept the texture mapping--there's some sort of multiple redunancy thing going on with the textures in SH3--well over my head

DivingDuck
07-11-06, 07:47 AM
@CB..

Importing *.obj files into the *.dat file using Sensalīs Pack3D is not the problem.
In fact everything works fine until i start the MUSEUM out of the SH3 Main Menu. It starts loading but shortly prior reaching the 100% it ends up in a crash to the desktop.
At first I thought the model could be too complex, but the same problem came up using a simple cube. Even when i import the original *.obj into 3dsmax, export it whitout any changes and reimport (Pack3D) it into the *.dat it does NOT work.
So the problem is definitely a question of the right export dialogue settings in 3dsmax.
But anyhow, thanks for your reply.

Regards,
DivingDuck

CB..
07-11-06, 08:28 AM
@CB..

Importing *.obj files into the *.dat file using Sensalīs Pack3D is not the problem.
In fact everything works fine until i start the MUSEUM out of the SH3 Main Menu. It starts loading but shortly prior reaching the 100% it ends up in a crash to the desktop.
At first I thought the model could be too complex, but the same problem came up using a simple cube. Even when i import the original *.obj into 3dsmax, export it whitout any changes and reimport (Pack3D) it into the *.dat it does NOT work.
So the problem is definitely a question of the right export dialogue settings in 3dsmax.
But anyhow, thanks for your reply.

Regards,
DivingDuck

have you checked to see if the same thing happens in game??

i must admit i have never used the museum when actually playing the game--i certainly haven't checked to see if the same thing occurs when i view my stuff in the museum--and aprt from some sort of obviuos anxiety regarding what might be the cause if it did--as long as the model file worked as per normal in the game it self--i'd be inclined to look else where for the problem--if the model file works in game then it should work in the museum---chances are the issue is either with the museum renderer or with some of the data base entrys that store and show the models specifically within the museum interface-

DivingDuck
07-11-06, 09:05 AM
@CB..

have you checked to see if the same thing happens in game?? No, i did not. It would take too much time to create a mission containing the new vessel and starting it out of the game. The MUSEUM is the fastest and easiest way i can think of to check whether my model is working or not. The renderer should be the same as in the game. So youīre right. If the model is working in the game it should do as well in the museum.
At the present stage of my "work" iīm just checking how the whole thing works. And it appears that i have the same problems i had years ago modeling aircraft for the flight simulator. Itīs not the models, itīs always the damn naming- and or file format conventions that slow me down or bring all my efforts to a stand.

Regards,
DivingDuck

In case you donīt understand what iīm saying, i beg your pardon for my bad English. My German is better, though. ;)

CB..
07-11-06, 09:15 AM
No, i did not. It would take too much time to create a mission containing the new vessel and starting it out of the game. The MUSEUM is the fastest and easiest way i can think of to check whether my model is working or not. The renderer should be the same as in the game. So youīre right. If the model is working in the game it should do as well in the museum.
At the present stage of my "work" iīm just checking how the whole thing works. And it appears that i have the same problems i had years ago modeling aircraft for the flight simulator. Itīs not the models, itīs always the damn naming- and or file format conventions that slow me down or bring all my efforts to a stand.

Regards,
DivingDuck

In case you donīt understand what iīm saying, i beg your pardon for my bad English. My German is better, though. ;)

with me it's the texturing that allways takes all the fun out it all--same with Flight sim modelling--ive checked the museum and all my models are showing up fine--but i haven't attempted to get too specific with the nameing conventions---
perhaps the issue is with the cloning process?

i recomend trying your work in a mission to test wether they show up ok there--i never test in the musuem because it takes twice as long for me to load the museum than it does to load a mission dunno why--

Jg511 Schakal
07-11-06, 12:52 PM
Try these settings. Worked for me.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3964/screen3di.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen3di.jpg)

DivingDuck
07-12-06, 03:12 AM
Moin,

@Jg511 Schakal
thanks, thatīs exactly what i was searching for. Itīs working. :sunny:

Regards,
DivingDuck

bigboywooly
07-12-06, 03:36 AM
Moin,

@Jg511 Schakal
thanks, thatīs exactly what i was searching for. Itīs working. :sunny:

Regards,
DivingDuck

Does this mean you guys are working on some stuff like shipping perhaps ?

DivingDuck
07-12-06, 04:42 AM
Hi,

@bigboywooly

even though iīve some experience in 3d modelling iīm planning on creating a nice fishing vessel first. Since iīm always running out of time i donīt want to rush into a bigger project yet. Iīve done that before with flight simulator and donīt want to do the same mistakes again.
But if you have some suggestions what vessel first, please go ahead. All i need are some blueprints. And i would appreciate if someone could do the work that goes beyond modelling, such as puzzling all parts together with Pack3D.

Regards,
DivingDuck

DivingDuck
07-12-06, 08:20 PM
Hi,

@Jg511 Schakal

iīve encountered new problems. After exporting the *.obj from 3dsmax using the same settings as you and reimporting them into the *.dat very bad looking and angular 3d models show up in the museum. It looks like the smoothing groups were lost during the export/import process.

http://www.a7700.de/extern/defekt1.jpg http://www.a7700.de/extern/defekt2.jpg

Any suggestions how to fix that?

Regards,
DivingDuck

Jg511 Schakal
07-14-06, 05:17 AM
Did you smooth it in Max and collapsed the stack before exporting it?

DivingDuck
07-14-06, 09:08 AM
Moin,
Did you smooth it in Max and collapsed the stack before exporting it?
Yes i did. Even when i imported the original *.obj file and exported it without any changes this problem occured. But meanwhile this problem has become history. Iīve updated to Max8.
But, as always, the next problem appeared already. The textures are missing in SHIII. When exporting from 3dsmax a *.mtl is created, specifying the used *.tga files. But for some inexplicable reason they donīt show up in the MUSEUM. The model is grey.

Regards,
DivingDuck

Anvart
07-25-06, 03:30 PM

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3964/screen3di.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen3di.jpg)
On - Use materials
Off - Smooth

Add:

# of Digits: 6 ... 8