PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Key Commands

Observer
06-18-06, 10:40 PM
Has anyone tried to add new commands to the Commands_en.cfg file? I want to add a command to raise the DF loop and other radio antennas. I used the snorkel command before and it caused problems, especially when I get a snorkel later in the war.

Observer
06-18-06, 10:52 PM
Here's some screenshots to show what I'm talking about. Notice the commands at the bottom. I don't want to change the text, but I want to create a command to raise the antenna/radio.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/Observer723/sh32006-06-1823-47-29-35.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/Observer723/sh32006-06-1823-47-33-84.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/Observer723/sh32006-06-1823-47-45-75.jpg

VonHelsching
06-18-06, 11:28 PM
Havn't managed to add a command...:-?

Did you see any actual difference in contact reports (or anywhere else) when raising the radio direction finder loop, or is it just eye candy?

Observer
06-18-06, 11:38 PM
Nope, and I was afraid you would say that. I've got another problem with it too at the minute I still need to work out. It's an eye candy only thing as far as I can tell. I could just leave it up all the time...

The Noob
06-18-06, 11:39 PM
WTF?!?

It's possible to raise the Radio antenna?
Is that some mod?

Huh?

:doh:

Observer
06-18-06, 11:40 PM
WTF?!?

It's possible to raise the Radio antenna?
Is that some mod?

Huh?

:doh:

Yep. It's got some kinks right now, but it's possible.

VonHelsching
06-19-06, 12:30 AM
Nope, and I was afraid you would say that. I've got another problem with it too at the minute I still need to work out. It's an eye candy only thing as far as I can tell. I could just leave it up all the time...

:damn: I was hoping this to be one of the half finished features that the dev team never had the time to wrap up. Raise the antenna, tweak some contact report files and there you go.

It's nice as it is, anyway. :up:

Myxale
06-19-06, 01:32 AM
Kudos to that Antena!:rock:

Der Teddy Bar
06-19-06, 03:45 AM
Kudos to that Antena!:rock:
Long live the Antenna :up:

Txema
06-19-06, 06:13 AM
Excellent !!!!

Perhaps you could raise the DF loop and the other radio antennas automatically when the submarine goes to the surface (at the same time that the crew goes to the conning tower). Is this possible???

What about the radar antennas??
As you know the FuMO29 antennas are static and placed on the face of the conning tower. This is properly represented in SH3.
However, the antennas of the rest of the radar systems (FuMO30, FuMO61...) are rectangular antennas that can be rotated and are placed on the left side of conning tower. Can you correct their position in SH3? These antennas can be also lowered to a housing... Perhaps you could also raise these antennas automatically when the submatine goes to the surface. Is this possible?

Thank you very much for all your excellent work !!!

Txema

jaxa
06-19-06, 11:38 AM
Excellent !!!!

Perhaps you could raise the DF loop and the other radio antennas automatically when the submarine goes to the surface (at the same time that the crew goes to the conning tower). Is this possible???

What about the radar antennas??
As you know the FuMO29 antennas are static and placed on the face of the conning tower. This is properly represented in SH3.
However, the antennas of the rest of the radar systems (FuMO30, FuMO61...) are rectangular antennas that can be rotated and are placed on the left side of conning tower. Can you correct their position in SH3? These antennas can be also lowered to a housing... Perhaps you could also raise these antennas automatically when the submatine goes to the surface. Is this possible?

Thank you very much for all your excellent work !!!

Txema

Hi Txema!
I asked about radar antennas some topics ago, as you said there is very stupid bug in SH3 with radar antennas. Somebody experienced with hex editor should fix this bug and make antennas (DF loop and radar) lowered to conning tower.

Observer - how did you do that with DF loop? It looks awesome. Ubisoft made unfinished game :damn:

jaxa
06-19-06, 12:58 PM
I'm looking at screenshots posted by Observer and I'm really excited this feature.
I think it could be possible to use "integrated orders" mod as a base of adding new commands. It would be fantastic to add and use raise/lower DF loop and radar antenna (with fix radar antenna bug) command. I'm sure a talented forum member could do this :up:

fabianhidalgo
06-19-06, 01:24 PM
great job:rock: , finally someone achieved it, now please help with the asked to finish this mod

Observer
06-19-06, 04:31 PM
Don't expect too much on this right away. The fundamental question still needs to be answered: how to add new key commands to the Commands_en.cfg? As far as how to make this work, it was really very simple: I added a raise lower behavior for the antenna to the turm DAT file.

There is a quirk though. First when I raise the mast, it goes to the max height (shown graphically), then disappears back into the housed position. When lowering the mast it pops to the raised position then graphically is lowered back into the housing. I think/hope it has to do with the fact that I tied it to the snorkel command, but it likely is not.

Also, don't get too excited about this, if the kinks can get worked out. Right now, the file structure supports radio DF, but I'm not sure it's in the code. Also, there will be no automatic mast raising once surfaced. If it works, it will have to be done manually, like the snorkel or periscope. The other option is to leave the mast raised if I can't work out the animation kinks. The same is true for the radar antennas which are also on the list. At a minimum I want to see if I can stop the wave on the sail = radar turns off radar bug on the later radar sets.

Myxale
06-19-06, 04:48 PM
Don't expect too much on this right away. The fundamental question still needs to be answered: how to add new key commands to the Commands_en.cfg? As far as how to make this work, it was really very simple: I added a raise lower behavior for the antenna to the turm DAT file.

There is a quirk though. First when I raise the mast, it goes to the max height (shown graphically), then disappears back into the housed position. When lowering the mast it pops to the raised position then graphically is lowered back into the housing. I think/hope it has to do with the fact that I tied it to the snorkel command, but it likely is not.

Also, don't get too excited about this, if the kinks can get worked out. Right now, the file structure supports radio DF, but I'm not sure it's in the code. Also, there will be no automatic mast raising once surfaced. If it works, it will have to be done manually, like the snorkel or periscope. The other option is to leave the mast raised if I can't work out the animation kinks. The same is true for the radar antennas which are also on the list. At a minimum I want to see if I can stop the wave on the sail = radar turns off radar bug on the later radar sets.

Don't worry mate we take all we can get! ;)
As for the Antenna, does that work on every tower? Or does that need to be "modded" onto every tower? :hmm:

After the last few weeks and all the fine mods poppin' out, i really start to wonder how much of our lil' sim i actually left unfinished (sometimes i think it's all beta:shifty: at best) and how much of this game is actually moddable?:hmm:

Observer
06-19-06, 06:44 PM
In theory it should work for every tower. The problem is overlap as I think there can only be one of each kind (i.e. one snorkel, one antenna, one radar).

donots76
07-07-06, 01:05 PM
Any news?

Letum
07-12-06, 05:39 AM
Bump.

GT182
07-13-06, 04:13 PM
This is interesting and deserves another bump... or made a stickie.

fabianhidalgo
08-14-06, 02:51 PM
any news?

flyingdane
08-14-06, 03:36 PM
Ooooh.!! I would love to see this in action :yep:

fabianhidalgo
09-30-06, 11:02 PM
any news?

Immacolata
10-07-06, 09:26 AM
Jes' a wee lil' bump to "raise interest antenna". :rotfl:

Der Teddy Bar
10-07-06, 02:11 PM
I'll check with Observer today.

GT182
10-07-06, 02:57 PM
If you look at the key command sheet you'll see there are 7 blank keys. 0,-,\, Caps Lock, Rt. Shift, Home and End. Not sure if the Alt, Option and Ctrl keys are useable tho but I imagine they could be if necessary.

Question is, can the commands for the DF Loop and Radio Antenna be added as new key commands to the Commands_en.cfg? Then it won't be necessary to use existing keys, like the Snorkel key(X). That's if the code will allow a command to be written in as an addition to what's already there.

GT182
10-08-06, 06:42 PM
:arrgh!: Bump. ;) I see Observer is back on. :D

fabianhidalgo
10-10-06, 05:15 PM
any news?

fabianhidalgo
10-31-06, 05:44 PM
any news?

Ark
10-31-06, 10:38 PM
Interesting mod.

I'd be interested in it just for the visual look if the other stuff isn't possible. It's always bothered me how the antennae (raised) isn't present on our u-boatsd in-game.

Church SUBSIM
11-01-06, 12:14 PM

Which program did you use to add this funcutionality to the turm DAT file. Could you be more specific as to how you opened, modded the file. This could be huge.

ref
11-01-06, 12:22 PM
The routine to raise/lower the antennas is NOT implemented, it's not just adding a key command.

Ref

DarkFolle
11-02-06, 12:49 AM
so no one can make it work?:hmm: