PDA

View Full Version : Scapa The Way It's Supposed To Be - THX Grey Wolves

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
06-30-06, 10:44 AM
i decided to take a day to relax and try the installation... even though i was sure i was in for many minutes of frustrations and errors before i could actually begin to relax...

boy, was i wrong... the install was easier than the download (i got it from the ftp site, one file at a time), and i embarked on a new career (the current one being lost to the install i think, but no mind, it was well worth it), departing a harbor with many ships either docked or moving about, as well as a few planes flying past overhead... there were even a few subs in the harbor... neat, ehh :D

but i was soon to find, that wasn't the best of it all... later i tried out a few single missions (never played much of em before), and after surviving a nasty encounted with a destroyer, i surfaced my type XXI and noticed that i had ineed taken some battle damage... the sail and mid deck hull were blacked with burn marks... cooool... :D

but it was not untill i tried out the Scapa Flow single mission that the depth of the work that went into this mod really start to really become absolutely apparent... i entered the southeastern approach at about 18:50 Grenwich, putting away at full speed on the surface, when i saw something that i couldn't quite make out... i ordered a starshell up (reckless i know), only to see a couple of sunken hulks dead ahead, immediately blocking my course...

all back emergency... hard left rudder i shouted (no really, i did yell this out :lol: ), and soon the sub came to a stop... i sat there a while looking around... this was sooooo coooool...

i navigated a course around and in between the sunken vessels, and continued through the narrow inlet, and then up towards the Flow... a few minutes later one of the lookouts picked up a visual on a surface ship... a small merchant... it looked like it was on the surface, helpless and sitting there asking to be sunk... so, i called the deck gun crew out, lofted another starshell, and proceeded to open fire on my first catch...

then suddenly i noticed another flare heading skyward... somone else was interested in seeing, i didn't fire those... then another starshell popped up... not wanting to be noticed, i signaled the dive and went down to periscope depth...

did the small ship radio someone... did the British lookouts on shore notice the fireworks i had so stupidly started... i duuno, but whichever, i realized that i was now being hunted...

... and after all, isn't that what it's all about :yep:

GREAT WORK GREY WOLVES TEAM... BIG THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED...
NOW THIS IS A REAL WWII SUB ADVENTURE :up:

--Mike

Kpt. Lehmann
06-30-06, 10:49 AM
Very cool account of your adventure mate!!!

I'll pass the word to the Wolves!

... and from all of us... Thanks for taking the time to post your good thoughts.

:up: :up: :up:

Mast
07-01-06, 08:34 AM
Hehe...using "GW" right now. Got a mission to go to the east coast, just off NY city. Not happy about it due to the shallow water but we shall see how it goes.

Mast

frog7
07-03-06, 05:55 AM
I had put my silenthunter3 away unitill i seen the GW Mod....now its like a new sub sim.....great work guys..realy good work..i look forward to the next mod:up:

Nippelspanner
07-03-06, 07:39 AM
Hehe...using "GW" right now. Got a mission to go to the east coast, just off NY city. Not happy about it due to the shallow water but we shall see how it goes.

Mast

Be very careful there, i was surprised by an destroyer, my crew was sleeping i guess... dived, wabo´s -> sunk after 20minutes... no chance in 20m depth...:down:

Safe-Keeper
07-03-06, 11:50 AM
Good God, Scapa Flow raids are hard in Grey Wolves. I've attempted them over a dozen times and survived... 2 times. The combination of shallow waters and a horde of destroyers makes for a very difficult approach and escape.

The barricade ships I actually knew about from a screen shot, but they're mighty cool still.

A good idea is to to head North for Scapa Flow harbour (yes, there's a harbour now!). It'll be packed with docked ships. Alternatively, search the bay itself for anchored battleships, cruisers, etc. There should be three clusters of anchored ships around the bay if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever you do, never go through the southern approach or into one of the little channels in the south. They're packed with anti-sub nets and mine fields.

PS: You can't sink the barricade ships, can you:-??

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
07-06-06, 12:08 PM
i got lucky... didn't run into any mines on my approach...

i gotta run this one again... try to locate some of those mines :lol:
just to see what they look like ...

yup... this certainly does add a new dimension tot he sim... looking
forward to the next mod.

--Mike

bigboywooly
07-06-06, 12:11 PM
Never actually seen a mine:nope:
Hit a couple tho:damn:
Post a screenshot if you see one