PDA

View Full Version : dynamic weather in SH4

THE_MASK
04-16-06, 10:43 PM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1637/sh3map2ub.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Would it be possible to have dynamic hurricanes in SH4 . Wind above a certain speed created by hurricanes would blow ships out of the hurricanes path . You know how at the moment in SH3 if you come close to another ship it reverses to get out of your way then proceeds as normal when you pass . Very simmilar to this but except its a hurricane that pushes the ships out of the way .

Egan
04-17-06, 11:06 AM
And really make it dynamic instead of Totally random this time. Tie it into location and season, please. Fog banks, sqauls and truly monstrous seas -all the rest of it.

Ta.

DeepSix
04-17-06, 11:19 AM
And really make it dynamic instead of Totally random this time. Tie it into location and season, please. Fog banks, sqauls and truly monstrous seas -all the rest of it.

Ta.

Second that.

Rosencrantz
04-17-06, 11:38 AM
But how about weather reports given to boats? It would be great if you could get a weather report per day so you would know what's coming in few next days. the weather coming is rather essential part when you are planning your coming operations. What do you think?

DeepSix
04-17-06, 11:46 AM
I'd like to have a forecast, just as I'd like to have it in SH3. But from reading Blair it looks like a lot of boats found themselves in foul weather without knowing about it in advance. I don't know if they just weren't given forecasts, or if the forecasts were inacccurate, or what. You would think that the boats going to sea would be given some idea of what conditions to expect, but maybe they weren't. Maybe because they would be gone for many more days than the forecasters could predict. Maybe because conditions change rapidly.

OT - Be interesting to hear an explanation.

CCIP
04-17-06, 11:49 AM
I can live with "global" weather in SHIV, BUT - if nothing else, it absolutely must include volumetric fogging - fog banks and rain squalls are just such a key feature to have!

Sixpack
04-18-06, 12:42 PM
I want really realistic weather bad. Guys, just by keeping a close eye on the sky and the barometer, hydrometer and temperature a skipper can make his own pretty accurate weather forecasts.

Imagine this stuff actually realisticly happening in the sim. Air pressure changes and the approaching and passing of low and high pressure fronts corresponding with changes in clouds, seastate, winds aso. Freakin' awesome :rock:

I'd pay top euro for that fine ****e ! :up:

Trout
04-25-06, 10:53 AM
All sub sims traditionally focus gameplay on hunting, attacking and evasion (including damage control), (which is how it should be)

However, the more you can make non-fighting aspects of gameplay more interesting, the better. It takes a LONG time to get to a patrol area and one way to make that more fun and challenging is to add dynamic weather, options for realistic navigation, shoals, currents, hazards minefields ect.

Basically, navigating & sailing a submarine should be a challenge regardless of combat, much the same way MSFS makes flying civilian aircraft fun.

Trout

-Pv-
04-25-06, 07:33 PM
I would like to see dynamic weather better handled in SHIV. The random weather in SHIII that rarely (if ever) changes once well away from port is not very satisfyling in SHIII. I'm not too concerned with forcasts since weather prediction 60 years ago was nothing like it is now. They didn't look at satellite pics but relied on radio reports from ships at sea. If pressure humidity and temperature gauges DID exist, AND they reflected dynamic changes, I would welcome that. Realistic weather modeling is very difficult almost requiring an entire program all by itself. Look at Flight Simulater which has been increasingly modeling weather for 20 years and they still don't have 100% realism.

If nothing else, gradually changing conditions toward psudo-random storm-calm states would be a big improvment.
-Pv-