PDA

View Full Version : Who still plays SC?

Linton
04-15-06, 06:42 PM
I was just wondering who still plays SC and whether any of you are still writing missions for it?Would any of you consider modifying some of the DW missions back to SC and are there any Multiplayer games still going on?

Konovalov
04-17-06, 05:15 AM
Yes, as I still don't have DW but at present I am heavily investing my spare time in SHIII. I have never taken SC with SCXIIc off my hard drive ever.

Linton
04-17-06, 04:12 PM
I have Dw but was not particularly impressed with it.i am not interested in the flight-sim side and I thought the Perry was a poor choice.Also with all the platforms of SCX I would have thought that a few other nations submarines(trafalgars )could have been included.So i am still playing SCX

Sea Demon
04-17-06, 11:33 PM
I still play SC/SCX. It's the only game that lets me put together true Cold War missions. And yes, even though I'm a bloody Yank, I love playing the SCU Trafalgar SSN.

I've got DW and spend most of my time on it. I love DW. But still SC, and Fleet Command both are still on my hard drive for the things that they provide.

Bellman
04-18-06, 12:21 AM
Copy SD - SX/SCX still on HD plus Harpoon - but neither give way to the superb adrenalin trip of DW.

Sub Sailor
04-20-06, 08:48 PM
I still play SCXIIc and I still like it. As some of you have said I don't play the air platforms, and while I have tried the FFG don't really like it.
The Kilo is probably a fine inshore or littoral unit but I like Nuke boast and I am especially partial to the 688i and the Seawolf, sometime the Akula. I like the weapons in SCXIIc and I like such things as the ping chart that was developed for active intercept.
I have DW and I play it but I paid for platforms I never use.
As one of you said I believe a better surface platform could have been picked.

Respectfully,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)

Bellman
04-22-06, 01:28 AM
A great pity for bubbleheads that as SCX11c reached a peak of perfection , given some limitations,
the pied piper DW lured the MP punters to new delights. The party moved on. But its now a great party with LwAmi.

Sub Sailor
04-22-06, 08:56 AM
Whether SCXIIc reached its peak of perfection or not is probably in the eyes of the beholder.
I am a bubble head, but I have always stayed current with the state of the US Navy, and when I can, I try to learn about other Navies as well. My only negative and a minor one was I believe the designers could have picked a better surface platform that the OHP FFG. The choice of H-60 and the P-3 are excellent, it is probably to most wide spread Maritime Aircraft in the world today. I happen to believe the FFG is extremely limited, it is basically and ASW platform, and the Helos make it an excellent one.
I, as an individual choose to play the Subs-688i and then Seawolf- it is simply a personal preference, obviously the Kilo is the most popular diesel boat in the world to day and I wish we would build some, if for no other reason than to learn to detect and combat them.
I started on Nuclear Submarines in 1962 and believe that that is the best power source for a Sub, oh I am a nuke bubble head, but I don't want pity for my beliefs. I certainly respect yours I like SC, and I will give you another reason to pity me-I still play the old 688i H/K.
DW has something for everyone and LAW MI as done for DW what the developers did with SC when they came out with SCXIIc and SCU, which I have never installed.
I enjoy these sims, I am 65 years old with arthritis and I suppose I can relive the old days by playing them. I don't hike the mountains of Idaho as well now as I use to, and Naval sims are a big source of entertainment for me. Hell if gas keeps gong up they will probably become even more so. I respect the work that has been done and the work that will be done on all the sims and I will continue to exercise my preference for sims and platforms; I don't use the P-3, the helo, FFG, Kilo, occasionally the Akula, but I have never advocated removing any of them. I enjoy 688i and SCXIIc because it is a time period I have personal knowledge of. Yes i would very much like to see a sim developed based on the Virginia class SSN, and I wish Sonalyst would come out with a new improved version of Fleet Command. But again, I love pure Naval Sims and I love US Subs.

Free choice a wonderful thing,

Hitman
04-23-06, 10:03 AM
I still play SCXII, specially Cold War scenarios. I have recently written a short campaign in the cold war era for personal use (I'm not that skilled to make it public) and I'm having lot of fun. But in general I have lately very little time to play to any sim. :( Too busy with my work and a 1 year child plus another one coming in October :88)

Sub Sailor
04-23-06, 04:02 PM
Hitman I am working on some for SCXIIc and when I have them ready I will send some to you.
I would love to look at you campaign.

