PDA

View Full Version : I almost thought this was an old Microprose title!!!

SUBMAN1
01-21-06, 07:02 PM
I was about to post - Do people still play this game? Little did I realize it is actually a DW add on!

-S

gdogghenrikson
01-21-06, 07:46 PM
lol :rotfl:

Deamon
01-22-06, 03:49 PM
I was about to post - Do people still play this game?

Yes, i still play it :)

SUBMAN1
01-24-06, 02:51 PM
I liked that old game.

-S

Mocbo
01-24-06, 07:40 PM
I use a an Amiga Emulator to play it
Makes much of Fun to engange a SAG with a Broadside of 12 Tasm..... then Features like the Listening Conditions map.

The Best in the Game is the Dynamical Campaign... No modern Game have reached thisat Time. Then i asking Why is this so...??

Greetings

Moc

tdoum
08-07-06, 04:25 PM
I too thought this was the old Red Storm Rising by MicroProse :p Yea, I use the emulator too - excellent game, even today. Ah memories...

JustinReg
08-24-06, 08:54 AM
I was about to post - Do people still play this game? Little did I realize it is actually a DW add on!

-S

i had Red Storm Rising by Microprose on my Commodore Amiga back in the day, lol i was in the navy at the time and would spend my days as AB gunner aboard HMS Ambuscade and then by night i would be the commander of a hunter killer sub.

i had all microprose's games and RSR was one of the best, i was gutted when they were sold to hasbro and run down

rman214
09-07-06, 10:37 AM
I don't know how popular it is today but I'm quite sure people are still playing it somewhere. I still have mine for my commodore 64 and almost wore out the disk flipping it over endlessly to "engage the enemy":) The manual that came with it was supurb and taught me things that were very useful in later games. Maybe someone should reproduce it, making S/C and D/W more understandable to most folks.... BTW, what ever happened to the sea lance asw missles and the swimout torpedoes??

-Pv-
10-05-06, 10:18 PM
I have the title on my Atari ST. The game had it's good points, but the mouse interface was so poor it was almost impossible to play. When a few feet from a canyon wall and it took the mouse 4 seconds to respond to a command, death was certain. I actually made it to the rondevous once.
-Pv-

SeaQueen
10-17-06, 05:48 AM
BTW, what ever happened to the sea lance asw missles and the swimout torpedoes??

Victims of the peace dividend. The Sealance as a sub-launched weapon was canceled, and the technology rolled into an updated, verticle launch version of the ASROC (VLA). The swimout torpedo tubes... I'm not sure if they got those through or not, I'll have to look into it.

Herman
10-17-06, 06:09 AM
Loved that game, as well. Did anyone every encounter the Ohio-class SSBN that the manual said you might come across?

In all the game runs I did, I never once saw her. IIRC, her sound signature was in the databank and I was curious to see what she would look / sound like up close and personal. :cool:

Snakeeyes
06-02-07, 09:34 AM
I played it on my old Tandy 1000 EX from 1990 to 1993. Put it on my laptop to college and played it until my HD fried out on an airplane. I had 4 torpedoes heading for the Kirov off Norway. I remember freaking out the weird guy next to me shooting the torps with the sound on in the plane.

XLjedi
06-27-07, 11:40 AM
Loved the MicroProse stuff...

I remember a favorite tactic of mine was to swim out my torpedos and wire guide em a safe distance away from my position then turn em toward the targets and go active. They'd launch all sorts of countermeasures and torpedos in the direction of that first active torpedo sonar... ah good times... good times. :hmm:

Snakeeyes
06-27-07, 12:04 PM
Loved that game, as well. Did anyone every encounter the Ohio-class SSBN that the manual said you might come across?

In all the game runs I did, I never once saw her. IIRC, her sound signature was in the databank and I was curious to see what she would look / sound like up close and personal. :cool:

Didn't exist. You couldn't find it... that was the trick.

Hartmann
07-10-07, 05:00 PM
I loved this game... i played a lot with my 486 :yep: and DOS

Great dinamic campaign, i sometimes was ambushed by diesel submarines, very quiet and difficult to detect. :dead:

kgsuarez
12-03-09, 01:24 AM
You can count me in as well. I play it with an Amiga emulator under Slackware Linux, all running off of my crappy old laptop. It is an incredibly fun game, once you learn all the controls and little nuances.

If RSR could be updated with modern graphics and sounds it would sell very well, I presume...

Bubblehead Nuke
12-06-09, 12:43 AM
Here is an project for a more updated RSR

http://www.microprose.nl/home.php?action=ShowRSRNews

Claims for be at 23%. I have not seem much activity lately. But there is hope

goldorak
12-06-09, 12:56 AM
Here is an project for a more updated RSR

http://www.microprose.nl/home.php?action=ShowRSRNews

Claims for be at 23%. I have not seem much activity lately. But there is hope

Its depressing when a remake uses the same kind of pixellated graphics as the old game. Really, more than 2 decades have past, no one is asking DX10-11 graphics level, but you know a smoother clearer graphics wouldn't be so bad on the eyes at all. ^_^
RSR at 1600x1200 without inch sizes pixels in my book is a win. :D

kgsuarez
12-11-09, 04:53 AM
I have looked into that remake myself and I have even been in email correspondence with the developer. It looks like a promising project and I am faithful that it will be completed at some point. But...

I don't particularly care for it, for several reasons:

1) The author won't release the source code. And, while it is his right to do whatever he wants with his code, I just think its ridiculous to put work into a project like that and release it as simply "freeware." If you are not planning on making money off of a piece of software I really think you should just release the source-code along with it. Seriously. To me, the notion of "freeware" is a hideous and detrimental notion blocking the path to technical advancement. This is just the manifestation of my ridiculous and overly pious open-source ideals, but I just can't help it. :shifty:

2) It will only run on Windows. (This is very closely related to the above rant, and is in fact a rant itself!)

3) Take a look at this screenshot (http://www.microprose.nl/images/ka/newsrsr/rsr20090123_2.png). Why are there indications next to some of the units? "Cruising?" "Crazy Ivan!?" No thank you, I'd rather deduce such information through other means. Since when is this genre about spoon-feeding us info on targets? :doh:

4) I think I like good old RSR just fine. Sure, it has shortcomings just like any other game. But overall its pretty good. And with the proper software you can run it perfectly on just about any platform these days. (Although, I do have plans to make a RSR clone someday, with all the little improvements I'd like to see.)

Okay, now I know I was a little rough. But that's just the way I feel about it.

And, as far as the graphics thing goes... It doesn't phase me either way. :har:

Dewey
11-11-10, 08:01 PM
I would be interested in this simulation also. I first played it on a 386 using a null modem cable while out on Cruise and thought it was great at the time.
But I must agree if they are going to do a remake it should be up to date or close to it for the graphics.

Dewey
Viking 707

siffert
01-01-12, 03:52 AM
I still think RSR (PC) is still the best sub game I every played and got almost all them all. Probably because I made Vice Admiral CMOH, 24,000+ ER commanding a Permit! Not only that, but my 1989 Compaq Deskpro 286e I had when I bought the sim (back in '89 it was $69.95! ) is still running like clockwork too! http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/icons/icon12.gif