PDA

View Full Version : LWAMI4 Mod Poll #13: Readme Preference for Upcoming Release

LuftWolf
06-17-06, 07:11 AM
I have two ways I can go with the readme: 1) I can list every single change as best I can and try to explain why that is relevant to the player 2) I can write the readme as a guide to gameplay with LWAMI4 and of course highlight the most important changes for the player, while leaving some of the "under the hood" improvements unmentioned.

#1 for me has the downside of being rather tedious. It would read like a traditional mod/patch readme.

#2 leaves me some good room to give the players practical advice, and would be much easier to read. It would read more like a manual shipped with a game.

I think my choice is fairly clear, but I want to put it up to you guys, since we have a mix of people who might want one or the other.

Thanks!

Cheers,
David

goldorak
06-17-06, 07:33 AM
I think with all the dramatic changes you're doing it would be great to have an on hands manual for the mod. That of course not only touches on the differences with respect to default 1.03 but also includes gameplay advices (tactics , etc,...) as to how to use the new features.

kage
06-17-06, 07:39 AM
Half the point, in my opinion, is that "how to use" a particular feature should be figured out by the player.

goldorak
06-17-06, 08:21 AM
Half the point, in my opinion, is that "how to use" a particular feature should be figured out by the player.

I'm not so sure.
If the "how to use" becomes so frustating that a player just gives up whats the point ?
Always remember that although this mod is a "realistic" mod for die-hard players it should not exclude normal/ casual players.
In the end knowing howto use a feature doesn't mean you will become proficient with it.

Amizaur
06-17-06, 08:29 AM
Actually, both :p . It's a great task to make, but then updates to both versions should be relatively simple. And such complicated mod really would benefit from having both types of doc - detailed list of changes and a guide.
I would make them if only english was my native language... :-?

Maybe I'll take updating the USNI reference entries, but currently I'm not sure yet what numbers and values will be finally used for various sensors and weapons... :) on the other hand, updating is much easier than doing from scratch :)

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
06-17-06, 10:48 AM
Give us the manual, but don't delay the release for it. The day when the database and doctrines are to your satisfaction, just throw it out and let us play with it without any help.

Then, every day, send up whatever piece of manual you have done onto this BBS. You might want to give priority to answering the questions that would undoubtedly be asked on this board - it might just give you a clue as to what players think is important in a manual - what they need to know.

There is little point in writing the detailed changes immediately. With the new renovation in doctrines, the database will become much harder to change for the casual self-modder. For example, before we can change the range or speed of a torpedo just by putting in new numbers on the DB Editor, but now we have to poke around in the doctrine to make sure all the new cleverness you've put in does not get ruined. And if no one is going to easily change the database, a listing of the changes (so we can find them in the DB) becomes less necessary.