PDA

View Full Version : U-Tanker

cobalt
07-06-06, 03:07 PM
so its feb 1942, i'm running a viic from 1st flotilla brest, and ive been designated the search grid bb79, off the coast of canada. now i might not have the fuel capacity to do this whole trip, granted im staying submerged all the time and just coming up to recharge, so i save fuel. theres a u-tanker about 400km north of halifax but i dont want to use it and then have my patrol count jump up one. is there anyway around this?

bigboywooly
07-06-06, 05:26 PM
None at all AFAIK
Milk cows are classed as a naval base so when you dock at one your current patrol ends

JScones
07-06-06, 06:03 PM
Correct. You dock, patrol ends. Renown, medals, promotions etc are awarded as per any normal completed patrol (well, kind of - within the limitations of docking at any non-home base).

There's ways to "soften" the blow so to speak; SH3Cmdr R2.6 and SH3Patrol utilise methods to more gracefully handle Milk Cow dockings, but at the end of the day, a docking is still recorded by SH3 as the completion of a patrol.

HEMISENT
07-06-06, 09:08 PM
That's why I always pre-plan a resupply. Set Commander to 1 or 2 days in base, head right to the milch cow and top off the tanks before heading to desired patrol area. That way all or most of my tonnage will be recorded for that particular patrol entry. There really isn't any way around this that I know of. Thanks to SH3 Commander we can at least set the days in base to something other than default 30+ which seemed ridiculous.

JScones
07-06-06, 09:11 PM
And with SH3Cmdr R2.6 you won't even need to manually change the days in base value - SH3Cmdr will automatically recognise when you are docked at a milk cow or friendly port and adjust the days to 1 "behind the scenes".

jaxa
07-07-06, 03:38 AM
JScones, it sounds very good, really useful option.

bigboywooly
07-07-06, 06:51 AM
:up: Yes very useful option that
There are times I have forgot to change days and ended up at a milkcow forever:damn:

Letum
07-07-06, 08:55 AM
granted im staying submerged all the time and just coming up to recharge, so i save fuel.

Doing that uses more fuel. The most efficant way to travel is running on the surface at 7.5 knots and stopping alltogether when the windspeed is above 14