PDA

View Full Version : help with grey wolf mod

willj729
06-14-06, 09:34 AM
Hi, I am new to both this board and this game. I recently got this game and installed the grey wolf mod for it. However, there are two things that I would like to change:

1. To decrease the underwater visibility.
Before this mod I also tried the real u-boat mod (rub 1.45), I thought it had realistic underwater visibility. With the grey wolf mod, I can see like 2 km ahead underwater.

2. To decrease the "heaviness" of the external cam.
In the stock version of the game, whenever you let go of the arrow keys in external cam mode, the cam would pretty much come to a complete stop. Now with the grey wolf mod, the cam carries too much momentum with it. Whenever i let go of the arrow key, the cam would continue to move, especially when i go fast (shift + arrow).

So can i do any tweaks to change these or are there any mods that suit me?

Thank you for your time, oh and by the way, this is by far one of the best games I've ever played.

And one more thing, what other mods do u guys recommend besides grey wolf? And exactly how does grey wolf compare to rub 1.45?

Again, thanks for answering

HW3
06-14-06, 11:41 AM
First, welcome! :)

For your first question, I would recomend SHIII Commander v2.5(latest version). It has a place where you can adjust the underwater vis on a scale of 1-20. Stock sim is 18 and I think I read where RUB was somewhere around 5-8?

For your second question, I have no idea. I have not noticed this before.

For your third question, GW is more game play and graphic oriented, while RUB 1.45 leans more toward realism. If you liked RUB 1.45, you will love NYGM TW 2.0 which takes SHIII to a whole new level of realism. :yep:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-14-06, 11:47 AM
Hi, I am new to both this board and this game. I recently got this game and installed the grey wolf mod for it. However, there are two things that I would like to change:

1. To decrease the underwater visibility.
Before this mod I also tried the real u-boat mod (rub 1.45), I thought it had realistic underwater visibility. With the grey wolf mod, I can see like 2 km ahead underwater.

2. To decrease the "heaviness" of the external cam.
In the stock version of the game, whenever you let go of the arrow keys in external cam mode, the cam would pretty much come to a complete stop. Now with the grey wolf mod, the cam carries too much momentum with it. Whenever i let go of the arrow key, the cam would continue to move, especially when i go fast (shift + arrow).

So can i do any tweaks to change these or are there any mods that suit me?

Thank you for your time, oh and by the way, this is by far one of the best games I've ever played.

And one more thing, what other mods do u guys recommend besides grey wolf? And exactly how does grey wolf compare to rub 1.45?

Again, thanks for answering

Hi and welcome Willj729!

Thank you for your compliments and for using the GW Supermod. :up: :up: :up:

1)The easiest way to adjust the underwater visibility ranges is by using the SH3 Commander program by JScones. (I will have a link for you shortly.) The lower the number... the "denser" less visibility you have. If I recall correctly the stock setting is between 18-20... but that allows most people to "cheat" too easily. Of course different monitors have properties visually speaking. You will need to try a few settings in SH3 Commander until you are happy.

2)For now what I would recommend is to download CCIP's camera mod version 2.0 from Terrapin's site. This will give you several options to play with.

3)Regarding compatability of other mods or unnoficial "add-on mods" made for GW... Some of them break important elements that have been purposefully changed to reach an intended effect.

You can find JScones awesome SH3 Commander program here:
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products/SH3Cmdr25.exe

You can find CCIP's camera mod version 2.0 here:
http://mpgtext.net/u-boot/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=42

IMPORTANT NOTE! Unofficial add-ons for The Grey Wolves Supermod are not supported by the TGW development team and their use is NOT RECOMMENDED for the inexperienced or casual user. The Grey Wolves development team cannot be held responsible for any adverse effects caused by the subsequent modification of any files.

Kpt. Lehmann
06-14-06, 11:56 AM
For your third question, GW is more game play and graphic oriented, while RUB 1.45 leans more toward realism. If you liked RUB 1.45, you will love NYGM TW 2.0 which takes SHIII to a whole new level of realism. :yep:

Respectfully, and with no offence intended to HW3... It is a misconception that we intend for things to be "gamey" or "arcadish." Using GW you can achieve a very high level of "realism" over stock SH3

GW IS sound and graphically intensive where other mods generally neglect these fields... or even consider them "unimportant."

Though GW contains a few commonly accepted "bugfixes" that were part of RUb... our mod IS NOT "based on RUb." We have in-fact made some advances in "realism" over and beyond RUb itself... It is the natural progression of things.

Something to remember though... no one and no mod found here has a "corner" on a "realistic" simulator experience... as "realism" must be determined by the individual player based on his/her experience or interpretation of available research data...

In the end though it is YOUR game. Never let anyone tell you how to play it.

GW can be said to have a focus on "immersion." Without addressing ALL three fields of graphics, sound, and historically minded code content... it is our opinion that quality "immersion" cannot be attained.

HW3
06-14-06, 02:46 PM
I should have phrased that response better. I in no way meant to imply that GW was gamey or arcadish, it most certainly is not. I have used it and enjoyed it alot. The GW team did a great job putting it together. When it comes to comparing GW to NYGM, it is hard to explain the difference without sounding like you are putting one area of one mod down verses the other mod. Both GW and NYGM are huge steps up from what SHIII was before in all areas including Game play/ Graphics/ Sound.

Kpt. Lehmann
06-14-06, 04:01 PM
I should have phrased that response better. I in no way meant to imply that GW was gamey or arcadish, it most certainly is not. I have used it and enjoyed it alot. The GW team did a great job putting it together. When it comes to comparing GW to NYGM, it is hard to explain the difference without sounding like you are putting one area of one mod down verses the other mod. Both GW and NYGM are huge steps up from what SHIII was before in all areas including Game play/ Graphics/ Sound.

No worries at all mate. I understand where you are coming from.

andy_311
06-14-06, 07:23 PM
Never played NYGM, but I play GW all the time and at the bigining lost my rag with it loads of times but now,bit more expirenced I only lose my rag later in war years,for me personally GW is for me,but I can't speak for anyone else.