PDA

View Full Version : SOSUS array in subcommand

stevemercer
01-12-06, 11:32 PM
I just installed the SCX version of Subcommand and have not figured out how to lay a SOSUS array. I probably missed the answer on the forum but any help will be most welcome. :o

DeepSixNiner
02-19-06, 11:52 AM
The SOSUS sensors aren't as useful as you might like.

A SOSUS platform in SC is basically just a non-moveable platform with a very sensitive sonar. If you are in a Russian sub, and are detected by a "blue" SOSUS sensor, it will eventually notify all other "blue" units in the scenario of your presence. Unfortunatley, it doesn't work the other way around. If you are in a "blue" sub, and a "blue" SOSUS sensor detects an enemy, there is no way, within the parameters of the mission designer, to notify you of any contacts the SOSUS sensor detects. It will inform all computer-controlled "blue" units of any detections, but it won't inform you. Because of the limitations of the scenario designer, you can't "learn" any information that is collected by a friendly SOSUS sensor.

I managed to find a solution while designing my current "Red Storm Rising" project for Sub Command. What I did was plant a few SOSUS arrays, and also a couple of allied subs, in the patrol sector. I created some goals so that, if an allied boat recieves SOSUS information about a contact, and then leaves it's assigned patrol area to engage, a message goal is triggered to inform you of the target's approximate location. To do this, I just made an approach goal, so that if an allied unit leaves it's patrol area, you get a message from SUBLANT informing you of a target's position. The drawback to this method is that you don't get the information until the friendly sub reaches the "approach goal". Sometimes, this can take awhile. If you prefer to be the only "blue" unit in the area, you can simply make all friendly units dynamic, and have them dissapear after you recieve your intelligence message.

If all of this sounds too technical, PM me, and I'd be happy to send you a test mission from my upcoming capaign which uses the SOSUS sensor in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

stevemercer
02-19-06, 12:31 PM
Thank you, and yes this method will give me a great workaround so I can script a mission using SOSUS to gather sonar intel and receive it timely. I am a firm believer in "two heads are always better than one", especially when one of them is mine, lol. Also, I played Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising on a Commodore 128 from 1987 until my Commodore just had to be sent to Davy Jones locker in 1997. I was able to find a link to a pc version but I had issues playing that one. I am glad that you are doing a campaign with Red Storm Rising and I want to play it as soon as ya'll are ready to post it for bilge rats like me, lol. Well, good hunting!