PDA

View Full Version : Somalian Pirates !

Palindromeria
03-19-06, 01:48 PM
Just heard something about how 2 US navy ships patrolling off Somalia approached a suspicious ship . it opened fire on them with handheld missile or grenade launchers ! :o Needless to the say, the US NAVY immediately returned fire and subdued the pirates (killing 1 wounding 5 pirates- i did not hear of US casualties), this same band of pirates may have been responsible for the attack on a passenger cruise ship about 6 months ago.

Aside from my general surpise ,concern ,and interest in the real events and the navy personnel themselves , I read a post here regarding the need for "realistic" missions which for subs in particular can be a bit hard in a general peace time era.

i just thought this might be a good launch point for a DW campaign.

if i had a clue what i was doing - id give it a whack myself.

maybe the pirates have secretly acquired a few Russian Kilos / Akulas thru their Korean liaisons and are trying to sink an entire CVBG with a nuke tipped torp :arrgh!:

Dr.Sid
03-20-06, 03:01 AM
Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia. Killo is different kind, especially the old one. But can somalian pirates (poor guys in the first place) get hands on it ?
Iran fleet is quite rich and those missions will get 'realistic' soon enough.

TLAM Strike
03-20-06, 09:17 AM
Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia. Incorrect. The Russians leased a Charlie II SSGN and Akula SSNs to India. Also the US basically designed and built the aft end (reactors, engines etc) of HMS Dreadnaught. So nuclear submarines have been sold.

Winston
03-20-06, 09:45 AM
Also a sub is a complex bit of kit. How would they learn to operate it? Also they would need to keep it hidden when it was not out at sea and they would need to find weapons for it and what about keeping it fuelled?

SUBMAN1
03-20-06, 12:03 PM
I guess the best way to describe it then is, a nuclear sub has never been sold to a non nuclear country.

-S

Palindromeria
03-20-06, 01:56 PM
Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia. Killo is different kind, especially the old one. But can somalian pirates (poor guys in the first place) get hands on it ?
Iran fleet is quite rich and those missions will get 'realistic' soon enough.

i was blending the storylines of a couple different Patrick Robinson novels ... ;)

Palindromeria
03-27-06, 02:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4283396.stm

was looking for Dangerous Waters stuff and came across this article instead. :-j :lol:

Bort
03-28-06, 12:33 AM
Incorrect. The Russians leased a Charlie II SSGN and Akula SSNs to India. Also the US basically designed and built the aft end (reactors, engines etc) of HMS Dreadnaught. So nuclear submarines have been sold.

I'd heard about the Charlie but not the Akula lease to India. Supposedly the Charlie lease was a real mess, the Russian engineers stayed on board and wouldn't allow the Indians into the reactor spaces so they didn't get what they wanted in the first place out of the deal, experience operating nuke boats. It left a very sour taste in India's mouth and the Charlie was returned after a very short period. Thats the USSR for you... :doh: