PDA

View Full Version : I've Had A Gut Full !

Venatore
07-05-06, 01:04 AM
This is it in a nutshell.

My modem is pumping out a awsome 40.0kb download and it's taken me 7 days to download the TGW 1.1a mod.

I've followed the step by step procedure for the installing.

I can't install it, due to many corrupt files (lost count).

Checked the FAQ on TGW site and found this:

Q: When running TGW11a.exe I keep getting messages stating that the installation files are corrupt. What's wrong with your files?
A: Nothing. The source files are 100% verified. This problem is caused by at least one of the files becoming corrupt through downloading. The correct file sizes, in bytes, for each download piece are:

TGW11a.exe - 547,845
TGW11a-1.bin - 178,751,648
TGW11a-2.bin - 179,300,000
TGW11a-3.bin - 179,300,000
TGW11a-4.bin - 179,154,367

If your file sizes differ, you'll need to re-download the corrupted piece(s).

Even if the file sizes are the same, the file(s) could still be corrupt. If you cannot identify the corrupted .bin file(s), re-download and try each one sequentially.

I look at my files and this is what I've download from their mirror site:

TGW11a-1 174,563 kB
TGW 11a-2 175,098 KB
TGW 11a-3 175,098 KB
TGW 11a-4 174,956KB and
TGW exe 535KB

Now I can see that the mirror file sizes don't match the FAQ sizes. I was looking so forward to having my game like most peoples, but this is a nightmare!. The FAQ also says:

you'll need to re-download the corrupted piece(s).

at 40.0kb, I doubt it! and to re-download this entire package is just to extreme for my little set up, and please don't tell me to up grade to broadband ( can't afford it )

These are all the errors:
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Movie s\BackGrnd\Back1.bik
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat2B\NSS_Uboat2B.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat7c41\NSS_Uboat7c41.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat9b4\NSS_Uboat9b4.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Zone. cfg
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Air\E nglishNames.cfg
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Air\G ermanNames.cfg

and the list just keeps on going!

I don't know what to do?

enaceo
07-05-06, 01:20 AM
It's most likely the mirror site...is it the official one?Or a trustable one?I've had the same sh** happen to me with other mods for other games or other stuff from the net.By the looks of it you are going to dwnload again,however i could be wrong so don't act just yet...but i can't understand how it took you 7 days to dwld that with 40kb/s/.Anyway,talk to an admin or something from the site you dwlded it .

Venatore
07-05-06, 01:26 AM
Yea, it's one of two download sites on TGW site, so I hope it is a trusted site ?:hmm:

Seminole
07-05-06, 01:30 AM
:hmm: I don't know what to say....other than one of those download utilities might help. I used them before I got broadband and they saved my bacon when downloading large files. It seemed back then an impossible task to download a large file without it either being interrupted or corrupted until I installed an ran one of the freeware download utilities.

With broadband I downloaded my GW 1.1a in 15 minutes or less...put all the files in a single folder on desktop and clicked on the .exe file. The mod installed and the modded sim ran without a hitch.

The biggest problem I have these days is reading posts from those who for some reason insist on using colored fonts to write messages instead of black. I get my gutful having to highlight messages in order to read them. :lol:

Venatore
07-05-06, 01:34 AM
I envy you sir.

Drebbel
07-05-06, 01:45 AM
Maybe you could try downloading at the neighbours/work/school/friends/library/internetcafe

enaceo
07-05-06, 01:51 AM
Offtopic:you should get broadband-it's not that expensive.Here where i am ,in Romania ,it's about 20euros or so per month (and the salary's here are really low like 100 euro's or less as a minimun which is what my parents have )

Drebbel
07-05-06, 01:58 AM
20% of your income for broadband. That means it is incredible expensive !!!

Reece
07-05-06, 02:27 AM
You got mail!!:up:

Venatore
07-05-06, 02:48 AM
:o............................Reece you are a true Australian!:up::rock::()1:

JScones
07-05-06, 03:03 AM
I look at my files and this is what I've download from their mirror site:

TGW11a-1 174,563 kB
TGW 11a-2 175,098 KB
TGW 11a-3 175,098 KB
TGW 11a-4 174,956KB and
TGW exe 535KB

Now I can see that the mirror file sizes don't match the FAQ sizes. I was looking so forward to having my game like most peoples, but this is a nightmare!. The FAQ also says:

you'll need to re-download the corrupted piece(s).

at 40.0kb, I doubt it! and to re-download this entire package is just to extreme for my little set up, and please don't tell me to up grade to broadband ( can't afford it )

These are all the errors:
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Movie s\BackGrnd\Back1.bik
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat2B\NSS_Uboat2B.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat7c41\NSS_Uboat7c41.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Subma rine\NSS_Uboat9b4\NSS_Uboat9b4.cam
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Zone. cfg
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Air\E nglishNames.cfg
C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Air\G ermanNames.cfg

and the list just keeps on going!

I don't know what to do?

The first thing is that you are comparing kilobytes to bytes (the FAQ specifically says *byte* sizes). Compare bytes to bytes and you'll get a better "quick" indication of possible corruption. Simply right-click a file and select "Properties"; the size in bytes will then appear.

The second thing is it appears that you're not using a download manager. On dialup, this is pretty much essential.

Unfortunately, the longer you are exposed to file downloading the more likely the file will get corrupt. If you are on time based, or limit based dialup plans, even moreso. I know someone here who I think was pulling his hair out trying to get the bigger mods like NYGM and GW to work, before finding out that the problem was a constraint imposed by his ISP. Nothing anybody else can do about that.

Both download sites are "trusted" and have 100% verified files. I regularly run checksum comparisons against the source files in addition to regularly d/l and re-testing on my machine.

From looking at the error messages you posted, it looks like TGW11a-2.bin is the corrupted file.

Your options:
-redownload TGW11a-2.bin
-contact Neal Stevens, make a donation to Subsim, and have GW1.1a posted out to you on DVD.
-hope that a kind hearted Australian reads your plight and sends it to you on DVD/CD. EDIT: Could this already be the case? ;)

I'd also say upgrade to broadband, but you seem pretty much against that (it's really not that much more expensive than dialup if you shop around).

It's boils down to simply being that 670mb of files and dialup do not go well together. Short of a) stripping out 90% of GW or b) splitting the source d/l files into sizes no more than 4mb, there's no easy, foolproof solution to d/l via dialup.

I know this isn't what you want to hear.

Venatore
07-05-06, 03:07 AM
Thankyou sir for your feedback and help:up:

Venatore
07-05-06, 03:49 AM
The first thing is that you are comparing kilobytes to bytes (the FAQ specifically says *byte* sizes). Compare bytes to bytes and you'll get a better "quick" indication of possible corruption. Simply right-click a file and select "Properties"; the size in bytes will then appear.

After JScones informed me of my incompetence:yep: I did what he said ("Simply right-click a file and select "Properties")and yes all files are the correct weight and size, so this is even more strange as to why it's not loading up?:hmm:

JScones
07-05-06, 04:03 AM
A byte size comparison is a mechanism to quickly identify corrupt files, for if byte sizes differ, there's no doubt that the file is corrupt.

But, same byte sizes do not necessarily mean that all is OK. There are many reasons why a d/l file will report the same byte size but still be corrupt.

The only true way to tell is to do a checksum comparison, ie a comparison of file *contents*, not just size. The installer does this as it runs, hence the error messages.

The error messages will indicate which "piece" is corrupt, as the files are stored within the installer in alphabetical order.

File extensions...
.000 to .bik in TGW11a-1.bin
.bik to .mp3 in TGW11a-2.bin
.mp3 to .tga in TGW11a-3.bin
.tga on in TGW11a-4.bin

frog7
07-05-06, 04:28 AM
Hi Venatore
If you still have problem dowloading ill cut it to Disk and send it to you via mail no charge i live in the UK...if you want to..up to you. Iv got GW installed and its great...the reason you ask is the Austrailians are good old mates:up: ....it may take a few days to get to you..but as i said if you want to that is.

The Frog