PDA

View Full Version : Commanders Academy & Dive Center - News

OneShot
11-26-05, 08:31 AM
Unfortunatly the automatic Calendar/Thread integration is still broken, so while you can use both separately, the nice feature of having an automatically created thread when you create an Event does not work at the moment (However I'm working feverishly to get it back into action). But again, both the Calendar and everything else works, so you can still post Events on the Calendar, but now you have to create your thread yourself.

Anyway, I'm happy to announce two nice additions to the CADC. One is a BugTracker that is currently set up for Bugs/Feature Requests/... for the CADC and for issues concerning Lw/Ami Mods 2.03 & 3.00BETA. To use it simply click on vBugs in the upper left corner at the Forum Navbar.

The second additions has nothing to do with Dangerous Waters at all, but is more of a sidetrack ... today one of the Coders released iBProAcrade for vB 3.5. Now what is arcade ? Well, its a frontend to play those small Flash (and whatnot) games that are available on the net. It comes with a Ranking Ladder, Tournaments can be fought and more. Right now it only comes equipped with the Default games, but I will look around and add nice ones over the time.

Alas ... thats it for now. Btw. Don't forget to keep an eye on the Tips & Tricks section. Given the new Accoustics modell, lots of "New" tactics will appear (hopefully).

Cheers
OS

JoGary(sco)
11-26-05, 02:44 PM
Keep up the good work OS. The commanders Academy Forum is now best place to pick up game play tips and loads of other stuff. :up:

OneShot
11-27-05, 12:10 PM
I will.

Some may have noticed that both OW and the CADC were unavailable during the last 24 hours. Thats due to changing of Domain Server adresses for the website. Its now available again. If you still cant visit the site, just be patient, as it takes some time till the update has happend on all Domain Servers.

OneShot
12-02-05, 01:09 PM
Whats new? Over the last days I changed a couple of things and added some others.

The Look : I changed the Postbit template, means the way the posts look. The "old hands" have prolly noticed by now. With the numerous addons I made to the board the old display started to look ugly and I took the time to clean it up, get rid of unnessesary information and in general make it look nicer. The next thing that I completed just an hour ago is the redo of the Navbar. Again it got kinda cluttered and I wanted to update it for a long time. Thats done and you will notice a lot less links. The former "Quick Links" are merged with the UserCP link and renamed "User Links". This menu covers most of the needed links you want to have handy, for example "New Posts", "UserCP", "Private Messages" and more. "User Features" covers the big addons to the Board, ie Journals, Arcade, vBugs and WorldTimes.

New Features :

- Invites: Invite your friends to the CADC. Just go to the UserCP and click on Invite, fill out Name (or nickname) and email, maybe add a note and off it goes.
- vBFavourites: Found a Post or Thread you want or need to revisit often or just want to have handy when needed. No need for subcription (which is still possible tho) anymore. Just use the Thread Tools and add the Post/Thread to your Favourites and you can access it right from the Navbar.

Note: The EventHack is still not working, but thank god another Coder is working on fixing the Hack and even improving it. To my knowledge future features will include things like Event Attendance, means when you want to participate in an Even, all you need to do is click a button and your name will be show as attending.

OneShot
12-04-05, 05:20 PM
HOOYAH !!!!

The Event System works again - finally! For those who dont know what I'm talking about, the CADC offers an integration of a Calendar and a corresponding forum. Means whenever you post in that particular Forum "Availabilities and Events Forum" (http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43) a matching Event gets created in the Calendar as well. The Coder of this fine hack has released a new version which again works on the CADC, and even better is working on improving. A much wanted feature is the ability to announce your attendance to a particular even by a simple button click.

Now what is it good for, simple - either go looking for announced Events or post your availability times yourself so people know when to catch you. Since the Events are integrated with the Forum people can post a response to your initial "Event" Thread and let you know that they will be comming, further you can post your Briefings and whatever you can imagine in response to your post or simply directly in the original one.

All you need to do to use this system is come over to the CADC, register (unless you are already registered - dont worry its free and no spam mail) and use this and all the other features available.

OneShot
12-07-05, 08:22 AM
New addition : I found a very nice hack that allows me to include Wikipedia pages in the CADC. Currently I have added the links for all of the playable plattforms and a general one for submarines. Feel free to check it out here : Wikipedia - Knowledgebase (http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)

Right now I'm using a free Link&Files Addon for vBulletin, but with this development I'm thinking hard about shelling out the 30bucks and invest in a more professional (and fully with vBulletin integrated) Link system. Hmmm gonna see how this develops.

Cheers
OS

EDIT : I bought the system, but there seems to be something broken as the images are not properly shown. Since to be on the safe side I had to deinstall the other Links&Files system, you are going to miss a couple of links on the CADC now. But dont worry its only the stuff dealing with Links - like to SubGuru and I'm working on getting the new system up to speed. Once thats done expect a hugely different and improved system in place.

OneShot
12-07-05, 05:02 PM
Ok, issues fixed - system is working.

The new system not only looks a lot neater then the old, but allows all the registered users to submit your own links. As you can see from the content (once I have put the crossover link in the CADC) I have allready added some links, but now its up to you to broaden the links base.

Open categories for user to post in are :
- Virtual Fleets
- Community

and Wikipedia - Other Links.

Virtual Fleets is for all you members out there posting a link to your Virtual Fleet. You can post as many links as you want. If there are more then 2 links for the same Fleet, like for examples a link for every Seawolves Division - then I will open up a new subfolder and move the links there so its easier for people to find things. Of course if you know you have lots of links you want to publish, let me know and I can set up an appropriate structure beforehand.

Community is dedicated to pages like SubGuru's and the Subsim pages. If you have links like that, they belong there.

Now for the Wikipedia ...
Its very easy to add a Wikipedia page to the links (which is displayed within the CADC framework).

simply use the following code and substitute Submarines

http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/vbencyclopedia.php?title=Submarines

with the right link from the Wikipedia page. For example if you want to display the English Wikipedia Main page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

you need to substitute Submarines with Main_Page and submit the following link to the Links Db

http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/vbencyclopedia.php?title=Main_Page

Take note, due to the code of the vBencyclopedia it is currently not possible to use a different Wiki then the English Wikipedia.

OneShot
12-07-05, 08:25 PM
Added some more categories and made a dropdown menu in the navbar for easier access to the most important functions. Now its up to you guys, to fill the Links directory. If you post a link you can always correct it later on if the need is there.

Further if somebody wants to lend a helping hand I could need a moderator (or maybe more) who have an eye on the links, verifying, maybe adding some of their own and stuff like that.

On a closing note, the host for the site has upped the PHP Upload limit from 2MB to 10MB which means we can finally upload the bigger guides which are currently available (and maybe in the future) and of course larger mission zip files as attachments. All you have to do, when you post a new thread with a mission for example is to scroll down before posting and click on the "manage attachments" button then you can upload the file and it will get attached to the thread.

Cheers
OS