PDA

View Full Version : Ranks in SH3 Commander

MaxenThor
06-12-06, 06:27 AM
I notice that the default rank when commencing a career using SH3 Commander is Ensign when the rest of your Officers are Leutenents. Is there a way to make your rank a Leutenent when commencing your carrer in SH3 Commander? Seems to me the player,as Captain,should be of equal or higher rank the your subordinate officers. Thnks for your replys.

JScones
06-12-06, 07:41 AM
Do you play with US ranks?

Anyway, this is a fundamental flaw in SH3 itself. Believe it or not though, it is not unrealistic. Without going into intricacies, LI's sometimes outranked the Kaleuns.

Anyway, if you are playing with US rank labels and want to revert back to the stock (please DON'T BUMP YOUR RANKS OUTSIDE OF THE STOCK rank levels because SH3Cmdr does not support "bumped" ranks), then open "Menu static.cfg" under ...\SH3 Commander\Cfg and replace:

160=Apprentice Seaman
161=Seaman 2cl.
162=Seaman 1cl.
163=Petty Officer 1cl.
164=Chief Petty Officer
165=Warrant Officer
166=Midshipman
167=Ensign
168=Lieutenant (j.g.)
169=Lieutenant (j.g.)
170=Ensign; Lieutenant (j.g.)
171=Lieutenant (j.g.);Lieutenant
172=Lieutenant;Lieutenant Commander
173=Lieutenant Commander;Commander
174=;Captain

with:

160=Seaman
161=Senior Seaman
162=Chief Seaman
163=Warrant Officer
164=Senior Warrant Officer
165=Chief Sr. W. Officer
166=Sub-Lieutenant
167=Lieutenant Jr.
168=Lieutenant Sr.
169=Lieutenant Sr.
170=Lieutenant Jr.;Lieutenant Sr.
171=Lieutenant Sr.;Lieutenant Commander
172=Lieutenant Commander;Commander
173=Commander;Captain Jr.
174=;Captain

You will then have the incorrect stock SH3 rank translations back. You will start your career as a Lt j.g. - prolly still not what you want, but it's how SH3 was developed. You can bump ranks, but you will break compatibility with SH3Cmdr in doing so.

EVERYONE: I am now going to pull this feature from SH3Cmdr R2.6 - you will have the choice of stock German or stock US rank labels. All SH3Cmdr corrections will be removed.

MaxenThor
06-12-06, 08:31 AM
JScones thank you for your reply. Yes,I do play with US ranks. I will take your suggestion and modify the cfg file. I just can't get it out of my mind that lower ranks commanded higher ranks in certain circumstances though I know this was also done in the Luftwaffe.

Edit: I took your suggestion with a bit of a twist. I replaced the US ranks with the correct German ranks. I feel more comfortable with this setup for some reason.;) :) Thanks again for your advice.