PDA

View Full Version : I think I struck a friendly mine!!!

Bustoff
11-30-05, 09:17 PM
Hey folks,

This is my first post here so be gentle. :oops:

I was sneaking away from the English port of Hull at 18m going 3 kts when all of a sudden everything stops. I was in the other room at the time and I noticed that there was no longer any sound coming from my PC. I thought SHIII had locked up or crashed to desktop since it has been known to do that, but when I checked my monitor it said that my UBoat was destroyed by collision!

I racked my brain as to what I could have hit. I thought maybe I had struck bottom but at 3 kts I shouldn't have lost the boat colliding with that. So I fired up the Mission Editor and looked at the campaign scripted file. To my horror I found that there was a German (yes German) minefield layed right where I was exiting Hull!!

I feel a little cheated to be honest. There was no explosion sound, no histeria, nothing! The game went from chugging happily along to the instant death screen. Am I to lose a veteran Kaluen this undramatically??? Not a great end to a storied 10 patrol carreer.

Also wouldnt the BDU notify sub commanders of minefield locations!! I am playing dead is dead but I am considering breaking this rule since the way I died was pretty cheap. I understand that there was friendly fire incidents in WWII but I think I would have been notified of a minefield that was laid in 1939 by the end of 1940. At least the mission editor said it was laid in 1939.

Oberleutnant z. S. Bustoff

Twitchy
11-30-05, 09:29 PM
Are you sure the mine was friendly? Was it smiling? :smug:

BettingUrlife
11-30-05, 10:15 PM
There is no such thing as a 'friendly' mine :cry: