PDA

View Full Version : can SH3 Cmdr also include a captains logbook?

pparker
06-21-06, 03:00 AM
to JSCones:

Sir, i really admire your work on the SH3 Commander for SH3.
When will ver 2.6 comes out? :-) forgive my excitement.

I have one question though that might have your knowledge on it.
Is it possible to include a feature on the SH3 Commander a logbook or on my term i call it Captain's Diary?..
what i mean is, can I write some kind of journal inside the SH3 game that I can view on the SH3 Commander after my patrol?

if at least maybe if i am to do this, maybe you can direct me what file on the SH3 should i be looking at..

thanks a lot.

pparker

JScones
06-21-06, 03:41 AM
Sir, i really admire your work on the SH3 Commander for SH3.
When will ver 2.6 comes out? :-) forgive my excitement.
Dunno. I had a release candidate ready (just pending some data file changes) when Rubini came up with a suggestion aimed at better supporting the Milk Cow mod...so I am now waiting to see how that pans out. So, maybe very late this weekend.

I have one question though that might have your knowledge on it.
Is it possible to include a feature on the SH3 Commander a logbook or on my term i call it Captain's Diary?..
what i mean is, can I write some kind of journal inside the SH3 game that I can view on the SH3 Commander after my patrol?
Such a feature has been slated for SH3Cmdr release for quite a while. I even developed a prototype which works nicely.

However, I made a conscious decision a month or so ago not to pursue the functionality any further as I don't have the time or resources available to provide the level of ongoing user support that such a feature would require. Plus, after 12 months of development, I am keen to pursue "new" interests.

if at least maybe if i am to do this, maybe you can direct me what file on the SH3 should i be looking at..
If you save your games whilst at sea, simply make a save *just prior* to docking. Exit SH3. Under your Career save game folder will be a sub-folder numbered the same as your patrol, minus 1 (ie 0 represents the first patrol). Inside this folder will be at least 1 .crp file. Open the *latest* one and *every* message that appeared during the patrol will be listed.

Copy the file and edit the copy as you want (don't edit the original as if you even need to go back to that save game, it may crash if you edit incorrectly). But your changes won't be recognised by either SH3 or SH3Cmdr, so this is somewhat a waste of time unless you copy some of the key entries (weather and the like) and paste them into your own created diary.

pparker
06-21-06, 04:05 AM
thanks for the time and reply.
so, i will chech on the .crp file then...:-)

quick questions., while in game, do you think its possible to make a write on the .crp file?
if i don't save before i dock will i lost that .crp file?
i'm thinking that it will be an external application that will be writing on the .crp file.. does sh3 checks the integrity of the file(attributes) reason why it may crash when edited directly?

sorry, too many questions.. but i must take the opportunity now... as i am not always online.., also i assume you have already knowledge on my quest as you have already made a prototype for it before.

thanks a lot again.

pparker

JScones
06-21-06, 04:40 AM
quick questions., while in game, do you think its possible to make a write on the .crp file?
Yes you can. But open the file up before you get too excited...You'll see that in adding just one entry, you'll need to edit all the "fluff" that wraps around it, including renumbering the section title of *every* subsequent entry.

if i don't save before i dock will i lost that .crp file?
No, you just won't have one with *every* message. For example, if your last save is mid-patrol, then every message subsequent to that save point will NOT be recorded anywhere. Hence saving at the *last* possible moment.

i'm thinking that it will be an external application that will be writing on the .crp file.. does sh3 checks the integrity of the file(attributes) reason why it may crash when edited directly?
Nup. It doesn't care once the event has passed. As long as file integrity is maintained, SH3 will be happy. But remember though, SH3 doesn't actually use this file for anything outside of the associated save game.

I mean, I could *very* quickly and easily whip up a small programme that allows editing and formatting of the .crp file...but what benefit will it give users? If anyone can provide convincing arguments, I'll do it.

also i assume you have already knowledge on my quest as you have already made a prototype for it before.
Yes. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't know these files intimately. But alas, time takes its toll...

irish1958
06-21-06, 09:53 AM
JScones,
I use your wonderful SH3CMDR and thank you for all your work and devotion. I hope that after v 2.6 you will revisit the project in a few months and give it some thought for any easy revisions.
As for the captain's log: would it be possible to edit the personnel file in my documents for the commander listed at the end of the patrol. If I could update the file in SH3Cmdr and then edit it to add my notes, it would serve as a record and it would eliminate trying the screw around with the SHIII files.
irish1958

pparker
06-21-06, 08:07 PM
Yes you can. But open the file up before you get too excited...You'll see that in adding just one entry, you'll need to edit all the "fluff" that wraps around it, including renumbering the section title of *every* subsequent entry.

also i assume you have already knowledge on my quest as you have already made a prototype for it before.
Yes. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't know these files intimately. But alas, time takes its toll...

i take a look at it last night,.. you're correct, it will be quite tedious just to get *every* message in just one pair of brackets[].. :down:

i hope you may have a change of mind to reconsider... :D
it will be great SH3 Commander + captain's log.
btw, i will make an attempt to create such programme, and see if my enthusiasm can outlast the tediousness. :up:

again thanks a lot for the learning experience and usefull infos.

pparker

Old Dog
06-21-06, 08:56 PM
I too cheerfuly join the multitude who laud your work. The knowledgeable and generous people who do as you do really add a great deal to this hobby.
I have a minor issue with the version of SH3 Commander that I am currently running: v 2.5.0.86 in that I cannot get it to check for updates by either the link in "About" or by the link on the main screen labeled "Updates". Neither will correctly connect with your server. One returns a message that it cannot connect to the server, perhaps I am not connected to the Internet, the other brings me to this page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones/software (http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones/software) . I thought initially that your server may have been down, but when I came to this forum, the links earlier in this thread connected properly.
While connected to your server via the link in this thread, I was able to replicate my earlier problems.

Grateful, but easily stumped, :hmm:

Old Dog

JScones
06-21-06, 09:05 PM
I've changed ISP within the last month - thus current versions of my software will still be looking in the old location, which no longer exists. This will be rectified with SH3Cmdr R2.6.

Old Dog
06-21-06, 09:28 PM
You are too kind. Thank you very much. I've added a link to your current server to my Favorites. ;)
I'll add myself to the section of your site relative to being notified of updates, too.

a thankful Old Dog

irish1958
06-22-06, 10:00 AM
JScones:
Is it possible to edit the html file in the SH3CMDR personnel file located in "My Documents?", and add a log file.
If so. how?
irish1958

JScones
06-22-06, 10:10 AM
Of course. You can edit the files in any HTML editor, like any HTML file.

Only thing to consider is that your changes will be overwritten the next time you create a Personnel File.

irish1958
06-22-06, 04:43 PM
JScones:
Thanks
irish1958

JScones
06-22-06, 11:28 PM
I can imagine that the best thing to do is update the SH3Cmdr HTML files *after* a career has ended (ie retirement, death, end of war). As you're not likely to run any further Personnel Files for the Commander, you can modify the SH3Cmdr HTML files in situ without risk of losing them.

Here's one (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/tmp/Log_0.html) I just prepared as an example.

Grey Legion
06-23-06, 05:59 AM
I can imagine that the best thing to do is update the SH3Cmdr HTML files *after* a career has ended (ie retirement, death, end of war). As you're not likely to run any further Personnel Files for the Commander, you can modify the SH3Cmdr HTML files in situ without risk of losing them.

Here's one (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/tmp/Log_0.html) I just prepared as an example.

Good thought !!, SO it would be best to keep track of thing manually during your career and then add it all in at the end ??

Also, in your log you put the actual names of ships, how would I find that info out in the game ?? or did you just use real names and put them there to add spice ??

Thanks for the best SH3 mod ever !! :up:

JScones
06-23-06, 06:47 AM
Good thought !!, SO it would be best to keep track of thing manually during your career and then add it all in at the end ??
I think so. Or, alternatively, make copies of the completed log files and edit those as you go. Then when the career has ended, delete the SH3Cmdr created log files and copy yours in.

Unfortunately, for integrity reasons, it's necessary for SH3Cmdr to rebuild the log file each time it generates a Personnel File.

Also, in your log you put the actual names of ships, how would I find that info out in the game ?? or did you just use real names and put them there to add spice ??
Pretty much. The ship names used are real and do relate to the class of ship that you have sunk (ie you sink a Liberty Cargo, you'll get a real Liberty Cargo ship name). Unfortunately, due to SH3 limitations, ship names based on ship nationality aren't possible.

Thanks. That's nice to hear.

Grey Legion
06-23-06, 12:26 PM
I think so. Or, alternatively, make copies of the completed log files and edit those as you go. Then when the career has ended, delete the SH3Cmdr created log files and copy yours in.

Unfortunately, for integrity reasons, it's necessary for SH3Cmdr to rebuild the log file each time it generates a Personnel File.

Pretty much. The ship names used are real and do relate to the class of ship that you have sunk (ie you sink a Liberty Cargo, you'll get a real Liberty Cargo ship name). Unfortunately, due to SH3 limitations, ship names based on ship nationality aren't possible.

Thanks. That's nice to hear.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was missing something big, so where would one get a list of ship names for the correct dates ?? is a list out there somewhere ??

Thanks

Sailor Steve
06-23-06, 12:30 PM
There are many sources for warships. Merchant launch and commission dates are a little harder to find. I have dates for most US merchants, mainly the C-and-T-types. I've been trying to find a way to list all the US ships as Cs or Ts and the British by small-medium-large, so that SH3 Commander would give the appropriate names to the correct ship types. So far, not much luck.

Grey Legion
06-23-06, 12:43 PM
There are many sources for warships. Merchant launch and commission dates are a little harder to find. I have dates for most US merchants, mainly the C-and-T-types. I've been trying to find a way to list all the US ships as Cs or Ts and the British by small-medium-large, so that SH3 Commander would give the appropriate names to the correct ship types. So far, not much luck.

Hmmmm...that sounds very interesting, if I can help in any way please inform me. I want to add so much depth to my/the game it hurts. I want to really experience things and I feel the game is lacking details where they count. Crew, training, and captain's log.

Anything that can be done to add to a "story line" of sorts would be very well received.

Found these sites:
http://www.warsailors.com/freefleet/index.html
http://www.naval-museum.mb.ca/merch/mership.htm
http://members.iinet.com.au/~gduncan/maritime-1.html
http://www.familyheritage.ca/Articles/merchant1.html

bigboywooly
06-23-06, 01:22 PM
great site for all navys during the war and the fate of the ships too

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Fort ships
http://fortships.tripod.com/introduction.htm

A good convoy site
http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/

Sailor Steve
06-24-06, 10:55 AM
Oh, man, that convoy site is what I was looking for!

Thanks, Bigboywooly!:up: :rock: :sunny: