PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Missions Please

Deathblow
12-08-05, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to encourage all the creative mission scripters out there to consider adding "dynamic" elements to your missions for replayability. :up:

Things that make missions more "replayable" like dynamic starting locations, dynamic AI platform starting locations, variable enemy types and numbers and starting platforms (controlled by probability of inclusion, dynamic location, etc iirc) all help missions to retain their "fun-factor" for longer peroids of time. :arrgh!:

Fish
12-09-05, 08:04 AM
What gives you the impression we don't do that already? ;)

Deathblow
12-09-05, 08:12 AM
*shrugs* Just something I noticed on most of the missions that are available .... really really fun to play but not very "replayable" because you already know what's out there and where it is...

I figured that anyone thinking about getting into the mission design scene should give it some thought...

FERdeBOER
12-09-05, 09:56 AM
We try, but it's a great amount of things you have to do for a mission to be dynamic because you have to check all ships to make their way and don't run aground (the AI is incredible stupid in those cases), then, you have to make sure that all the times you play the missions the ammount of ships are not too less or too much, try to predict the players behaviour (you are very imaginative! I have received mails saying that in one mission I created was possible to sink a sailboat without consecuences :dead: ) :rotfl:

And there's also the mission idea, the designer wants to make specific things, so there isn't much room for dynamics (the airport must be there).

Believe me, many of the missions you have played have dynamic things, maybe the biologics are in different places, the civilian traffic varies... :up:

TLAM Strike
12-09-05, 12:13 PM
Believe me, many of the missions you have played have dynamic things, maybe the biologics are in different places, the civilian traffic varies... :up: Nearly every mission I've made is like that at least.

Miika
12-10-05, 02:01 AM
Goes for my FF, RF and CF missions as well. In fact, I've noticed lately that due to the heavy dynamic factor in them you can play them without the LwAmi mod as well.

Miika

Deathblow
12-10-05, 05:16 PM
Well then... guess I'm preaching to the choir... so to speak.

:)

Fish
12-10-05, 06:51 PM

Deathblow, point me to one of my missions in which you can foretell the start positions?
And I admit guilty. :yep:

Deathblow
12-10-05, 09:37 PM

Deathblow, point me to one of my missions in which you can foretell the start positions?
And I admit guilty. :yep:

"Preaching to the choir" is a euphemism for "trying to convince someone of something that is already agreed upon"