PDA

View Full Version : Show Link Data

Werewolf13
03-06-06, 05:37 PM
I've designed a simple little scenario that pits an OH Perry against a couple of French FFL's. The Perry is on side 0 and the french ffl's on side 1.

There are a number of civilian neutral sailboats and a cruise ship in the scenario. There is a Boeing 747 flying over the area.

The Perry and the French FFL's start out about 50 miles apart.

The FFL's are not detected at the beginning of the scenario but somewhen about 10 minutes in one or the other and eventually both will show up as surface targets alliance unknown. The sensor Source is LINK.

What the heck is that. There are no friendly platforms like other US ships, subs or aircrafts that could supply Link 11 data to the Perry so how is the Perry getting link data and from who?

I'd understand if there were other US platforms in the scenario linking their sensor data to the Perry but there aren't.

What's the deal here?

BigBadVuk
03-06-06, 06:41 PM
Well im not Scenario wizzard but did u maybe created aliances and put franch FFgs in 1st and all other in second? :doh:

GunnersMate
03-06-06, 07:03 PM
Replay mission and note any contacts within 9-12 miles of hostiles. Prolly a neutral was put on ownside by mistake.

Molon Labe
03-06-06, 07:05 PM
The source of the link should be displayed in the DDI. Look for that track on NAV.

If none is shown, look at the track number for the link target, the linking platform will be a few digits below that track # since the tracks a platform detects are numbered in sequence based on the detecting platform's track #.

GunnersMate
03-06-06, 07:13 PM
The source of the link should be displayed in the DDI. Look for that track on NAV.

If none is shown, look at the track number for the link target, the linking platform will be a few digits below that track # since the tracks a platform detects are numbered in sequence based on the detecting platform's track #. Forgot about that ! :oops:

Werewolf13
03-06-06, 08:32 PM
Replay mission and note any contacts within 9-12 miles of hostiles. Prolly a neutral was put on ownside by mistake.All neutrals are Side 2. All French are Side 1. US is side 0 - all verified.

Side 0 and side 1 ROE=War. Side 2 ROE=Peace.

The 747 Aircraft is a standalone and I don't remember being able to assign it's side but will check that.

I'll look at the DDI thing and see what it says. Thanks for the info guys.

Aside:

Link Data in the US navy is a sophisticated data exchange protocol. When I was in getting it to work was a major pain let alone getting data from civilian craft which was impossible. There was link 11 which was an HF ship to ship link. There was an air to ship link and one other I don't remember. In any event we didn't link with non-US naval units - ever. Has that changed? Somehow I doubt it.

LuftWolf
03-07-06, 12:28 AM
I think you might be better off assigning the neutrals as "neutral" side rather than a numbered side, but I am less familiar with the mission editor than others here. :)

Molon Labe
03-07-06, 12:32 AM
Considering the AI set to wartime ROE will attack the other sides, yeah, it's a good idea.

LuftWolf
03-07-06, 01:18 AM
Link Data in the US navy is a sophisticated data exchange protocol. When I was in getting it to work was a major pain let alone getting data from civilian craft which was impossible. There was link 11 which was an HF ship to ship link. There was an air to ship link and one other I don't remember. In any event we didn't link with non-US naval units - ever. Has that changed? Somehow I doubt it.

Well, that's the great thing about Dangerous Waters, the sim does what you tell it to do (mostly), so you are not bound by any reality other than the one you want to play in. :sunny:

Werewolf13
03-07-06, 06:46 AM
I found the problem. The Boeing 747 which I added as a stand alone aircraft was set to side 0. It was the source of the link.

I guess the link in DW represents more than just a digital data link between platforms.

GunnersMate
03-07-06, 04:10 PM
When my ship was part of STANAVFORLANT (SNFL) most ships had link. Brits and Lutgens had it (not surprising) spanish ex-Knox, not sure bout foreign pt's.

compressioncut
03-10-06, 08:34 PM
When my ship was part of STANAVFORLANT (SNFL) most ships had link. Brits and Lutgens had it (not surprising) spanish ex-Knox, not sure bout foreign pt's.

Link 11 is NATO standard as far as I know. Link 16 is being adopted by Navies closer to the US, too.