PDA

View Full Version : DangerDeep on Mac OS X Tiger

bsalyers
04-26-06, 01:35 PM
I've just spent a very frustrating 24 hours researching and attempting tp install Danger From the Deep on Mac OS X. I very much want to give it a try, and according to the dev site, it should be possible. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find useful documentation and nearly impossible to contact anyone. After trying many hours to compile and install the software without assistance, I joined the forum, only to be told that my membership was "pending authorization." I never received an email, and this morning, despite a notice on the forum that I am the "newest member", I still can't log in. "Well," I thought, "I'll just PM a moderator". But no, private messaging is disabled. It is so difficult to reach anyone directly involved with the project that it gives the impression they are trying to avoid it.
There are some pretty clear instructions on the site for installing to the ubiquitous Win32 platform and likewise other linux distros like Debian. Mac OS is mentioned, but there are no detailed instructions for installing and no reference to the "missing GL Library" error I'm getting.
If any of the devs drop by this forum, or anyone knows them, please let me know how I can get in touch or get a little assistance.
TIA.

Deamon
04-26-06, 06:32 PM
Ahh, a desperade Mac user :D

Maybe you have more luck here:

http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/contact.php

Deamon

supposedtobeworking
04-26-06, 08:35 PM
wow I have been looking for a subsim for mac for a while now and this one looks pretty good, i am a college student and can't afford a PC so I have been enduring life without any subsim action for a while now.--if you find out how to get this baby running please let the rest of us know if you'd be so kind.

bsalyers
04-26-06, 09:17 PM
if you find out how to get this baby running please let the rest of us know if you'd be so kind.

I sure will. Deamon was very kind to reply, but I'd already tried to contact someone through that link. I did have better luck signing up at the dev forum than the regular user forum, so maybe I'll get an answer there. If I do, I'll post it here.

FYI, PCs are ridiculously cheap right now. If I were you, I'd buy a $200.00 generic box with no operating system and put Ubuntu Linux (free) on it, then install Danger From the Deep. You can even use an old PC from one of your friends, since Linux is much less resource-intensive than Windows.

rconstruct
04-27-06, 01:22 AM
Hi
Regarding the forums, the forums admin is away until the end of this week (work...), that's why you haven't received any confirmation yet. Regarding the OSX version, Andy Rice, one of the developers, did the fixes, and a package i think, but that was for dangerdeep 0.1, iirc. Still, the code should be compilable under OSX. It builds with gcc 3.3.x, 3.4.x, 4.0x, 4.1, so i don't see why it should fail. The Sconstruct script has OSX entries, and should work just fine. What errors did you had when compiling it? Alternatively, you might want to wait until the end of this week for the confirmation mail, and post these questions there.
Regarding the missing GL library, you should check if you have a libGL.so file, and if you do, check the SConstruct file, to see if it's searching in the correct location (if it isn't, edit it, to point to the correct location).
Dependencies are: libSDL, SDL_image, SDL_net, SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, SDL_sound, SDL_ttf, FFTW3 (and GLUT i think, and OpenGL :)) and Scons obviously (www.scons.org, www.fftw.org, www.libsdl.org)
(FreeGLUT also should work, opensource GLUT replacement, since GLUT seems pretty much dead)

P.S.: if possible, wait until kikaha (the forums admin) returns, for the confirmation, and post there the questions, you could paste the exect error logs, that would help, and eventually even build a OSX package, that we could include in this release, and perhaps even for the next one, since we don't have an OSX box around)

P.P.S.: just 1 thing, can you try to compile with the following line:
scons debug=-1 usex86sse=-1
and see if it works?

bsalyers
04-27-06, 01:43 AM
Thanks, rconstruct;
I'll take your advice. I really appreciate your response. It looks like a beautiful game and I can't wait to try it!
:up:

bsalyers
04-27-06, 01:57 AM
just 1 thing, can you try to compile with the following line:
scons debug=-1 usex86sse=-1
and see if it works?

OK. Thanks for the tips, I was missing some dependencies. Got those installed, then ran scons as you suggested. The process generated the same message, as follows:
"Checking for C header file gl.h... no
GL library must be installed!"
Not sure what this means; I know OSX ships with OpenGL.
Thanks!

rconstruct
04-27-06, 11:07 AM
The opengl headers weren't found. But it would be better to discuss this in the developers forums, if you could wait until the end of this week, i'm sure we can fix this (or at least try ;))

bsalyers
04-27-06, 12:25 PM
if you could wait until the end of this week, i'm sure we can fix this (or at least try ;))

Absolutely. Thanks!

odinfish
04-27-06, 12:32 PM
I'm running Windows XP and have tried to run v.1.1 and can not. I click on the .exe and the game opens for a second then closes, stops...that's it. Any idea about this? From the info I sifted through on the site says that I need some other files if I'm running an older version. But I'm not...I have the most recent.

HELP!!! :oops:

bsalyers
04-29-06, 02:07 PM
The opengl headers weren't found.

Found them. I located gl.h in a path that is probably specific to Tiger OS; I guess that's why scons couldn't find it. Can you point me to the portion of the sconstruct file that I would need to edit to provide the proper path? Or would it be easier to create a symlink in the existing specified location?
Thanks!

bsalyers
04-29-06, 05:30 PM
OK. I found the section of the sconstruct file that tells the compiler where to look for gl.h when compiling for Darwin. It's looking in the right place. Gl.h is there. Now I'm really stumped. The error message I'm getting is exactly 180 degrees wrong. The file it's looking for is not only there, it's in the exact directory the compiler is checking.

I've done all I can on my own. I need some expert help at this point. I guess I'll sit tight until the forum moderator for dangerdeep comes back and gives me access...

rconstruct
04-30-06, 02:05 AM
Hi
I think the moderator already arrived, we might discuss this in the developers forums ;)
As for the error, that error also happens with some incorrect option is being passed somehow. I'm going to take a closer look at the SConstruct file, and talk with Thorsten about this.
Regarding the windows installation, i have absolutely no clue as to what's wrong. Thorsten did the windows package, and he included all the required DLLs (FFTW, SDL, etc...), so everything should work ok. Anyone here has tried the windows package, and had any problems with it? Any information would be useful to diagnose any potential problems.

odinfish
04-30-06, 07:10 AM
Hi again...as it turns out, I can provide a bit more information than I thought would be possible. After about a hundred times of running the .exe and making the black start-up screen come up and blinking off in less than a second, I've managed to read the error. It says "SIGSEGV catching not supported on Win32 systems."

Hope that helps...if not, I'll give Danger a shot on my other PC when I get home in a few weeks. :)