PDA

View Full Version : *** Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack ***

Onkel Neal
06-30-06, 06:49 AM
Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack
http://www.subsim.com/store/large-164.jpg

ON SALE NOW! Click here (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php)

June 29th, 2006 (9:50pm) - Strategy First Inc. and developer Sonalysts Inc have announced that Naval Combat Pack has officially gone gold. "Naval Combat Pack" includes three award-winning naval simulation and strategy games from well-known developer, Sonalysts Inc.

Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack is a blend of simulation and strategy that allows the gamer to control every detail and give orders from the Captain’s chair. Players control "billions" of dollars in modern naval hardware including nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers, and fighter aircraft. Mission objectives range from strategic missile strikes and enemy surveillance, to heavy-hitting surface battles.

In addition, Sonalysts is including a bonus documentary "A Century of Silent Service" DVD which is packed with over 90 minutes of interviews (including former President Jimmy Carter), authentic historical submarine footage, and numerous bonus features.

ON SALE NOW! Click here (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php)

LuftWolf
06-30-06, 06:52 AM
Yeah, SCS had a good idea here! :rock:

Where can I buy again Neal? :cool:

Cheers,
David

Onkel Neal
06-30-06, 06:55 AM
It is not yet available for sale but when it is, you can buy through a link on this page

Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php)

Winston
06-30-06, 07:39 AM
My hart skipped a beat when I had seen this on the front page. I thought maybe an expansion pack for Dangerous Waters. Still no matter, I might just get in anyway as I lack 688i and Fleet command. And the DVD looks pretty nifty.

goldorak
06-30-06, 07:41 AM
Thanks SCS for this incredible news. :sunny:
Anxiously waiting for august. :rock:

OneShot
06-30-06, 09:05 AM
The DVD is great, I already watched it thrice (ordered it back in the days when BattleFront sold it). This documentary alone is worth the price, and besides you get evergreens like Fleet Command in this package.

Linton
06-30-06, 10:22 AM
Sorry to be a bucket of cold water ,but will SCS use the profits from this pack to continue development of DW or even something new?

Onkel Neal
06-30-06, 10:57 AM
maybe

Skybird
06-30-06, 11:50 AM
It makes sense to combine Fleet Command with one of the sub games, but why combining 688i and Sub Command?

GhOsT55
06-30-06, 11:55 AM
i dont kno but yeah:rock: now i can get sc yeah and 688i yeah

Onkel Neal
06-30-06, 12:21 PM
It makes sense to combine Fleet Command with one of the sub games, but why combining 688i and Sub Command?

Because they are both made by Sonalysts

goldorak
06-30-06, 12:32 PM

For those (like me) that never had the occasion to buy it ?
And to a certain extent it is very cool to have all the games sonslysts have produced in a single package.

Kurushio
06-30-06, 12:49 PM
This is all good and well...but do the games work with XP? I have Fleet Command and someone told me it doesn't work with XP, never tried though.

Ori_b
06-30-06, 12:58 PM
Wonder how much this package will cost? :hmm:
I would really like to play SC. Had 688i years ago, too scripted for my taste. Judging from what i read about SC here i dont see the use of playing 688i again.

But who am i kidding, like DW this package wont be sold at my country probably. :damn:
Although i hate the idea, if SF puts this package on STEAM ill buy it using it.

Mau
06-30-06, 01:00 PM
Yes it works with XP BUT.......

With FC and a modern computer your screen will be flickering a lot (like at the start with DW on a lot of computer). I have two very new computer (one with NVIDIA vieo card and the other one with ATI) and both has that flickering effect that is really annoying.

It is a well known issue with Naval Warfare Simulation (which is still doing a great job at keeping this great game alive).

However it is seems impossible to be solve by them. I was hoping that SCS can resolve it like they did with the patch 1.03 for DW.
Hopefully they can do it again for FC. PLEASE......
I will then buy the package even though I have FC on my shelf and not playing wiith it because of that bug.

Kurushio
06-30-06, 01:09 PM
If it costs 9.99 I'll buy it...not paying full price for a bunch of old games (one of which I already have). :up:

..I bought 6 games for 14.99...all good games (but old now) BF1942, Medal Of Honour, Secret Waepons Over Normandy, Hitman 2, Motogp2, IL2 (my original is too scratched up) all original all boxed. Though the wankers for some reason...there is no serial number on one game (MOH)...very strange, considering it's an official EA release. Anyway...problem solved...by "creative" means.

Skybird
06-30-06, 03:51 PM
what I meant is that I wonder why one should want to play 688i, when he has SC with it's improved simulation of a 688, available in the same package. That's why I wonder about that combination. As long as it is no smile price of ten dollars, but full price, I fail to see the point in it. A reduced full price for only Fleet Command and Sub Command makes more sense, imo.

Subnuts
06-30-06, 04:04 PM
what I meant is that I wonder why one should want to play 688i, when he has SC with it's improved simulation of a 688, available in the same package. That's why I wonder about that combination. As long as it is no smile price of ten dollars, but full price, I fail to see the point in it. A reduced full price for only Fleet Command and Sub Command makes more sense, imo.
You can import missions from 688I into Fleet Command, and Fleet Command and 688I into Sub Command, and Sub Command into Dangerous Waters (if I'm not mistaken; my computer is so old it can barely run the DW demo...:roll:)

I still remember importing Simcity cities into SimCity 2000 and then into SimCity 3000...:rotfl:

Sea Demon
06-30-06, 06:00 PM
Excellent news. My Fleet Command disk was getting rather scratched from tons of usage. Now I know where I'll get my backup disks of these great games. :up:

It's nice to know I can order this Naval Pack from Subsim. You got a sale here.

Thanks Sonalysts. :D

JamesT73J
06-30-06, 06:55 PM
Worth it to get hold of 688i, which has been extremely hard to get hold of for about 7 years now.

Onkel Neal
06-30-06, 07:41 PM

I was making a bit of a joke, but to be straight with you, I think many will want/buy 688(I) to relive the older subsims, experience them, and they do provide good gameplay. Imagine if we could get Das Boot, Gato, Silent Service, and Wolfpack on a bundle, configured to run under XP. It would be pretty cool. :ping:

sonar732
06-30-06, 08:23 PM
This is all good and well...but do the games work with XP? I have Fleet Command and someone told me it doesn't work with XP, never tried though.

Fleet Command on XP is like a lot of DOS based games on XP. For some people it works fine with the patches provided by Sonalysts, others it still doesn't work. Also, if any NWP people complain about being blindsided...grow up! Sonalsyst as the sole owner of the game doesn't need your permission to re-release it's games.

XabbaRus
07-01-06, 03:29 PM
NWP are complaining? What about?

sonar732
07-02-06, 06:36 AM
Check here...

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=4849&sid=f60e7deebf6be96e9b0ea55b513df417#4849

He edited his comment...too bad I quoted him and it kept what he said. :lol:

JamesT73J
07-02-06, 07:43 AM
I find it a bit sad that so many mod groups develop this attitude. I understand that they devote many man-hours to improving titles, but ultimately, by definition, their activities are after-market. Expecting any input in publishing or design policy (outside of beta-testing a new product, or clarifying modification rights) is unreasonable.

A decent developer will always look out for the community, and I'd say that Sonalysts have been consistent in that respect.

James

Sub Sailor
07-02-06, 09:23 AM
For what is worth, I would recommend that all of you pick this pack up. My very first sim was FC followed shortly by 688i. Yes both are dated and no the graphics are not SC or DW, but they are enjoyable sims. There is a ton of 688i missions out there, and with this combat pack they will come back. I have many of them and if someone want them I will post them, I may need some help (hint hint Sonar732) on posting them.
For you who have not played them-you will like them-just go in with the attitude they are older, but Sonalyst has fixes so they will run with XP-if I can do this I know all you can. Besides older is not bad, I can attest to that.
I still believe 688i is one of the finest submarine sims ever produced. AND, maybe if these sell Sonalyst may see fit to develop and NEW FLEET COMMAND and just maybe a Sub Sim based on the Virginia

Go for it you want be sorry,

Sub Sailor
A really old Nuke:up:

Jamie
07-02-06, 09:36 AM
Hey guys,

The biggest change to 688 and FC is that we had to remove the Jane's information from them and use a common unclassified source. The license to use the Jane's data for these games died with EA, and so in order to avoid unnecessary litigation, we had to modify art, remove the data, and change the TextDLLs to make sure it was "Jane-free". We tried to contact Jane's legal department and license it for this pack's release (which would have cheaper, probably) but were unable to make any progress there.

Since we had to change the codebase for the Jane's removal, we did attempt to update the rendering engines and sound playback to be more XP compatible. Fleet Command was primarily designed for 3dFX cards (it uses an old renderer based off of EA's World War II Fighters called J3) and although there was a DirectX renderer it was not as fast or as stable. We have tried to update the DirectX renderer as best as we possibly can to make it compatible with DirectX9 and Windows XP. Sub Command was given a hardware cursor support which helps alleviate the flickering some were seeing in modern machines. Suprisingly, since 688 uses common Windows GDI graphics calls and simplified DirectX support, it needed the least amount of changes (it works great in XP :)).

None of these changes are major, and the business plan was not to "re-invent" these games but rather to consolidate them and to include another excellent Sonalysts product "A Century of Silent Service".

The bundle is not for everyone, and we understand that. But for $19.99 (including the DVD) we think it's a really compelling value. :know:

Thanks!

Linton
07-02-06, 09:40 AM
Will the dvd be multi region or area 1?Multi region would be good for all of us!

Ori_b
07-02-06, 10:03 AM
I cant believe im going to ask that... :)
But does the inclusion of the DVD means that there will no STEAM release?
Its very hard getting legal coppies of SONALYSTS games in some parts of the world (see my recent post about DW), and as much as i hate it, STEAM will be the easiest way for some.

Kurushio
07-02-06, 10:05 AM
Hey guys,

The biggest change to 688 and FC is that we had to remove the Jane's information from them and use a common unclassified source. The license to use the Jane's data for these games died with EA, and so in order to avoid unnecessary litigation, we had to modify art, remove the data, and change the TextDLLs to make sure it was "Jane-free". We tried to contact Jane's legal department and license it for this pack's release (which would have cheaper, probably) but were unable to make any progress there.

Since we had to change the codebase for the Jane's removal, we did attempt to update the rendering engines and sound playback to be more XP compatible. Fleet Command was primarily designed for 3dFX cards (it uses an old renderer based off of EA's World War II Fighters called J3) and although there was a DirectX renderer it was not as fast or as stable. We have tried to update the DirectX renderer as best as we possibly can to make it compatible with DirectX9 and Windows XP. Sub Command was given a hardware cursor support which helps alleviate the flickering some were seeing in modern machines. Suprisingly, since 688 uses common Windows GDI graphics calls and simplified DirectX support, it needed the least amount of changes (it works great in XP :)).

None of these changes are major, and the business plan was not to "re-invent" these games but rather to consolidate them and to include another excellent Sonalysts product "A Century of Silent Service".

The bundle is not for everyone, and we understand that. But for $19.99 (including the DVD) we think it's a really compelling value. :know:

Thanks!

Hey, no...thanks. I change my mind completely. I just thought they were reboxed old games, but you actually did something to make it compatible with XP. Kudos there...and $19.99 is equivalent to £9.99 (British Pounds)...so right up my street.

Thanks...definitely getting it and definitely worth it then. :up:

Mau
07-02-06, 11:32 AM
So worked for Sub Command (flickering).
What about Fleet Command?

With the changes, did it fix the flickering for Fleet Command as well

I hope so. If it is the cae I wil buy it.

I just want to be sure first

Thanks

moose1am
07-03-06, 07:42 AM
I sure hope so. I would like to see them come up with another patch to fix the problems with the last patch. Patches should fix more stuff and not break anything that was not already working. I wish them luck in their sales though.

Sorry to be a bucket of cold water ,but will SCS use the profits from this pack to continue development of DW or even something new?

Sub Sailor
07-03-06, 01:11 PM
Jamie;
I have original disk for all of these games. MY points for clarifications is, will SCXIIc run with this new package? I understand I would have to do a new install. I must have close to every mission created for 688i, will they work with the improved 688i? I am running the stock Fleet Command, with the patches from Sonalyst so that should not present a problem.
To all on you on this site I will say again this is a good deal even with out the DVD, I say jump on it as soon as we can. Hey I have extra copies of all three sims, and I will still buy it to get the fixes. I would advise all of you to consider the following, Using the FC mission editor you can build a lot of missions, I am making a wild guess but I must have 300 custom scenarios for 688i, and I am not sure how many I have for SCXIIc, and yes they are dated but believe me when I say 688i is still a fun sim, I play mine a lot. I just started working on some FC scenarios, and just finished one for SC, but it is worth $20 to get rid of the flickering.
I have no problem with a company making money if I am profiting from it in some way and my read on this offer is it is a win/win for all of US, well maybe not for the other organization. I really don't know.

Run silent, run deep,

Ron banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):rock:

Mau
07-03-06, 01:17 PM
Flickering stop with SC. Ok
Can we confirm the same thing with FC.. That was not clear

Thanks

Hellcat
07-03-06, 09:02 PM
hmmm a working stable verison of Fleet Command would be worth the purchase right there...

Concerning 688i (I regret selling my copy), I think it's great that they decided to include it. I've got an old laptop kicking around somewhere which would handle it nicely. :up:

Rob86TA
07-03-06, 10:09 PM
Jamie,

What's the best way to purchase the pack so that SCS gets the most profits? Anything you guys need to fund expansions for DW!

Seadawg23
07-03-06, 11:33 PM
I must SAY!!!!!!! WOO WOO>.....I have never owned ANY SONALYSTS games except DW.....must say DW....ROCKS....if it is as good as it is....AND i can get my hands on FLEET Command which is what I want....then let me SMACK my wife and call the girlfriend cause the BUFFET is now never closed....LMAO

Seriously....this just rocks....I will only buy the game if it is a boxed set...on shelf at store...any ideas??

Mau
07-04-06, 03:58 AM
Again,

Can somebody answer that one ...Jamie..

Was there any changes for FC so that there are no more flickering.

I know you said it about SC, but not sure about FC?

Thanks

Linton
07-04-06, 04:08 AM
I pm'ed Jamie about the dvd but he has not replied.Perhaps one of the mods could ask him to give some answers to our many questions.

Nexus7
07-04-06, 04:23 AM
Thanks!

Does this mean that the Naval Combat Pack costs $19.99 or am I getting it wrong?

Jamie
07-04-06, 11:37 AM
OK, I'll see if I can hit all of the points...
Fleet Command - The most difficult part about FC's renderer is that it was code created by EA which we were "encouraged" to use. In other words, EA knew the J3 rendering engine well and it would ease their burden of tech support because they could troubleshoot many technical issues more readily (that was back when the Tech Support was actually done by publishers, of course... now I just get daily emails from the publishers forwarding user problems and the burden falls back in our lap :lol:)... But I digress...And since J3 is now woefully out of date, we approached the graphical issues in a few ways. We tried to synchronize the refresh rate to whatever is recommended by the hardware, often this maintains focus for the graphics card, but sometimes not. We added the "-windowed" command line parameter like was in Sub Command. Now the flickering will be alleviated because the game will be running in a window (not fullscreen DirectX "exclusive mode") and therefore will be forced to update at the same refresh rate as the user's desktop (this is a last resort, but it works).

DVD encoding - I don't think the DVD is region encoded at all (does that make it Multi-region?). How can I tell when playing the DVD in PowerDVD or Windows Media Player... Does anyone know?
Steam - We're still trying to figure this one out. Getting the games on there is a "no brainer" but the DVD content is a different matter. We're trying to figure out a way to still protect the DVD video files (which I encoded to a PC-friendly format without losing much clarity) so that someone won't just grab the files from the Steam directory and host them on their website or P2P networks, etc... We're still giving it some thought on how to best approach this issue within the Steam framework. :)
Price and Box - Yup, it's 19.99 for all three games (688, FC, and SC) and the DVD. ;)http://www.strategyfirst.com/images/games/boxes/large-164.jpg ... and ... http://www.strategyfirst.com/images/games/special/NavalCombatPack/century_low.jpg

Why include 688? - Because it's a part of our history at SCS... i.e. "The One That Started It All". There is still some good content in there for those who did not buy it the first time (Missions, Campaigns, etc). The videos of Nuke are still funny to this day, and the game is "rock solid" in XP. Don't see any harm in including it. Heck, I bought a game that came out in 1998 a few weeks ago (for $5) and am having a blast with it on XP... :DThanks!

goldorak
07-04-06, 11:52 AM
DVD encoding - I don't think the DVD is region encoded at all (does that make it Multi-region?). How can I tell when playing the DVD in PowerDVD or Windows Media Player... Does anyone know?

Start power dvd (with the dvd in the drive), then right click on the screen and choose configuration from the contextual menu, then click on the information tab. Right at the top you should see an entry named "title region code" which should indicate if the dvd is region free (code 0) or not.

Nexus7
07-04-06, 12:04 PM
I really hope that this maneuver succeeds in gaining many more people in the naval simulations community! The price is very low and I would expect that it will sell very well...

About myself, I'll buy one for my self, but I consider it a good (and cheap) choice for a gift also :yep:

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Jamie
07-04-06, 12:05 PM
Start power dvd (with the dvd in the drive), then right click on the screen and choose configuration from the contextual menu, then click on the information tab. Right at the top you should see an entry named "title region code" which should indicate if the dvd is region free (code 0) or not.
OK, got it thanks!

I'll check it out when I get to work tomorrow (today is a holiday in the U.S. so I have no DVD here at home to check).

LuftWolf
07-04-06, 12:26 PM
I'll check it out when I get to work tomorrow (today is a holiday in the U.S. so I have no DVD here at home to check).

Are you trying to get us to buy two out of sympathy for you? ;) :lol:

Great to hear from you Jamie!

Cheers,
David

PS I hope everything is going well! :cool:

Wim Libaers
07-04-06, 02:17 PM
Steam - We're still trying to figure this one out. Getting the games on there is a "no brainer" but the DVD content is a different matter. We're trying to figure out a way to still protect the DVD video files (which I encoded to a PC-friendly format without losing much clarity) so that someone won't just grab the files from the Steam directory and host them on their website or P2P networks, etc... We're still giving it some thought on how to best approach this issue within the Steam framework. :)

Why bother? Even if you could give perfect protection to the Steam files, it would be trivial for those with the DVD to post copies. The same is true for region encoding: it's an annoyance for legitimate users, and no obstacle at all for the pirates because the ways to break the encoding have been public domain knowledge for years.

By the way, will the pack also be available in Europe?

Mau
07-04-06, 02:33 PM
Looking forward to hear from people who bought it with their Specs and system interface to see if FC is not flickering anymore

I really hope so....!!!!!!

OneShot
07-04-06, 03:35 PM
As far as the DVD goes, if it is the same as the one that was sold separately by BFC then it is Region Free (as are all Documentaries I believe). At least I had no problem at all running the DVD in my DVD Player (Europe). Unfortunatly I can't take a look at it right now, but once I'm back home I'll check, unless someone else is faster.

Cheers
OS

Jamie
07-05-06, 08:04 AM

Appears to be Region-free... :up:

Player Information:
Player Region Code: Not Specified
Current Drive: E:
Title Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks!

havocsquad
07-05-06, 11:11 AM
Will this be only directly sold via web ordering or will any of the major retailers North America or Europe see this on their shelves?

Don't worry about this package doing well, if there's money in my account, you got a copy purchased here.

Just curious.

Later,

Havoc.

Kurushio
07-05-06, 05:01 PM
Well, I have to say, after my initial sceptisism, this pack seems an excellent bargain and something not to miss. 19.99 is a good price for all that..:up:

Linton
07-06-06, 05:42 AM
Iam glad the dvd is multi-region.A price of $19.99 is quoted,what will the price be for shipping to Europe?I am certainly going to order it!:D

Jamie
07-06-06, 08:08 AM
Looking forward to hear from people who bought it with their Specs and system interface to see if FC is not flickering anymore

I really hope so....!!!!!!

Oh, and I almost forgot. FC now has mouse support in the 3D window (similar to SC and DW) so you can easily pan and rotate the view to watch the aircraft taking off from the carrier, follow a missile into its target, etc. without having to use CTRL+ArrowKeys...

Small feature, but the game needed it BAAAADLY. :doh:

Jamie
07-06-06, 12:11 PM
Seriously....this just rocks....I will only buy the game if it is a boxed set...on shelf at store...any ideas??

It will be available in stores (not sure which retailers yet) and on Steam (eventually).

However, it goes without saying that if you want to buy the boxed version, there's only one place you should buy it through and that's through The Subsim Store (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php), of course. ;)

I'm always for supporting Admiral Neal Stevens, when possible. :up:

Sub Sailor
07-06-06, 01:05 PM
I want the box set and I would like to buy so it may be beneficial to SUBSIM as well as Sonalyst.
Do you want early orders for the box set?

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):D

XabbaRus
07-15-06, 06:20 PM
Check here...

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=4849&sid=f60e7deebf6be96e9b0ea55b513df417#4849

He edited his comment...too bad I quoted him and it kept what he said. :lol:

Late picking this up but why am I not surprised.

Sea Demon
07-15-06, 06:35 PM
Any word when we can place an order on Subsim? My credit card is itchin' to go.

LuftWolf
07-16-06, 02:27 AM
All the SCS community modders are crazy.

The Bandit
07-16-06, 04:51 PM
I was just wondering, some one brought this up on the sonalysts board as well but, have the stability issues with XP been solved (I mean besides the screen flicker) Regretfully I never got FC to run very well (no offence to sonalysts, FC is still probably my favorite war game) the first time I used it was on an old IBM 266mhz Pentium 2 which could BARELY run it, then I put it on my P4 1.6ghz and it ran better but still had some serious issues. Specifically I am talking about the way save files some time corrupt and the CTDs that usually happen about 15 or so minutes into the game. There was also this annoying thing that would happen when ever some one was fireing a missle. The Game would freeze and just keep repeating "Missile away, missile away, missile away" or what ever sound bite was playing. I can't wait to get this game and I will place an order ASAP (my copy of FC is rather beaten up as well) was just wondering about some of the issues that I encounterd. Just for further info I had a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX 400 64 meg card then. I heard that it ran better on ATIs but dunno for sure

Edit: way to go Sonalysts for getting these old classics up and running again

Deadeye313
07-17-06, 08:20 AM
I can't wait to play Fleet Command. I tried the demo way back when and thought it was a great game but could never find a copy.

if I have one request of the sonalyst people, if it's not too much trouble and can be done in time, can you fix the demo for Fleet command too? People like to try demos before buying the game and it doesn't seem right that an improved version should be hampered by an out-of-date demo.

Also, you said you took out all the Jane's references. Will there still be some kind of reference guide so we know when to use the AIM-120 and when to use the AIM-9? DW only has a few missiles so you can keep track of them but Fleet command, even when I played just the demo, gave me the impression it was chock full of stuff. I hope we get at least something comparable to DW's reference guide but it's probably too late now to ask for that, I just hope you did it.

On a side note, I hope the mission editor for fleet command is easy to use. I heard we can export missions from some games to others, will a mission created in fleet command work in dangerous waters?

I personally can't wait to recreate everything from the War on Terror (can you say "campaign"?) to the current Israeli blockade of Lebanon (might be fun blowing up blockade runners).

The Bandit
07-19-06, 12:37 AM
I would think they are still going to have a reference guide just not the JANE's reference guide (think more Sub Command or DC type reference guide). Since its not a Jane's Game any more all the references (written specs and photos) will have to be changed. U might see them go USNI like they did with Sub Command but I dunno.

LoBlo
07-22-06, 04:08 PM
I'm just curious. Is technical data from Jane's really that different that other common sources? I didn't realize that Jane's was so exclusive.

OneShot
07-23-06, 03:10 AM
At least its exclusive in terms of money. They make you pay a ****load for it. And Jane's is considered the Source on Military Hardware (at least thats my understanding).

LoBlo
07-23-06, 11:52 AM
Hm... it would have been interesting to see what stats were assigned to each platform then... on well.

Do we know if all the old SC mod work (SCX) will be compatible with the next released SC?

Sea Demon
07-29-06, 08:27 PM
Will we be able to order Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack next week? I think August 1 is on Tuesday. I'm ready. :up:

Any news?:ping:

Linton
08-01-06, 06:37 AM
It is now August and I have my credit card ready so when can I buy this?

goldorak
08-01-06, 06:39 AM
It is now August and I have my credit card ready so when can I buy this?
Yeah, I'm waiting also.
Since this morning i'm doing F5 on the subsim store :rotfl::rotfl:
Can't wait to buy. :|\\

Onkel Neal
08-01-06, 09:47 AM
:yep: thanks

I've contacted the distributor, he says in about another week, maybe two. I certainly will update you guys here. And I appreciate your support :up:

Wim Libaers
08-01-06, 09:52 AM
Well, it's only the first of August. There are another 30 possible days left ;)

(yes, I'm waiting too, but will it be available in Europe?)

Jamie
08-01-06, 02:21 PM
:yep: thanks

I've contacted the distributor, he says in about another week, maybe two. I certainly will update you guys here. And I appreciate your support :up:

As Neal said... If I hear anything about how the CD duplication is going and/or get an ETA on it's release I will let you (and Neal) know ASAP.

Linton
08-01-06, 05:43 PM
The question that has never been answered is what will this pack cost in europe?Will the subshop be able to support shipping to the UK?Neal where is my mug?

Deadeye313
08-02-06, 08:42 AM
any idea yet what stores will have the Naval Combat pack in them? I'm hoping Best Buy and gamestop at least.

Sea Demon
08-08-06, 04:26 PM
Are we there yet? :)

Linton
08-08-06, 05:39 PM
I am still awaiting a reply about whether this will be shipped to Europe and at what cost:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

Sea Demon
08-15-06, 05:59 PM
*taps credit card on keyboard*

*sighs*

*logs off*........................

:ping:

goldorak
08-16-06, 03:08 AM
*taps credit card on keyboard*

*sighs*

*logs off*........................

:ping:

You'd think SCS & Co would be happy to hear money going their way....:damn:
I think we'll see this pack by august 31 :rotfl:

Linton
08-18-06, 03:38 PM
I have been away a week,any news on when this is coming out?

goldorak
08-18-06, 03:53 PM
I have been away a week,any news on when this is coming out?

Here is the answer : :ping:

Onkel Neal
08-18-06, 03:53 PM
I'm told Aug 21. They have sent me the store code so I have the BUY links ready to go as soon as they say "go!"

Jamie
08-18-06, 04:08 PM
I'm told Aug 21. They have sent me the store code so I have the BUY links ready to go as soon as they say "go!"

Again, the CD images are ready to go... I'm assuming that Strategy First is talking with retailers and trying to get an estimate for the first run of duplication for the 4 CDs and one DVD in the pack.

goldorak
08-18-06, 04:12 PM

Great news :cool:

Oldgold
08-19-06, 01:44 PM
Hey fellows , If you really want to get into Fleet command the NWS website has a very good mod for it at www.navalwarfare.org/ (http://www.navalwarfare.org/). It gives you tons of more units , improved gameplay 160 missions and more campaigns.Alot like SDK was to Sub Command. Good Hunting!:up:
(http://www.navalwarfare.org/)

Jamie
08-19-06, 02:24 PM
I am still awaiting a reply about whether this will be shipped to Europe and at what cost:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

Hey Linton,

I'd tell you if I could, but alas we do not know which publishers/retailers are going to license the NCP in Europe... As soon as I find out, I will gladly let you know.

Bellman
08-21-06, 11:36 AM
:rock:Good steer Oldgold thanks.

The XP combo update and the NWS mod deliver the goods. :|\\
Tip after modding - delete the old FC scenario file and install the new NWS one which is available separately. :yep:

Now when are SA going to dovetail our little tactical Group activity (DW) into the bigger strategic picture of FC ? ;)

Sea Demon
08-21-06, 07:06 PM
The XP combo update and the NWS mod deliver the goods. :|\\
Tip after modding - delete the old SC scenario file and install the new NWS one which is available separately. :yep:

Now when are SA going to dovetail our little tactical Group activity (DW) into the bigger strategic picture of SC ? ;)

SC? Or do you mean FC?

GhOsT55
08-21-06, 10:11 PM
sooo any news on the release of this pack???

Bellman
08-22-06, 01:09 AM
:ping: SD - FC ! :yep:

Fire_Spy
08-22-06, 04:42 AM
Do you guys ,subsim i mean, deliver to Australia? If so how much extra would it cost?

Or is there a distributor for the game over here as well?

Thanks

GhOsT55
08-22-06, 07:35 AM
:ping: SD - FC ! :yep:
SD???

Linton
08-22-06, 09:25 AM
I will probably order the game in the states and get it shipped,but I was wondering what the cost will be.Is the price $30 delivered?

goldorak
08-22-06, 01:46 PM
I will probably order the game in the states and get it shipped,but I was wondering what the cost will be.Is the price $30 delivered?

I'll bet the shipping charges will be anything between 10 and 20 $ + import taxes.

Onkel Neal
08-22-06, 02:32 PM
Well, they told me this week, but so far, still quiet. I'll be away on a special assignment Thurs - Sat, what do you want to bet it goes on sale while I'm away?

Tonight I will turn on the Store Link, and post the page url here. That way we can check the status daily and when it goes live, someone can post "It's aLive!" in this thread and everyone will know.

Many thanks for those of you who are going to buy this cool game pack through the Subsim link. It costs nothing extra to you and it helps Subsim.

On a similar topic, the newest US sub, the Texas, will be coming to Galveston for commissioning. XabbaRus, 2019, and JJ are working up a new design and I'm going to have them put on mugs to give to the Texas CO and crew on behalf of the Subsim community. Your support makes it possible. Thanks!

Neal

Sonarman
08-22-06, 04:31 PM
I'll be away on a special assignment"

Neal

Could your "special assignment" be... a "behind closed doors" visit to the Ubisoft booth at the Leipzig Games Convention to get our SH4 questions answered?

Onkel Neal
08-22-06, 11:51 PM

Neal

Could your "special assignment" be... a "behind closed doors" visit to the Ubisoft booth at the Leipzig Games Convention to get our SH4 questions answered?

No, that's being covered by Dan D, it's in Germany... I'm going to be off the coast of Florida. :ping:

Onkel Neal
08-22-06, 11:57 PM
Naval Pack store link:
http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php)

Click as often as you want to check. Currently, it still says "Boxed purchase not yet available."

Let me know when that changes!

Linton
08-23-06, 04:40 AM
Watch out for hurricanes Neal.You might want to look at this:http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

goldorak
08-27-06, 10:33 PM
Any news yet ?
We are almost on september and the pack is still :ping:.

Sea Demon
08-28-06, 08:42 PM
:ping:..........................:ping:............ .................:ping:........................... ..

Jamie
08-29-06, 07:12 AM
Having problems finding our games? For questions or concerns regarding retail distribution, please contact our Sales Manager: sales@strategyfirst.com

Feel free to contact them... :-?

sonar732
08-29-06, 06:36 PM

Neal

No...he's lucky to hitch a ride on the USS Texas!

P.S. What's the weird face suppose to mean Jamie? Is this a bad sign?

Linton
08-31-06, 04:46 PM
In just a little over 70 minutes it will be September here in Great Britain and the pack is still not available.I will be buying it for Christmas at this rate!

Sea Demon
08-31-06, 04:55 PM
:damn: :damn: :damn:

Last day of August and it's not available. Hate to be a nag, but any news on when? :)

Ramius
08-31-06, 05:27 PM
Haven't seen August 2006 mentioned anywhere in this topic :rotfl:

On another matter though - all these dll changes etc - are they gonna bring about problems if people want to use them online against people who still have the original releases ?

Sea Demon
08-31-06, 05:35 PM
Haven't seen August 2006 mentioned anywhere in this topic :rotfl:

On another matter though - all these dll changes etc - are they gonna bring about problems if people want to use them online against people who still have the original releases ?

You're right. But when this pack was announced, it said available August 2006. So unless they changed that, that's what I was expecting. :shifty: :)

And your other question is a good one. I'd like to see an answer to it myself.

goldorak
08-31-06, 10:37 PM
You're right. But when this pack was announced, it said available August 2006. So unless they changed that, that's what I was expecting. :shifty: :)

And your other question is a good one. I'd like to see an answer to it myself.

I have no confidence in SF, they said available during august 2006, most assuredly that means available during christmas season 2006.
We waited 1 month, we can well wait another 3 months. :damn::damn:

Linton
09-01-06, 02:32 PM
Perhaps they are working on a different calendar.I just hope it is not the Islamic one as we have about 500 years to go!!This is what I think is going on:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=302320#post302320

goldorak
09-05-06, 09:34 AM
So has this pack vanished into thin air ? :doh:

Sea Demon
09-05-06, 07:11 PM
So has this pack vanished into thin air ? :doh:

Good question. :-?

Onkel Neal
09-05-06, 07:41 PM
I'm told " a few more weeks delay". Will post immediately when I get the word :yep:

GhOsT55
09-05-06, 08:44 PM
I'm told " a few more weeks delay". Will post immediately when I get the word :yep:
lets hope soon.

Nexus7
09-06-06, 02:38 PM
Well I am a bit a programmer myself and heck I'm used to misscalculate my development times greatly (too)... for example my last application, I expected the first part'd take months and it toke 3 days... and expected the second part to take 1 day but finally after two weeks trying I had to give it up (to difficult)

Since I want to do this to earn $$$ I informed myself on how to improve those estimations.

Didn't yet try the method but hey... I know for sure this kind of missestimations can cost a LOT of $$$ in some circumstances... :shifty: I'm kind of surprised of the delay!

Jamie
09-06-06, 05:03 PM
Well I am a bit a programmer myself and heck I'm used to misscalculate my development times greatly (too)... for example my last application, I expected the first part'd take months and it toke 3 days... and expected the second part to take 1 day but finally after two weeks trying I had to give it up (to difficult)
As I mentioned previously, the Gold Masters were submitted long ago and have been in the hands of Strategy First for some time. If you would like more information about the release of the Naval Combat Pack (http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/NavalCombatPack/), please contact Strategy First:

Having problems finding our games? For questions or concerns regarding retail distribution, please contact our Sales Manager: sales@strategyfirst.com

Linton
09-06-06, 05:31 PM
So who knows any Christmas carols,because that is when I reckon this will be out!
http://melbotis.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/christmas-present-773776.jpg

Nexus7
09-07-06, 12:13 AM
As I mentioned previously, the Gold Masters were submitted long ago and have been in the hands of Strategy First for some time. If you would like more information about the release of the Naval Combat Pack (http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/NavalCombatPack/), please contact Strategy First:

I apologize for my asinine consideration then :dead:

Sea Demon
09-07-06, 01:09 AM

Done! ;) I'll let you guys know if I get anything in return.

Sea Demon
09-18-06, 06:25 PM
Haven't received anything from Strategy First by e-mail.

But they now show the release date for the Naval Combat Pack as 10/31/06. :ping:

Lookin' forward to that date.

goldorak
09-18-06, 06:28 PM
But they now show the release date for the Naval Combat Pack as 10/31/06. :ping:

Good, at least they are releasing it after all. :yep:

Linton
09-19-06, 06:20 PM
So this is now due on Halloween.I will believe it when i see a ghost submariner knocking on the door!

Jamie
09-20-06, 11:04 AM
Haven't received anything from Strategy First by e-mail.

Lookin' forward to that date.

As far as I know they are on schedule for October. The delay is due to the fact that they are trying to coordinate with Walmart, Best Buy, and some other retailers as well as have a simultaneous release on Steam (which includes the DVD content in a high-res video format that is playable on your PC).

That's all I know... :roll:

Bum
09-21-06, 11:56 AM
The only one I am missing is 688. So soon I will see what the oldest in the series looks like. :D

Fire_Spy
09-27-06, 07:50 AM
So it is being released through steam? Cool I'll get it through that.

Hehe it's funny but 2 months ago I wouldnt of bought anything through steam but I bought another game through it, call it a test, and I quite like it. You do have to had tonnes of HDD space but most people do these days.

Anyway I cant wait for this one as well.

Deadeye313
10-15-06, 11:05 PM
So what's the latest? Any diffinitive dates yet? I missed making an Israel/US vs Iran/Hamas/palestine senario, but now I can make a US/South Korea/Japan/Australia vs North Korea(using Russia ships) fight. :ping:

Hurry up before this crisis is resolved too. I'm running out of wars.:arrgh!:

goldorak
10-16-06, 01:57 AM
I'm beginning to seriously doubt wether this pack will ever make it to retail. :-?
Hope is the last to die....

Bum
10-16-06, 11:38 AM
Don't say that!! I'm counting on some new games to play over the christmas holidays.

Sub Sailor
10-24-06, 10:23 PM
I know it is not out, is there any news on it at all? I would also appreciate if someone has an idea of how to reduce or stop the flashing/flickering in SC and FC. What ever was done to DW worked. I replaced a lot in my PC, at the advice of NVIDIA-Power supply, increased RAM, new mother board, did not help. I still believe it was something something to do with XP. When I went to XP is when the problem started. So if anyone has a fix please share it. DW is excellent now.

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):damn:

Sea Demon
10-24-06, 10:36 PM
Hi Sub Sailor. This pack is to be released on October 31st as advertised on the link. Hopefully it won't get pushed back. As far as the flickering, I believe that this issue was worked on for the release of this pack. I'm not too sure of their success in eliminating it. But it was looked into.

Fire_Spy
10-25-06, 08:52 AM
I am looking forward to it. It's a pity they cant release a newer version of Fleet command , Because it sounds like such a good game.

I know that lots of people probably created additional scenarios for it. Where would one get them?

I would like to download them in anticipation of getting this pack.

Thanks in advance.

Actually it sounds like you could make a couple of scenario's from Red Storm Rising with it. Most notably Dance of the Vampires.

Sub Sailor
10-25-06, 09:03 AM
Appreciate the response, I hope it comes out, whatever they did cannot hurt, I know they fixed DW.

Sub Sailor:up:

goldorak
10-27-06, 07:10 AM
Hi Sub Sailor. This pack is to be released on October 31st as advertised on the link. Hopefully it won't get pushed back. As far as the flickering, I believe that this issue was worked on for the release of this pack. I'm not too sure of their success in eliminating it. But it was looked into.

:yep: lets hope they don't push back the naval pack.
Finally, after waiting 3 months the day is near.
If it sells well, can we expect a 1.04 patch for DW ? ;)

Stern
10-27-06, 12:23 PM
I may be a bit confused here, but I have seen this pack in stores here in Canada (Staples for one, Wallmart and EB games). Maybe its not the one you guys are talking about, but its a tripple pack with FC, 688 and SC all in one nice looking box. If memory serves me right, its been out here for at least a month, and the price tag ist too bad (about $19.00 Can, which is probably baout $3.99 US LMAO).

Anyway, I would sure have bought it if I didnt already have all of them, but it would be worth it just for 688 (which I do have 6 copies of, as when I find it somewhere I gobble them all up incase I find someone that needs a copy).

Anyway, if I missed the boat on the pack your talking about, sorry lol

goldorak
10-27-06, 07:24 PM
@Stern: maybe the pack you're talking about was an old one. In the new version apart from the 3 bundled games we have a dvd about the history of submarines.
It should be around 20 $.

Onkel Neal
10-27-06, 11:56 PM
It's out now!

Right here, click and support Subsim!! (http://www.subsim.com/store/navalpack.php)

http://www.shareasale.com/image/Naval-468x60.jpg

Mau
10-28-06, 07:27 AM
Great news!

Looking forward to see if it solved the flickering problem with XP (FC)
If it is, then I will buy it for sure!!!!

Wim Libaers
10-28-06, 08:13 AM
Any news about a European release?

Linton
10-28-06, 11:32 AM
Price including shipping to the UK was $33.50. I am not sure why I am paying in US$ to a canadian web address though!!

Rob86TA
10-28-06, 11:51 AM
Purchased! 19.99$ no shipping... then again, I believe Strategy First's warehouse is around the corner...

Sub Sailor
10-30-06, 10:25 AM
Would anyone who is buying this "Pack" and had the flashing problem in SC, 688i, and FC post as soon as they find out if it ended or at least improved these simulations. I have extra games of each, so just to get this pack with no improvement would be a waste of money for me.

Thank you,

Ron Bankis MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):D

Sub Sailor
10-30-06, 10:28 AM
The old fart can't even spell is own last name--it is Banks vice Bankis. Don't use spell dummy.

Sub Sailor:oops: :damn: :doh:

Sea Demon
10-31-06, 04:12 PM
I just ordered through Subsim. :up: Glad it's finally available. :cool:

Sub Sailor
10-31-06, 04:45 PM
I have a ton of custom missions for 688i, I down loaded them on to my computer when Moby Dick was a Minnow, and have held on to them ever since.
They are from Mr. Nichols and other designers, so before I do I would want their permission to do it. I don't have a clue how many I have but a bunch.
Maybe not a ton, more like a 1/2 ton.

Respectfully,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)

goldorak
11-01-06, 01:20 AM
Ok guys, I know that everyone should support subsim by buying the game through their link, but for whatever reason I just can't go through the checkout process on the strategyfirst website. :damn: :damn:
So I will have to buy this game on another e-store, someone would be so kind as to give me a link to some other store (not amazon.com nor strategyfirst.com) that ships to europe at a reasonable fee.
If you don't want to give me the link on the forum, just use the pvt.

Mau
11-02-06, 05:12 AM
So DeadEye,

Are you using it with Windows XP? No more flickering of the screen?

If so outstanding!!!

Do we know if some stores has it, or we need to order it?

Like I know EB Games (online) has it. But I would like to know if I can find it there in itself (the actual EB Games Store)

Thanks fo any info
So much looking forward to go back in this game.

Mau

Deadeye313
11-02-06, 07:37 AM
nope, no flickering in XP. The game runs geat.

But there is one thing. I notice some skipping sometimes. Any computer built in the last 5 years should be able to play the game at its highest settings, but I don't know what the skipping is caused by. But it's not much and doesn't hamper gameplay so I can live with it.

My main gripe is I can't send out refueling planes. I thought that was the viking's role.

Linton
11-02-06, 07:59 AM
I got mine in the post this morning.The post man must have thought it was a letter as the box was a bit squashed!Perhaps some thicker packing may help.The dvd is in ntsc television format -so will only play on the computer.I haven't had time to play any of the games yet but I would like to know of any game resources for 688i and fleet command if somebody can point me in the right direction.

goldorak
11-02-06, 08:27 AM
I got mine in the post this morning.The post man must have thought it was a letter as the box was a bit squashed!Perhaps some thicker packing may help.The dvd is in ntsc television format -so will only play on the computer.I haven't had time to play any of the games yet but I would like to know of any game resources for 688i and fleet command if somebody can point me in the right direction.

Most european tv sets from the last 10-15 years are ntsc compatible, even the dvd players are ntsc capable (because of japan being r2).
So its wierd you can't see the dvd on your tv.
And for the note, the dvd is region 0 (already confirmed some time ago by Jamie).

Linton
11-02-06, 11:02 AM
I hadn't actually put it in the machine when I posted this morning-but you are correct ,it worked when I saw a few minutes of it this afternoon.

sonar732
11-02-06, 11:10 AM
nope, no flickering in XP. The game runs geat.

But there is one thing. I notice some skipping sometimes. Any computer built in the last 5 years should be able to play the game at its highest settings, but I don't know what the skipping is caused by. But it's not much and doesn't hamper gameplay so I can live with it.

My main gripe is I can't send out refueling planes. I thought that was the viking's role.

If I remember right, the stock version of FC didn't have refueling planes. You'll have to look for mods on that.

goldorak
11-02-06, 11:15 AM
Another question : are the various mods (scx, etc...) for sub command (ea version) compatible with this new version ?

Linton
11-03-06, 01:02 PM
I installed the SC supplied briefly and it is version 1.08,so I would imagine all the SCU/SCX stuff will work.
I played 688i for the first time last night.It all seems to happen at arcade game speed compared to the later sims.I had barely streamed the array and gone a bit deeper when I heard torpedo in the water!

ASWnut101
11-03-06, 05:43 PM
dude, subcommand is like 12 years old. get DW. more of everything, and its upgraded:yep: :cool:

Sub Sailor
11-03-06, 07:10 PM
Now that some of you have installed the "Combat Pack" does it flash in SC and FC, I have never had trouble with 688i.

Thank you,

Linton
11-05-06, 05:36 AM
I have had no trouble with flashingi n 688i.I still play SC because it is the best game around as far as submarine simulation is concerned(SCU/SCX)

sonar732
11-05-06, 09:17 AM
Now that some of you have installed the "Combat Pack" does it flash in SC and FC, I have never had trouble with 688i.

Thank you,

Ron,

Check out this post by Jamie over in their forum! I think you'll be pleased.

Window mode (http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=5705#5705)

Sub Sailor
11-05-06, 11:01 AM
Linton;
I have never had problems with 688i, after I installed the DL mod on the Sonalyst web site. But, since I installed XP SC and FC has acted just like DW before they fixed it. So I am really interested in how FC and SC acts with the new Combat pack. I do not want to buy until I find out how they work. I also assume the SCXIIc will work with the SC in the pack. In my opinion that is the best mod ever developed.
Like you I am a much bigger fan of SC than DW. I only play the Subs in DW.

Thanks,

Linton
11-05-06, 06:47 PM
Sub Sailor I play SC with version 1.0 installed and patched to 1.08 with Scx and all the add ons.I have never had the flicker problem you describe.The version in the pack is 1.08 without the add ons(you can find them all over at Bill's or Ramius's sites)

Jamie
11-05-06, 10:37 PM

Thank you,

Ron,

If you were one of the unlucky ones to have the flashing in SC with the newer Forceware and Catalysts drivers (due to the newer hardware paradigms) you'll be happy to hear that the N.C.P.'s Sub Command has the hardware support which was added to Dangerous Waters in patch v1.02 (i.e. no more flickering in full-screen play).

The renderer for FC was so different than SC or DW that we were unable to create a similar fix without re-writing the entire renderer (which we were unable to). However we did include a "-windowed" option so that the flickering would no longer be an issue in that mode (not a fix, but a compromise of sorts... :-?)

Hope that helps,

sonar732
11-06-06, 07:18 AM
Wow Jamie...you're up either early or late...:hmm::hmm:

Great to see you post regardless as Ron being a former COB...is a hard sell. :rotfl::rotfl:

GhOsT55
11-06-06, 07:20 PM
will the sxc for sc work with steam?

Sub Sailor
11-08-06, 11:21 AM
Thanks Jamie, I bought the NCP the other evening and recieved confirmation for it.
Sonar, you little rascal, I like to think of my self as a careful buyer-but cheap Bas...d would also apply. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rock:

Sea Demon
11-09-06, 08:23 PM
Just got it in the mail today.

Thanks Sonalysts, Strategy First, and Subsim. :up:

Onkel Neal
11-09-06, 09:55 PM
Just got it in the mail today.

Thanks Sonalysts, Strategy First, and Subsim. :up:

Thank you! :ping:

MarkShot
11-11-06, 05:06 PM
For someone who already has SC (the original EA retail version) is there any reason to consider getting NCP with 688i? I mean is 688i just going to seem like a step backwards from SC/SCXIIc/SCU?

Also, how is a Fleet Command as a game? Worth getting? (I obviously already own SC with no flickering problems.)

Thanks.

sonar732
11-11-06, 06:19 PM
For someone who already has SC (the original EA retail version) is there any reason to consider getting NCP with 688i? I mean is 688i just going to seem like a step backwards from SC/SCXIIc/SCU?

Also, how is a Fleet Command as a game? Worth getting? (I obviously already own SC with no flickering problems.)

Thanks.

Two part question...two answers.

For the nostagia crowd like myself that like the classics!
You might want to check out this topic Sonalysts' Forum. (http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=642)

Linton
12-19-06, 06:20 PM
How successful has sales of the pack been and will it finance continued development of DW?I am surprised at the lack of chatter on this board from people who have bought the pack or perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place?

Wim Libaers
12-20-06, 05:19 PM
What is this flickering issue? I don't see it in any of the games in this pack. Is it just the screen refresh? That can usually be solved by forcing a higher refresh rate.

Seademon
02-12-07, 04:17 AM
688, sub command and Fleet command now also available on steam

Seademon
02-12-07, 04:28 AM
dude, subcommand is like 12 years old. get DW. more of everything, and its upgraded:yep: :cool:

Well actually sub command is only 6 years old, 688 is about 12 years old but sub command is still a good game adn still relevant in the sub community, the difference is that Dangerous waters provides more FFG, sub, helo and air options with multi player stations, its also a good game, but unless you have at least 1500/256 net connection the lag is a killer for good synced response times in the multiplayer multistation environment, but i guess that also depends on if your playing 0/s or not, your machine and net connection.

ASWnut101
02-12-07, 06:13 PM
strange, i never remember posting that...:doh:

XanderF
02-17-07, 01:54 AM
Interestingly, in one of my trips to the mall to wait for the wife to get off work, I was wondering around EB Games, and...

...oddly...

...'Sonalysts Naval Combat Pack' was sitting there on the shelf. WTF? Well, I had to buy that! Not enough interest to order it online, but it certainly scratches the "impulse buy" itch. (Besides, I hate the massive box I had 'Fleet Command' in already, this way I can still have it in the newer, smaller box, and give my original to one of the guys at work)

So far, watched part 1 of 'A Century of Silent Service' - great program, worth the box on its own. That and 'Fleet Command' make the price worth it, although I doubt I'll be installing 688i or SC since I already have DW (caveat on SC, though - had one of the 'large' boxes of that, too, but gave that away some time ago when I got DW. If the fellow I gave it to ever really gets into it and wants to try MP, I may well end up with a need for it, anyway!)

EDIT: Additional notes. First off, this is 'SCS Fleet Command', not 'Jane's Fleet Command'. They are damn near identical, but this one is a LOT more stable, and is now branded "SCS" instead of "Jane's". All other factors aside, that's a reason to get it, right there. This game you do NOT have yet. It's just nuts this is only $19.99.

Also, this EB Games is in the location I am in - Portland, OR. Picked it up at a local mall. Market presence++!