Have a good one,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret) :rock:

XabbaRus
04-23-06, 04:42 PM
Going back to SC with SCXIIC.

I am getting a little disillusioned with DW.

Most missions made still seem to be for submarines, not that many really for the FFG.

So in some ways maybe better off to stick with SC if you want to drive nukes.

The way that certain things weren't working properly too in DW eg ASROCS, torpedoes range vs speed etc...

I know Jamie might not be too happy with me saying this but I don't think the AI is any much improved in DW. Ships still run aground, user commands aren't functional as they were in SC.

Kapitan
04-23-06, 05:02 PM
I loved the SCXII models id love that in DW i know its going to take time if they ever do decide to bring something like that out, but it gave you more of a choice and better realism.

With SCXII installed i feel as if ive taken a step backwards in buying DW, but realy i love them both.

Bellman
04-24-06, 01:39 AM
I doubt that there enough of us to get in some dives !

Sea Demon
04-26-06, 08:18 PM
I'm working on two FFG missions currently. I'm just testing two sub missions that I will upload this weekend for DW. I still think DW is the superior product for me, personally. But SC/SCX is something I can't seem to leave. In SC, I can drive Permit Class, the deadly Trafalgar, and the beloved Sturgeons. In DW, I can hunt for subs in Air units, I can skipper a surface warship, and I got access to a Red diesel sub.

I say both of these sims are excellent in their own way. Both can do things that the other can't. In that regard, I recommend that everyone play both. :up: :rock:

XabbaRus
04-27-06, 02:45 AM
I don't know. Of late I have become more dissillusioned with DW. Some of the stuff that people are reported that still isn't fixed since day one. Certain things like FFG TMA keeping targets at 5.5 nm regardless of what sensor picked it up.

I'm going to wait and see with the 1.04 patch.

Bellman
04-27-06, 04:07 AM
SD: That sounds promising - look forward to that ! :up:

My 'disillusionment' is with DW MP via Gamespy ! Oh for the good 'ole days ! SCX dives with the likeminded :cool:

Linton
04-27-06, 06:25 PM
ramius are you out there and still playing this wonderful game,and is thomassew still active?

Molon Labe
04-27-06, 07:14 PM
I don't know. Of late I have become more dissillusioned with DW. Some of the stuff that people are reported that still isn't fixed since day one. Certain things like FFG TMA keeping targets at 5.5 nm regardless of what sensor picked it up.

I'm going to wait and see with the 1.04 patch.

You know, I could have sworn that was fixed in 1.03... better go check.

Yep, it was. :stare:

Hitman
04-29-06, 03:48 AM
Hitman I am working on some for SCXIIc and when I have them ready I will send some to you.
I would love to look at you campaign.

Have a good one,

Hi Ron,

thanks will love to play them :D As for my scenarios, my main problem comes with the goals, as I haven't yet managed to make them work properly, specially the "stay undetected" one and the dynamic ones. For example I have a short campaign (An operation divided in three missions) in the cold war where you command a sturgeon and are tasked to enter undetected the Persian Gulf avoiding iranian patrols in the strait of Hormuz, conduct a special mission and leave again undetected. And I can't manage to make the "stay undetected" goal work properly as well as having the sim add more patrols looking for you in the second mission if you were detected in the first :-? I guess it's all a matter of practice, but unfortunately lack much time to dedicate the needed hours for this.... :nope:

Cheers

Bellman
05-01-06, 02:40 AM
I wonder whether there are enough of us interested in having some MP action ?

From the posts here, and elsewhere, there is a hint of a few old SC divers frustrated with DW Gamespy,
who might relish a dive or two ? :hmm:

rman214
09-07-06, 11:15 AM
I still play mine once and awhile. I like driving the older US subs like the original 688 class, the 637 class and the Permit class with the SCX mods. I guess it reminds me of my days with Microprose RSR :up: The USS Hammerhead SSN 663 was my favorite boat in those days.:arrgh!:

Grayback
11-06-06, 09:20 AM
I've owned SC for a few years but haven't been able to get myself into it. It's not a fault of the game - I'm just the kind of simmer who gets intimidated by complex sims and needs to work his way through it. I've just reinstalled SC and SCXII last night. I haven't played it yet - I'll finish the intall with SCXIIc tonight (maybe) and give that SCU a try. I guess that even with SCU, I'll still confine myself to the Seawolf until I get comfortable with the game. Isn't the Seawolf the easiest of the three subs (and just about any available for the game)? I'm hoping to work my way through the advanced western ships down to the cold war soviet ships.

Linton
11-06-06, 06:47 PM
I was wondering where all the SC modders have disappeared to?
DW it seems is going to be very slow to fulfill its potential so perhaps some attention could be shown back to SC.
Is there any possibility a lwami type mod could be produced?

Kapitan
11-07-06, 05:49 AM
Well because of sonalasyst cant break a contract they cant release a mod but i prefer the SC for the units it has over DW but i favour DW because its more realistic.

But hey when i get my SC back im playing it.

Grayback
11-07-06, 12:05 PM
I was wondering where all the SC modders have disappeared to?

Speaking for myself, the stock game offers enough to keep me busy. I know more devoted players like to have as many mods as possible but I'm hamstrung enough just to get past the challenges of the basic game without having to worry about modding.

Wolfsflames
11-08-06, 04:52 AM
im still playing, but im not good, who want to MP with me to learn me more about this beautifull game?:)

Castout
11-09-06, 04:26 AM
I still got SC in my harddrive. But i seldom play it. I play SC after being frustated by DW unrealistic torpedo behavior. Now since i got LWAMI....i don't see any point of playing SC except to replay its old missions & marvelous campaign. SC definitely got waaay better campaign than DW.

Captain Nemo
11-14-06, 06:57 AM
I'm into SHIII at the moment, but SC will never leave my hard drive. I fired it up a couple of weeks ago and played the quick mission Command Challenge. With SCX I think SC has the edge over DW at the moment.

Nemo

Konovalov
11-14-06, 08:02 AM
I'm into SHIII at the moment, but SC will never leave my hard drive.

Same here. :yep:

suBB
11-15-06, 12:23 AM
i miss my thresher....:cry:

at the moment I'm making a map for dw so no SCX for me:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=92394

but how do my miss the thresher, typhoon(hull B), sierra 2, trenchent..

some of the akula variants...

688 (FLT 2, USS Dallas hull :yep:)

victor III (wheres my SC disks!!!)

and..

the spearfish torpedo :up:

GrayFox
11-18-06, 02:44 PM
I still play SC with SCX. I would love to battle with other sub online, but havent found anyone else that still plays SC. Anyone thats up for a match, drop me a message.

Sub Sailor
11-19-06, 10:38 AM
I am still enjoying SC, and I now have the "Naval Compact Pack", and the flashing is gone, Bravo Zulu" to the people who fixed it.
Now SC is really enjoyable, especially with SCXIIc installed. Don't know about SCU.
I know there are many people on this site who criticize SC, but as a 24 year Veteran of the Submarine Service, most of it during the Cold War, SC is a damm fine simulations, closer to REAL submarine operations than other sims.
Now before you start firing in the post of how dumb I am preferring SC more than DW, I believe in free choice, so if you don't like SC don't play it, but respect my right to prefer SC over DW, and please note no criticism is made about DW.
I actually believe the NCP will breathe new life into "an old sim", and people like myself will start developing new scenarios. I hope Mr. Nichols adapts his excellent "Red Strom Rising" campaign and single scenarios to this rejuvenated sim. Hint Hint :D :up: :rock:
For the record the "Old Man" went Buffalo hunting and got a real fine animal, about 1000 pounds, so mucho meat in the freezer, along with this year's Elk. If you are in Idaho stop in for some fine steaks.

Smooth Sailing everyone,

Linton
12-19-06, 06:29 PM
How many new people are playing SC since the combat pack was launched?

Sub Sailor
12-20-06, 11:58 AM
I am and I will tell everyone it is great. I run SCXIIc and no flickering, it is playing like the SubSim it was meant to be.

Iron Budokan
12-30-06, 09:19 PM
I came to SC by way of the Naval Pack. I like it a lot and of the three in the pack it's by far my favorite.

Andy
12-31-06, 09:30 AM
Going back to SC with SCXIIC.

I am getting a little disillusioned with DW.

Most missions made still seem to be for submarines, not that many really for the FFG.

So in some ways maybe better off to stick with SC if you want to drive nukes.

The way that certain things weren't working properly too in DW eg ASROCS, torpedoes range vs speed etc...

I know Jamie might not be too happy with me saying this but I don't think the AI is any much improved in DW. Ships still run aground, user commands aren't functional as they were in SC.

If nobody is honest then things will never get inproved. :up:

Bellman
12-31-06, 11:02 AM
******* Post self-censored ******* - Heck I sounded like Skybird ! :rotfl:

Sufficient to say that there is still a lot of mileage left in SCX11c for we Nukers.

Sub Sailor
12-31-06, 12:16 PM
I believe as soon as more people get the NCP and start playing SCXIIc and maybe SCU you will see more missions and possibly some Campaigns for it.
I am working on one now that I hope to test and refine this week, and then submit it to Bill's web page.
I don't know what other type of mods can be made, but I really like SC, I am not happy with sonar, and no I still have not figured out how to "tweak the data base", but I play it more than any sim I have.

Linton
01-01-07, 04:50 AM
I have never yet played any of the stock missions with the Akula so I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

XabbaRus
01-01-07, 03:29 PM
What is NCP?

eddie
01-01-07, 03:52 PM
What is NCP?

Isn't that the short way of saying "Naval Combat Pack", with the 3 sims in it?

Linton
01-01-07, 07:41 PM
NCP used to run car parks in the UK.I am interested to know how many people have been introduced to SC through the combat pack.

Sonny160
01-04-07, 04:04 PM
I am playing SC...and im going to try the scx packs to !

I would like to see that we get a online score board like SH2 and likes, so that we can battle through the charts with the rest of the players.

Anyway ! i am up for online games anytime ! im not an ace, and want to learn as fast as i can to get better, but by the manual and training missions it will take a lot of time to get it.

1 Question: SC downloads, like patch 1.08 and SCXII if i want a fully good operating game, what do i need to download, and in what order....?

TX!

LoBlo
01-20-07, 10:26 AM
I just bought the game and am really enjoying all the custom made missions and new platforms. Great game... better than DW in some ways actually.

Reinhard Hardegen
02-05-07, 07:56 PM
I have had the game some time now (since 2002) and I am just now getting into seeing what this game can do. So I have it loaded again with SCXIIc and giving it a goog trial run.:up:

Sub Sailor
02-06-07, 12:42 AM
Reinhard,
If you can, get the Naval Combat Pack, most of us had trouble with SC flashing when we went to XP. NCP fixed that.
I have played SC from the beginning and love it, especially with SCXIIc.
You will fine many custom missions on Subgru site.

I believe you will like it,

maciej71
02-07-07, 06:06 PM
I was just wondering who still plays SC and whether any of you are still writing missions for it?Would any of you consider modifying some of the DW missions back to SC and are there any Multiplayer games still going on?

Me, I'm playing SC/SCXII and working out some custom missions :)

Regards,
Maciej

netab
05-19-07, 03:08 AM
Tried DW and reloaded SC - its where the basics are.

Fish
05-19-07, 11:54 AM
where can i get SC mods?

At Subguru's http://www.subguru.com/ :rock:

Wxman
06-26-07, 07:36 PM
I still play it. And I have a lot of what I consider to be essential mods for the sim, i.e., sound paks, e.g., Ambient Sounds (replaces in sim music with sub activity sounding stuff), Boomer's sounds (that can be integrated into the SCX if one uses the editor and is well worth the reward for the effort), Sonarman_1019's sounds (the two foregoing not only providing more authentic sounds for vessels but for biologic contacts, whale sound and shrimps are just phenomenal), Spooks infamous skins, several other skin paks, e.g., McCarm's Akula II, Russian Kilo, and unknown authored Bremen, Russian fleet, supertanker and Charles F. Adams. There's some other stuff too, e.g. TA droop graphs, frequency lists, alternate desktop icons for SC, doctrine language and specification documentation for mission editing, and stuff.

I don't know where all how much of any of that is available anywhere else, but what I have I believe to indespensible for proper SCX play.

jomni
06-27-07, 02:56 AM
I just bought the game (Naval combat pack) and find it a blast! :rock:

Xplodotron
07-12-07, 12:06 AM
I am trying to avoid buying Dangerous Water, just because I am so perfectly happy with SC.

But for the life of me, I can't ever find a server to play online! Where the freak are the freaking freaky MP games?!

Maybe subsim should have a SC Matchup forum? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

- X

Mush Martin
07-29-07, 11:01 AM
Hmmm I here my copy calling to me off of the shelf of late........

whats the current state of the art for sub command?

you know the must haves.

also I have never modded it what method?

M

Kapitan
08-11-07, 05:53 AM
I do play most evening either SC or DW moded up of course so any one wants a game PM me date and GMT time and il see what i can do.

JackSparrow
08-13-07, 02:14 PM
I used to be addicted to Sub Command, but lost the disk... I'm going to see if maybe i could buy a new cd off ebay...

Snakeeyes
12-04-07, 07:08 PM
Hell! I'm looking at coming back to it soon!

Frame57
06-08-08, 08:18 PM
Whether SCXIIc reached its peak of perfection or not is probably in the eyes of the beholder.
I am a bubble head, but I have always stayed current with the state of the US Navy, and when I can, I try to learn about other Navies as well. My only negative and a minor one was I believe the designers could have picked a better surface platform that the OHP FFG. The choice of H-60 and the P-3 are excellent, it is probably to most wide spread Maritime Aircraft in the world today. I happen to believe the FFG is extremely limited, it is basically and ASW platform, and the Helos make it an excellent one.
I, as an individual choose to play the Subs-688i and then Seawolf- it is simply a personal preference, obviously the Kilo is the most popular diesel boat in the world to day and I wish we would build some, if for no other reason than to learn to detect and combat them.
I started on Nuclear Submarines in 1962 and believe that that is the best power source for a Sub, oh I am a nuke bubble head, but I don't want pity for my beliefs. I certainly respect yours I like SC, and I will give you another reason to pity me-I still play the old 688i H/K.
DW has something for everyone and LAW MI as done for DW what the developers did with SC when they came out with SCXIIc and SCU, which I have never installed.
I enjoy these sims, I am 65 years old with arthritis and I suppose I can relive the old days by playing them. I don't hike the mountains of Idaho as well now as I use to, and Naval sims are a big source of entertainment for me. Hell if gas keeps gong up they will probably become even more so. I respect the work that has been done and the work that will be done on all the sims and I will continue to exercise my preference for sims and platforms; I don't use the P-3, the helo, FFG, Kilo, occasionally the Akula, but I have never advocated removing any of them. I enjoy 688i and SCXIIc because it is a time period I have personal knowledge of. Yes i would very much like to see a sim developed based on the Virginia class SSN, and I wish Sonalyst would come out with a new improved version of Fleet Command. But again, I love pure Naval Sims and I love US Subs.

Free choice a wonderful thing,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)Right on Ron! I too relive the "good ole days". I would love to see a 637 class platform come out with a setting in the 60's and 70's. My boat were Archerfish and Russell. I was a non nuke Machinist Mate, spent all of my time fixing the usual hydraulic leaks and those dang penton seals in the O2 gennie. Those years were truly the best of my life. Always enjoy your posts Master Chief.:up:

Blacklight
06-09-08, 02:42 AM
I still regularly play Sub Command with SCXIIc, 688i Hunterliker, and Dangerous Waters with LWAMI. :up:

Randall Flagg
06-23-08, 11:47 AM
i'm playing it right now :)

with the playable ohio class!

i'm not impressed with dangerous waters

Kapitan
06-23-08, 01:03 PM
depends on personal taste the models and graphics are better, and also with mods alot better than SC is but it lacks things like SCX models and specialist drivable units like the ohio.

Blacklight
06-23-08, 07:49 PM
Games that never leave my hard drive:
Sub Command with SCU/SCX
688i Hunterkiller
Dangerous Waters with LWAMI
Silent Hunter III with GWX 2.1
Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare
The Operational Art of War III
City of Heroes
Neverwinter Nights
Freedom Force
:up:

So yes... I still play Sub Command :up:

VonGlaus
07-22-08, 07:02 PM
I still play it, because it runs on my laptop. When I'm stuck at work for a week at a time it keeps me happy. I still like SH3 better...

Capt Hook
08-12-08, 10:34 AM
Glad I found this thread, I remember buying SC so many years ago in a bargin bin. Gonna seek it out in my storage unit and fire it up again. Waiting on a copy of Shells of Fury I bought last night.
And I thought I never had a sub game, Oh well! Now I have two. Hope I can get it before you guys move on to other sims.

Frame57
08-13-08, 04:00 PM
I still like Sc better than DW. I tried the fury game and found it to be a bit cheesy,

Capt Hook
08-24-08, 01:14 PM
One must start at the bottom of the class, mate. Then come to appreciate the finer games ahead. Gotta find me a couple three lg. ball bearings to twittle with till IUF comes out.
Untill then, I'll stow me gear and continue fightin the tea bags over Flanders field in my DR1.
Flying coffins, Steel coffins, your still gonna die.

Da Hook

Frame57
08-24-08, 11:33 PM
One must start at the bottom of the class, mate. Then come to appreciate the finer games ahead. Gotta find me a couple three lg. ball bearings to twittle with till IUF comes out.
Untill then, I'll stow me gear and continue fightin the tea bags over Flanders field in my DR1.
Flying coffins, Steel coffins, your still gonna die.

Da HookYa gotta love it. We have come a long way since Atari:up:

AirHippo
08-29-08, 12:55 AM
I confess myself very torn at present. I've been playing DW religiously these past few weeks (and finally getting the hang over driving my precious Akulas, especially K-461), and I must confess it seems nowhere near as... frustrating as SC was in my memory, especially with the SCX mod added (dim memories of trundling along cautiously at five knots and being bombarded with Mk. 46s by SH-60s spring to mind!).

On the other hand, as many have pointed out and I myself have realised, only SC with SCX can give you that really hectic, frankly downright scary Cold War Feel to a mission. I only realised this yesterday, when attempting to make a quick Cold War G-I-UK breakthrough mission brought home to me the sadly curtailed number of units available to us poor DW players - whither the Swiftsures, the Sturgeons, the mighty Alpha and Sierra-II? When one remembers being able to set up Mediterranean Cold War battles in which half a dozen Julietts, backed by some Charlies and a selection of varied classes of attack boats (including some decidedly antediluvian Foxtrots!) could make co-ordinated attacks against a US CVBG, it's certainly a come-down.

Out of curiosity, which of the two would people rate as more realistic? I know it's a bit of a daft question (mostly because I wouldn't have much clue either way; my knowledge of naval warfare is purely theoretical, thank you very much medical unfitness for service), but it's been bothering me for some days of late. In DW (with LWAMI) I've found it possible to sink the Constellation and two escorts, all without coming under serious attack apart from the odd Mk. 50. To my memory, attempting such in SC (especially using the sort of close-range attacks I prefer to employ) would see one swiftly riddled with torpedoes.

Frame57
08-29-08, 03:05 PM
Hi Air hippo. The realism question is one I ponder too. Because I have found the auto crew to basically suck. As ooposed to what we did in reality in the cold war. Our ability to pick up Soviet boomer was un-paralleled. I cannot get the game to pattern this. Even using the latest and greatest Seawolf. I noticed that these subs cannot adjust trim angle which is vital to get deep fast. However in the 688i game even though I cannot manually adjust the trim angle of the boat the game will produce 30 degree up or down angles. These are without a doubt the best sims for modern subwarefare but personally they do not offer realism in my experience. They based it from Sonalysts and revolved it around sonar. Great if you want to be a sonar tech. But no game offers a real CO experience. Take care and I am sorry to hear about a medical condition. maybe we will make you an honorary submariner. you can still joint the Naval Submarine league which supports our Submarine service and gets in congresses face when need be.:up:

AirHippo
08-30-08, 02:12 AM
Haha! Nice to hear an endorsement from a genuine submariner, even one from across the pond - this sceptred isle's senior service has a long-running rivalry with you damned colonials over who's best (and naturally I'm partisan) ;). The medical condition's asthma, incidentally - can't imagine it being a problem on a Trafalgar or a Resolution, but who am I to argue with Her Majesty's Government eh? Although I do wonder if there's a similar group of the Naval Submarine League in old Britannia... hrm...

Anyroad (to get back to the subject) - correct me if I'm wrong, but trim angle adjustment is the process of altering the submarine's angle relative to the horizontal by flooding and blowing ballast tanks through her length, hence the vast numbers of polished sea-cocks on that old Foxtrot at Liverpool (which, sadly, has now been sectioned by being cut in two - what a fate for a poor old warrior like her), right? I always figured it was modelled in the game's diving/rising mechanics, rather than relying solely on the planes.

Interestingly, I seem to remember that the SC Akulas would adopt quite steep dives if you were going fast enough - orders to "set depth four hundred metres" (when running at, say, 120m) issued at 25 knots usually produced an angle of about 20 degrees, if memory serves. DW's boats seem rather more reluctant to nosedive, and I have often wondered if this is a limitation in the game engine. Maybe it also precludes crash-diving, something I've often sorely missed when some twat in an Orion is ploughing towards me and my boat's diving with all the urgency of a bag full of helium.

I've also noticed the auto-crew being of various degrees of suck; they're noticeably reluctant to classify anything as anything until they've popped out of an escape hatch to inspect its bloody hull number, which is very handy when you're pretty sure there are two or three 688s nearbvy and they refuse to make them anything more substantial than "that bit of noise in the ocean, tovarishch Kapitain". And let's not get started on those useless bloody radar operators...

Frame57
08-31-08, 01:10 PM
After two and half hitches in the sub service i developed ulcers and had to get out. sad day for me, but i will cherish the time i spent on those boats forever. In combat tactics providing a sub has acheived neutral bouyancy, trim angle is produced by speed and the degree of plane usage. Certainy you blow forward ballast to increase that like when an emergency blow is conducted for example. The critical thing is to either get above or below a layer-fast if a torpedo is in the water. Or even emergency surface if you are gambling on the enemies presets. In Sc I put the Seawolf to a flank bell and ordered a 900 foot depth and the sorry SOB's could only give me a 7 degree down angle and it took me what seemed forever to get to 900 feet. Well the helo sunk my arse rather well. Not too mention that in real life our sonar can estimate the incoming speed and range of a torpedo which we do not have in the game. If I have an incoming torpedo that is within 300 yards I am going to use countermeasures obviously and high speed changes in depth and course.

I had the honor to have some suds with some British Submariners back in 1980. I was envious as they told me they get to have beer on the Sub. I was shocked in a good way and wanted to be a British sub sailor ever since:up:

xptical
02-03-10, 07:58 PM
I just reinstalled SubCommand and Silent Hunter 3. Any must-have mods?

Robsoie
02-04-10, 04:37 AM
For Sub Command, the usually recommended mod is SCU/SCX that can be found there :
http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html

But notice that the missions and campaigns from unmodded Sub Command will be rather broken with SCU/SCX, as Sonalyst missions were not designed not for the specific SCU/SCX detection , range, etc, that can lead into problems.

By example in the "super escort" mission in which if played with SCU/SCX will have the tanker destroyed 1 minute after mission start by surface missiles shot by some Kilo from the other side of the map, and so leading you to fail the mission (as you are supposed to hunt and sink 2 Kilo before the tanker arrive on their location).

If you install SCU/SCX, to spare you frustrating time, it is better to then download and play with missions designed for SCU/SCX.
You can find a bunch of them here :
http://www.subguru.com/missions.htm

xptical
02-04-10, 11:29 PM
Thanks. It even looks like there are a ton of training missions designed for the modded version.

I think I'll play the unmodded version a while and then see where I go from there.

fastbikkel
03-03-10, 04:28 AM
Reinstalled the game again (SC) , i like nuclear sub sims.

goldorak
03-03-10, 06:06 AM
Reinstalled the game again (SC) , i like nuclear sub sims.

Then you should try Dangerous Waters.

Shrimp
03-05-10, 06:17 AM
I also digged Sub Command out. It is quite a fun. However, i got troubles to got that SCxIIC working, I want to try it out! How was the procedure to install it, and how to change my sub? I got the patch 1.08 already installed, how shall i procede with SCxIIc?

Any ideas?

Note: My English sucks, maybe the reason for failing to install SCXIIc..:wah: