PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Audio

Nell Quick
06-29-06, 10:21 AM
Hello, all.

I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to be having problems with the audio on my broadband display. Aside from the difficulty I'm having actually picking up decent signals at all, what contacts do appear are very difficult to distinguish from the background noise - at least to my ear - even when there's a fairly clear line on the waterfall. I do have audio switched on, and my hearing's pretty good, so I don't think that's the problem! Is this an installation problem, or a setup issue? I seem to remember that on 688i the player could actually listen to the noise quite clearly, but on DW I'm hardly hearing anything.

And I only seem to get 'fairly clear' lines on the broadband waterfall, at best - for some reason, even when I set up a test mission that puts me at 150' alongside a convoy of freighters I'm still only getting fairly weak contacts. Tracking - even hearing - a submarine seems more difficult than it should be, and usually anything above about 5kts leaves me with an empty scope. I know the more speed the more noise - but am I just expecting too much from my hydrophones?

I'd appreciate any advice on either of these two points. I'm a casual naval sim player who'd like to get a bit deeper (ahem) into this game, so I may not have provided enough information - please let me know if that's the case.

sonar732
06-29-06, 04:17 PM
Might I suggest posting a screenshot on imageshack so that we can see your issues. If you were 150' away from anything there should've been a strong trace in sphere BB.

LuftWolf
06-29-06, 06:22 PM
Also, what platform are you using, and what are the sonar conditions?

If you aren't using your TA, the hull and sphere sensors in the stock game are pretty weak, although for the purposes of the Kilo they may be fine.

Nexus7
06-30-06, 03:36 PM
Surface or submerged contacts? Or both?

SeaQueen
06-30-06, 05:54 PM
Did you turn the volume up all the way on your audio? Sometimes mine is quiet too, so I need to turn it up.

Nell Quick
02-07-07, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry - that was very rude of me. I've just realised I never replied to any of these suggestions. I'm afraid I got distracted with other things and completely forgot I'd posted here. I do apologise, and thank you for your replies.

For what it's worth this long after the fact, I never really managed to work out what the problem was, or even if there was a problem. But to be quite honest I've kind of fallen off playing DW - I found it a wee bit samey after 688 and Sub Command. Plus I'm a bit of a graphics nut where naval games are concerned so I've tended to gravitate to SH3.

Anyways, sorry again.

Bera
02-07-07, 07:10 AM
I'm sorry - that was very rude of me. I've just realised I never replied to any of these suggestions. I'm afraid I got distracted with other things and completely forgot I'd posted here. I do apologise, and thank you for your replies.

For what it's worth this long after the fact, I never really managed to work out what the problem was, or even if there was a problem. But to be quite honest I've kind of fallen off playing DW - I found it a wee bit samey after 688 and Sub Command. Plus I'm a bit of a graphics nut where naval games are concerned so I've tended to gravitate to SH3.

Anyways, sorry again.

Have you tried using the broadband sonar? You can see your target lines, and even if it shows faint lines, you can select their bearing on the broadband and still put a tracker on it.

FERdeBOER
02-07-07, 07:43 AM
Well, i had the same problem, but with the Akula (didn't try with others). I couldn't hear contacts, neither the water flow... In fact, I couldn't even hear the "ping" when selecting an option on the main menu. :dead:

I solved this making a clean install and then apply patch 1.04.
Before that, I installed the patch 1.04 over 1.03 and maybe that was my problem.

Now I can hear all without problems.:yep: