PDA

View Full Version : This game can be so frustrating sometimes.

spork542
06-21-06, 07:25 PM
Hey British cargo ship masters. Bite me.

This is the story. A large british cargo ship appears. I fire 2 magnetic detonator T2 torpedoes at it because all ships can accelerate to 15 knots in half a second. This would make T1 torpedoes at this point worthless since the cargo ship appeared out of nowhere in the daytime. I expended all my T1s already anyway. So anyways, 1 torpedo detonates prematurely, the other bounces off the hull. Bonk. Remember, these are magnetic detonator torpedoes. So I reload the T2 torpedoes and fire 4, yes 4, more T2 torpedoes at it, this time with impact detonators set at 5 meter depth. 2 miss because I have a bad aim, I can't be bothered to spend the time calculating everything 100% correctly. The other two bounce off the hull. Bonk. Bonk. The ship is still not maneuvering. Eventually it goes behind me near perpendicular to me and I fire my two stern T2 torpedoes on impact detonators at 1 meter depth. At this point I am swearing like a drunken sailor. I fire both. Bonk. More swearing. Bonk. Now I am struggling to not smash my monitor and several other things in the room.

Again, bite me Tommies. Bite me.

CWorth
06-21-06, 08:58 PM
Well for one I find you should be setting your impact torpedoes at 2-3 meters otherwise you risk hitting the rounded part of the hull and getting just what you were...a bounce off.Also if using impacts try and keep as close to 90 degrees as possible otherwise you risk the same thing with the torpedoes bouncing off.

With magnetics set them to go off under the keel of the ship.I find about if the ship has a draft of say 11 meters I set it for 12m.With magnetics I find I don't have to worry as much with the angle of the ship but I still try to get around 45-90 degrees.

Rooks
06-21-06, 09:46 PM
I've had a few magnetics bounce off the keel after being set a mite too shallow, frustrating as... after all that work! :damn:

Also had a few impact pistols a touch too deep and not detonate on the curved hull, No! :damn:

Had more than my fair share of dud torpedoes :damn: Really gets your goat (I'm gunna regret this :huh:). After all that work!! Tracking, stalking, plotting, timing, calculating, holding your breath, pucker factor and..... bonk!

I have to take a breath and then tell myself, it's a feature - the immersion, the level of detail.... who am I kidding? F@##$%$#% TORPEDO!!

All good fun :rotfl:
Love it! - Still a n00b myself with no mods & loving every minute hunting, now that exams are over!!

Mooncatt
06-22-06, 04:08 AM
yeah ive been playing for like a year never played multi player or online never installed a mod (although i would love to just dont know how) the only reason i havent is that i had no idea this game was so damn popular lol

STEED
06-22-06, 04:22 AM
"FIRE ONE"...........

Tracking tick,tick,tick...........

Bonk sound comes back

"What was that?" "3000 Reich Marks down the drain."

Result One ship suffered a slight dent. :damn:

Rooks
06-23-06, 01:27 AM
:D LOL

Some days you just tend to have a bad run with torps.
3000RM? :o
I know I definately contributed to the German's gross national debt then :up:

Immacolata
06-23-06, 02:04 AM
"FIRE ONE"...........

Bonk sound comes back

You forgot the 1 mark the enemy have to spend on a can of grey paint. If they bother fixing the dent at all :) Its warfare through exhaustion. We will make them repaint ALL THEIR HULLS!

STEED
06-23-06, 05:19 AM
You forgot the 1 mark the enemy have to spend on a can of grey paint. If they bother fixing the dent at all :) Its warfare through exhaustion. We will make them repaint ALL THEIR HULLS!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

SinkingFeeling
12-22-07, 08:59 AM
This seemed the best place to put it, amongst the other frustrated posts :)

I was on my first patrol, admiring the beauty that is GWX2, when I came across a Medium cargo ship heading away from me. After a long stern chase in heavy seas (preventing me using my beloved deck gun) I fired a single magnetic fused torpedo. Unfortunately, I forgot to take into account the fact that the ship was heaving up and down in the seas, and so my torpedo actually impacted directly on the rudder. With a sound that I can only describe as "Spoooiinnnnngggg', it rebounded 60 or 70 metres directly backwards before remembering its purpose in life and heading back towards the ship. It skimmed down the side of the ship, before heading merrily off towards Scapa Flow, leaving me cursing in amazement.
I got the cargo eventually, I just ended up using more conventional methods :D

papa_smurf
12-22-07, 09:04 AM
In general I normally set my magnetic pistols to 1 to 1.5 meters under the keel of a ship, and this results in a sucessfull hit in most cases.
If all else fails; surface and man the deck gun!:arrgh!:

Subnuts
12-22-07, 09:15 AM

Three thousand Marks? Try 25,000!!! :o

Canovaro
12-22-07, 09:31 AM

Three thousand Marks? Try 25,000!!! :o

:yep:

rik007
12-22-07, 09:44 AM
Kretschmer told in an interview that he could have doubled his score if the problems didnot occur with the torpedo's. So reality was frustrating as well: Kreislaufers and torps not holding course.

Nerazzurri
12-22-07, 10:01 AM
With magnetics set them to go off under the keel of the ship.I find about if the ship has a draft of say 11 meters I set it for 12m.With magnetics I find I don't have to worry as much with the angle of the ship but I still try to get around 45-90 degrees.

I remember reading (I don't recall where) that with magnetic pistols you get better results with the torpedoes coming in at 0-60 degrees on the target.

The thinking being if it's at close to 90 there isn't as much of field of metal or enough time for the pistol detonate. If it's 0-60 the pistol is getting more of a contact from running more lengthwise with the target.

I haven't tried it because I'm just not covinced by the magnetics but the theory makes sense. One thing I can say does support the thinking - with the narrower beamed ships, when I did try magnetics (at 90 degrees), many of the explosions were directly after the torp had just passed the keel, meaning the force of the explosion wasn't directly under the ships spine.

EDIT just remembered - out of desperation onr time, I did fire a magnetic directcly under a destroyer, at 0 degrees, that was bearing down on me. It was VERY effective. I guess that supports the theory too.

Gezoes
12-22-07, 10:02 AM
Magnetics... impact all the way! :smug:

Kpt. Lehmann
12-22-07, 12:26 PM
...So what you guys are saying is that there is a lot of BONKING going on.

Hey, it happens to all of us.:yep:

(Jeez... I'm going to be thinking about this thread all day.):lol:

BONK!!!:rotfl:

Kptlt. Neuerburg
12-22-07, 12:51 PM
Well the same thing happened to me just yesterday. I was attempting to sink one of those ASW trawlers, I fired one of two TIIs I had at a depth of about 5 meters, maybe a little bit deeper so it would go and break the keel. The torp went to the right depth but right as the torpedo was about to explode and the trawlers bow went down and the torp bounced off the rounded part of the hull and I was about ready to do this :damn: . But I just left after that. But heres what I normally do during a torpedo attack is after IDing the type of ship look up the depth of the hull and set the torpedo that depth and add two meters to make sure that it will still detonate under the ship even if its rolling around. Or set the depth to zero and fire. But I also get close to the ship at least 600 meters or so to ensure that there is less error and the torpedo has a better chance of hitting its mark.

fat jez
12-22-07, 05:38 PM
[quote=CWorth]
EDIT just remembered - out of desperation onr time, I did fire a magnetic directcly under a destroyer, at 0 degrees, that was bearing down on me. It was VERY effective. I guess that supports the theory too.

That worked for me too. I had a charging destroyer who forgot I had a stern tube. One quick snapshot with a magnetic pistol set to explode a couple of metres under her soon broke her back. :D

Cheers,
Stephen

spork542
12-22-07, 05:41 PM
Wow, how is this thread still alive? I leave and come back many months later and an old topic of mine is at the top. This is incredible...

Brag
12-22-07, 06:13 PM
Bonck!
"What was that, sir?"
"A German reminder to finish our tea and go to the bridge. There's a war going, you know?"
:huh: "You don't say."

spork542
12-22-07, 07:11 PM
I just updated to GWX 2.0. I hope I don't get too many duds. :stare: It seems amazing on the whole, though.

Jimbuna
12-22-07, 07:14 PM
I just updated to GWX 2.0. I hope I don't get too many duds. :stare: It seems amazing on the whole, though.

That will all depend on whether you 'ticked' the dud torpedoes box or not :lol:

http://www.itsnature.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfmoon.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/wolf-38.gif

SinkingFeeling
12-22-07, 07:27 PM
I don't mind having the occasional dud when it's obviously my fault, but the odd bit about this was the fact that it bounced so far backwards, before the prop took hold again and it had another run at the ship. I think what really annoyed me was that I effectively had two attacks with the one torpedo, and missed both times :D

Spork542: I resurrected this thread as I didn't think my ravings were worth a separate thread; it's a hangover from another forum I'm a member of :)

spork542
12-22-07, 08:38 PM
That will all depend on whether you 'ticked' the dud torpedoes box or not :lol:

Indeed! :lol:

I don't mind having the occasional dud when it's obviously my fault, but the odd bit about this was the fact that it bounced so far backwards, before the prop took hold again and it had another run at the ship. I think what really annoyed me was that I effectively had two attacks with the one torpedo, and missed both times :D

Spork542: I resurrected this thread as I didn't think my ravings were worth a separate thread; it's a hangover from another forum I'm a member of :)
It's alright. :)

Albrecht Von Hesse
01-01-08, 09:05 PM
"FIRE ONE"...........

Bonk sound comes back

What's even funnier is listening to the torpedo on the hydrophone. You can hear the hum of it, then a quite clear 'klunk' when it bounces. ::grins::

Solidfart
01-02-08, 05:22 PM
In GWX 1.03 I didn'd get many duds. On last patrol I fired four eels to a merchant. Three duds and one exploded on target. Bad patch of torpedoes or did they tweak something in GWX 2.0? I don't mind though. Adds realism.