PDA

View Full Version : Event vs. Goal triggers

Miika
01-03-06, 05:44 AM
I just got quite a few triggers working again. The only change I did was to change them from event triggers to goal triggers.

Does anyone know the exact difference between these? (Apart from the fact that event triggers won't show in the debriefing summary and they can refire?)

An example: I one of my missions I have a helo flying patrol over certain area, and once it detects an AOR, the trigger should launch an air strike. It did not work, until after trying everything else I changed the trigger type from "event" to "goal". After this success I tried the same in some other previously non-working missions, and I got them all working.

(It seems that unlike in Sub Command, even if you set the points to 0, the goal trigger will show in the end, which is a bit frustrating.)

Miika :ahoy:

FERdeBOER
01-03-06, 07:52 AM
hmmm maybe is a bug... :hmm:

I will try it.

MaHuJa
01-05-06, 09:30 AM
First step is to test them for triggering, I'd say - have them do something noticable (sending the player a message, for example) and see if there's a problem with them firing or if there's something up with their effects...

Miika
01-05-06, 10:32 AM
Tried that. The exact trigger I was talking about is within the 10 new missions in Bill's site - "FF In to the Night". The Badger flies towards the convoy, and once it spots any of the AORs, an air strike is launched. I tested it without success, until I made the one change of the goal type.

I've had this problem - and the same solution - before, for instance in "FF Pirates again!" It was impossible to make the cargo ship react to the French helicopters until I changed the trigger type.

I've been wondering - it might be something like once the target comes within the range of the trigger, the event trigger will then check it the doctrine settings will be satisfied. If not, it won't allow that to happen again. (Unless the "can refire" setting is on. Which, for instance in this case, I cannot let happen.) The goal trigger, however, will constantly check until the "goal" has been satisfied.

Based on experience, I would suggest something like this...

Miika :hmm:

OKO
01-08-06, 03:26 AM
I'm sorry Miika, but what you said is just impossible.
The only difference beetwen "events" and "goals" triggers, is the fact "events" doesn't show in the mission status, and that's all.
As I use them in all my missions, I absolutly sure this is the only difference.
Why ?
because at first, I ALWAYS use goal trigger to see if they works, and when they works as designed, I change "goal" to "event" to hide the desired ones from mission status.
So there is not even a doubt there is no more difference beetween "goal" and "event" trigger than to show up on the mission status.

Miika
01-08-06, 04:44 PM
Hmm... I'm sure that's the way it supposed to be. The mission editor has, however, quite a many bugs. They have mainly remained the same since Sub Command, so when one gets familiar with its shortcomings, it is quite easy to use.

The problem with event triggers occur while using "use doctrine language" option. It may be, of course, that the problem has been with this.

Nevertheless, I got them all working now.

Thanks for the feedback, anyway.

Miika