PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian Request

Captain Norman
05-17-06, 02:53 PM
I admit, I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to modding, mapping, and skinning in a game. But I do have a request for any of those kinds of people here on Subsim, if they wish to or not. I love Dangerous Waters, but I have become disappointed in something. The people at Sonalyst have added in just about every country in the world with a major navy except for Canada! I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to model some Canadians ships, for example some Halifax class frigates or even an Iroquois class destroy. If you even want to, although it isnt the best submarine, add in a few Canadian Victoria class submarines. If you could also do this as well, a controllable Halifax class frigate would be excellent as well.
Thanks always everyone. -Captain Norman

Captain Norman
05-27-06, 09:36 PM
Wow, no one has even replied to this topic, yet 37 people have viewed it.

TLAM Strike
05-27-06, 10:00 PM
A controllable Halifax isn't going to happen.

As for non playable models, I'm probably the only (semi-)active modeler making new ship models for DW (there are some Italian guys, but I haven't talked to them much). Everyone else is taking a break until some bugs are addressed by SCS, or have moved on to other things, or are just MIA.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone active in the community who can convert .3ds models to .j3d, so everything I got on the table is on hold until someone with the capablities comes forward.

LuftWolf
05-29-06, 03:20 AM
Adding new non-playable platforms and weapons to the database is very easy.

The difficulty comes in 1) having models for them 2) having missions that take advantage of the new platforms 3) making time to do such changes sensibly in the face of an otherwise very busy modding schedule (for two people).

Once the LWAMI Mod is about 85% done relative to the things that need to be addressed in dangerous waters, new platforms will become a very high priority, at least for me.

Cheers,
David

aaken
05-29-06, 10:23 AM
Norman,
if you have drawings for the units you mentioned, let me know. I don't have any problem in making new models but I don't think I have drawings of Iroquois or Victoria or Halifax.

TLAM Strike
05-29-06, 12:23 PM
Norman,
if you have drawings for the units you mentioned, let me know. I don't have any problem in making new models but I don't think I have drawings of Iroquois or Victoria or Halifax.

AAken do you have the ablity to add the models to DW or just model them? If you do have the ablity to put in in game I'd like to talk to you about some models I have almost done, mostly Russian support ships. I would also like to discuss a "divison of labor" for DW models.

aaken
05-29-06, 02:06 PM
Hi TLAM,
I can put the models in the game (i.e. I've got the converter).
I've done mostly italian ships (Sauro class SSK, Toti class SSK, U212A class SSK, 1 corvette class [Minerva class], 1 frigate class [Maestrale class], 1 missile destroyer class [De La Penne class], 1 carrier class [Cavour class]) but I've also done the spanish Galerna class SSK (i.e. french Agosta 90A class) and spanish F100 frigate, plus some assorted soviet ships (Nanutchka III, Slava, Typhoon, Oscar, Alfa, Ivan Rogov, Kilo but Typhoon and Oscar didn't come out extremely nice) and the Burke DDG.

TLAM Strike
05-29-06, 02:49 PM
Hi TLAM,
I can put the models in the game (i.e. I've got the converter).
I've done mostly italian ships (Sauro class SSK, Toti class SSK, U212A class SSK, 1 corvette class [Minerva class], 1 frigate class [Maestrale class], 1 missile destroyer class [De La Penne class], 1 carrier class [Cavour class]) but I've also done the spanish Galerna class SSK (i.e. french Agosta 90A class) and spanish F100 frigate, plus some assorted soviet ships (Nanutchka III, Slava, Typhoon, Oscar, Alfa, Ivan Rogov, Kilo but Typhoon and Oscar didn't come out extremely nice) and the Burke DDG.

Good!

I have a Lama Class Missile Transport-Tender done, Kolomna Class Cargo Ship half done, El'Brus Class Salvage and Rescue Ship half done, Amur Class Repair Ship, Atrek Class Submarine Support Ship, a generic Contaner Ship, a generic SEABEE, a T-4 Landing Craft about 1/4 the way done, and three resizes of DW stock models. Oh and although I didn't start making them for DW they can be converted; a Zulu SS (done), Whiskey SS and Twin Clyinder, several GUPPY class subs, and a California class CGN at different stages of constuction.

I use GMAX for modeling (with Lithunwrap for maping, 3D Exploreation for finishing, and Photoshop for painting). I can export to .3ds.

I got some ISP problems so I have to transfer files using IM systems (AIM is the only one I tried) and its real slow needing to start and stop transfers. So sending you the files will need some coordination.

There are some side views (not line drawings though) of those two Canadian ships here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois-class_destroyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_class_frigate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_class_submarine

Living in New York I'm partial to the Canadian Navy (you can see them on Lake Ontario some times) so I wouldn't mind making one or two. I'm partial to the Halifax class frigate and could build that. Care to take the Iroquois?

LW looks like you might have a lot of work ahead of you once your done with all the work you got now. ;)

aaken
05-29-06, 03:44 PM
well, I can start the Victoria ssk and the Iroquois. You can send me the 3ds files via mail or msn if you have it.

FERdeBOER
05-29-06, 05:46 PM
Have you thought to use (asking permission to the authors, of course), some SCXII models?

They made a lot, and very well-looking in my opinion.

Mau
05-29-06, 06:43 PM
Wow, I am in the Canadian Navy! Really looking forward to this!
If you need any more pictures or specs, let me know!

Captain Norman
05-29-06, 07:20 PM
Norman,
I dont have drawings, and unfortanately I have no experience in 3D modeling, but Wikipedia, if u enter Canadian Navy, has some excellent pictures of its ships.

LoBlo
05-29-06, 07:52 PM
Hey aaken. Got any pictures of your work? Sounds interesting.

TLAM Strike
05-29-06, 09:20 PM
Aaken the files are in the mail. They are not comming directly from me so reply by a PM or on the Forum.

LuftWolf
05-30-06, 12:33 AM
Have you thought to use (asking permission to the authors, of course), some SCXII models?

They made a lot, and very well-looking in my opinion.

Other than Xabba, no other SCX modeller will allow their work to be used by anyone other than Thomasew for a DW Mod.

I haven't been contacted by anyone but Xabba, TLAM, aaken, and Amizaur about models (I'm REALLY sorry if I'm forgetting anyone... please PM me again). Once LWAMI4 is out, it's going to be time to do some model importing, and expanding the database with new platforms as well.

In some sense I apologize to the 3-d community for being slow to go this route, but up to a short time ago, I wasn't sure that there were modellers willing to share their work, and my own sense is to fix the games problems first before committing personal time to importing models.

Cheers,
David

aaken
05-30-06, 02:01 AM
Hi TLAM,
I recieved the e-mail with the models. I'll convert them this evening and mail them back at the same address I recieved them.
Most of the pics of the models I made are on the forum of my fellow italian modders.
It's mostly in italian but we have a section dedicated to DW in english with a few pics.
The address is www.forum.maricosom.net. Most of the stuff is not yet texturised (my texturer is still working on Destroyer Command ... if he doesn't start to work on DW soon I'll behead him) so, I'm afraid, the models themselves don't look so cool.

LoBlo
05-30-06, 05:24 PM
Some nice models displayed there. Some look a little polygon happy, what's the polygon count that you usually go for?

aaken
05-30-06, 05:46 PM
Normally I try to go around 15000. Something less for the subs. But I never get problems loading them in the game. The U212A SSK is 132Kb, the Sauro SSK is 326 Kb, the Burke is around 300 Kb, the Agosta SSK is 120 Kb, the Nanutchka is 340 Kb and so on.

aaken
06-01-06, 12:50 PM
I completed the 3d of the Victoria class SSK and I put up just a temporary texture (the final texture will be done later). I didn't have detailed drawings so I tried to make the best out of what I had.
Some pics at sea (sorry for the bad quality):

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Victoria_DW0.jpg
The Windsor snorting

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Victoria_DW1.jpg
Another view of the Windsor snorting

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Victoria_DW2.jpg
The Windsor on the surface

I'll start working on the Iroquois this weekend

TLAM Strike
06-01-06, 01:12 PM
You want me to paint that Aaken? Or are you going to have your guy do it?

EDIT: The Halifax is going good. Almost done with the mesh, just have the electronics gear (radars ETC), props/rudders and some of the deck details (Zodaics and hatches) to do. Then its on to mapping and painting.

Captain Norman
06-01-06, 05:26 PM
Omg u guys rock ur my heroes! I cant believe u would take the time in adding Canadians ships in the game. Thank u all. I dont expect playable ships, as long as I can add my navy to the game.

aaken
06-01-06, 06:22 PM
If you look closely in those pics I added you may see that in the pics at periscope depth, with all the mast raised, the last message on the command line is a message relative to the raising of a mast. In the pic on the surface, the last command is the commencing of low pressure blow in the ballast tanks (which is given after the surfacing). Actually I was driving a chinese kilo to which I put the 3d of the Victoria, changed the name of the class, the name of the ships of the class and the country. If I (or anybody else) put in the database the correct values for the victoria sensors, the correct values for the NL and so on you would actually be driving a simulated Victoria (although with russian-chinese weapons).
God bless whoever created the DWEditor.

LuftWolf
06-01-06, 06:32 PM
God bless whoever created the DWEditor.

Ludger.

TLAM Strike
06-01-06, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking about making a Kingston class patrol boat/mine sweaper. Considering how fast the Halifax is going (I'm amazed at how fast I built this thing) a OPV might not be too hard to squeze in.

Were HMCS Grilse (ex-USS Burrfish) and HMCS Rainbow (ex-USS Argonaut) unmodifed fleet boats? Or was Rainbow a fleet snort and Grilse normal fleet boat? And what sail did they have? I got a GUPPY model I can modify.

XabbaRus
06-02-06, 05:10 PM
Nice Victoria

If I'd known earlier I'd have sent over my painted one :)

Aaken, what is that funny effect where the taper starts at the top of the hull towards the stern. I see that on my models if I try and smooth it too much.

aaken
06-03-06, 02:57 AM
It may have something to do with single sided textures.

Captain Norman
06-03-06, 06:25 PM
You guys are doing an excellent job, im very happy that Canada's navy finally has representation in Dangerous Waters. I cant wait to see a modeled frigate.

TLAM Strike
06-03-06, 06:57 PM
I cant wait to see a modeled frigate. I started painting the Halifax today so it shouldn't be long before its ready to be shown. :rock:

Captain Norman
06-08-06, 05:15 PM
Any updates people?

aaken
06-09-06, 02:24 AM
Sorry, I've been (and still am) ill these past days. For the Iroquois I've finished the hull. I've got to build the superstructures. I hope to have it finished by monday.

willi
06-09-06, 11:33 AM
Dear friend, I wishes you again as soon as possible the health, well precious.

LuftWolf
06-10-06, 12:53 AM
Any updates people?

Understand that this community terms to mod in terms of months rather than days or week.

I hope that might change, but with only seven people (max) working seriously on modding DW, it's not likely. That having been said, ALL the work done in this community with some rare exceptions is top notch.

Captain Norman
06-10-06, 03:01 PM
Any updates people?

Understand that this community terms to mod in terms of months rather than days or week.

I hope that might change, but with only seven people (max) working seriously on modding DW, it's not likely. That having been said, ALL the work done in this community with some rare exceptions is top notch.
Relax, I was just asking, its good to hear a weekly update.

awood6535
06-13-06, 12:47 PM
if you guys would like I have some photos of the subs in and out of the warter so that you could go into great detail. If you would like me to send them to you vie e-mail send me a message.

aaken
06-18-06, 05:42 AM
I finished the Iroquois, textures under work.
a preview (I just put the 3d of the iroquois over a previous unit, the japanese abukuma):

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Iroquois_DW0.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Iroquois_DW1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/yngwiepp/Images/Iroquois_DW2.jpg

Captain Norman
06-24-06, 07:51 PM
Yes! That looks awesome, I feel like I should sing Oh Canada.

TLAM Strike
07-02-06, 04:31 PM
Hi guys. I don't have the internet at my house right now but I've got a lot of model work done in the past month. The Halifax is 90% done. I also got most of the mesh for the Kingston class patrol boat done. Also I have a Kolton and SAM Kolton class DDs almost done, a Turya class hydrofoil torpedo boat, a Riga class frigate, Kirvak I/II frigates and a small airforce: Tu-22 Blinder, Yak 26 Firebar, Su-11 {the one that looks like a MiG-21} and a bunch of Russian AAMs. Talk to you guys again soon.

LuftWolf
07-04-06, 10:38 AM
I've been wondering where you were... good to hear from you! :)

I hope everything is good!

Happy 4th of July!

Cheers,
David

Captain Norman
07-12-06, 04:11 PM
Lookin good guys, keep up the good work.

Captain Norman
07-26-06, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, Canada is deploying ships in the Atlantic for sea trials and may be deployed in Lebanon, this should be interesting.