PDA

View Full Version : Passive Mk48 problems?

Rob86TA
07-08-06, 05:48 PM
Anyone able to confirm this strange Mk48 behaviour with LWAMI 3.02?

I've created a dummy mission to confirm. I put an Oscar II doing 15 knots right in front of me (~10'000 yards) and fire a Mk48 on passive. The torpedo enables and goes right past him, doesn't even see him

I'm going to remove LWAMI and see if the same thing happens without it...

Rob86TA
07-08-06, 06:04 PM
Hmnn... even without LWAMI the Mk48 in passive seems to float right by. Only if the enemy sub eventually gets spooked and drops CM's does it home on them, but it seems to be ignoring the Oscar...

Molon Labe
07-08-06, 07:46 PM
Make sure the torp speed is no greater than 45 knots.

Even at a reduced speed, passive torps might not acquire subs in LW/Ami. Passive torps are primarily ASUW weapons, and will only perform well against the very loudest of submerged contacts.

Rob86TA
07-10-06, 04:42 PM
Yup.. that's it. I guess I over-estimated the seeker on the Mk48 (or under-estimated the noise generated by its propeller at 55kts) as I thought that at point blank range the Oscar would have been loud enough to detect.

LuftWolf
07-11-06, 06:38 PM
The axial-piston engine on the Mk48 is very loud, but also the flow noise of the water over the nose of the torpedo when it is moving above a certain speed washes out the passive (and eventually active) sensor.