PDA

View Full Version : TnT Vault Update ...

OneShot
10-29-05, 07:53 AM
First of all, I added the promised Calendar function. There are now 2 Calendars available on the Vault. One is for Training Events and the other one for Game Events. Registered Users are able to create new Events on both of them. When creating an Event a Thread in one of the two appropriate Forums is created with time/date in the header and of course all the information you have entered. That way you can for example post your availability on a given day, and people can respond in the thread so everybody knows who (hopefully) will be showing up.

Second I opened up a poll in the Scuttlebutt section. I have two options to go about the downloads and I would like to know which option is prefered before going on. You can vote here : http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95

Cheers

LuftWolf
10-29-05, 07:58 AM
Voted.

Go vote everyone!!! :up:

OneShot
10-29-05, 08:23 AM
I added a Plugin that shows the current active users on a TS Server. Problem is, I think its not working properly right now. So until I can fix it (and announce it here somewhere) please disregard that info.

Bellman
10-29-05, 08:37 AM
:up: Voted - and good luck to ''TnT'' ;)

OneShot
10-29-05, 09:38 AM
Problems fixed. The TnT Vault now shows correctly who is currently on the OrionWarrior TeamSpeak Server. I'm gonna make some small modifications to the system for easier use, but overall its working now.

OneShot
10-29-05, 10:45 AM
Downloads now switched over to the different "system". Means some of the old threads are gone, and instead there are some new ones. Have to play around with the attachment system some more. Works good for small files, but big ones, like most manuals just wont do. Therefore, if you have a bigger file then say 1MB - just let me know and send it to me via email. I will put it on the Webserver and give you the link, or if you want post it myself.

OneShot
10-31-05, 03:37 PM
Little Update ... while checking the vBulletin.org website I found a Plugin called Shoutbox for vBulletin. Its nothing game releated, but just a funny nonsense thing ... Enjoy.

LuftWolf
11-01-05, 10:21 PM
Ok, I want to commit myself to helping with the Tips and Tricks Vault.

We need to get some resources setup for the influx of new players on the horizon with the retail release.

I am just ruminating out loud here, so I don't want anyone to think that I'm stepping on toes, but I think we need to do the following.

1) Get Sonalysis to put stickly links on their forum for both the TnTV and the Subsim forums. They need to get over whatever hangups they have about giving official sanction to our primary homes. If we push them on this, aka post a half a b*tch-fit over the lack of support for user-created resources, I'm sure we can get them to do that. What I would really like, is to have an actual, printed insert in or on the retail box with some of the most prominant sites, with the site owners' permission of course (the TnTV, Subsim, maybe Bill's site, if he would like, etc.). They need to play up the community much more than they do.

2) We need to get at least 7-10 people from the Subsim community to be committed to posting to the TnTV or moving posts with helpful information from SubSim to the TnTV. Maybe this has already been done, and I'm just flapping in the breeze on this one. If that is the case, then I say here that I want the TnTV to succeed and I want to help.

Who else wants to do this? Let's get going on a plan. We have a month to get this flying high. :up: :rock:

And, OneShot, thank you for setting up the TnTV and maintaining it. :up: :rock:

The problem we have at the moment is delution and muddling of what forum is for what type of discussion. In my mind, I see the SCS forums as being the place for very basic questions about DW (eg. how do you use the NB? what is the Rapid Loc button for? what is a wakehoming torpedo? how do I install the patch? etc) and the TnTV would be for learning the tactical aspects of the game (how do I use the BB and NB together with my other sensors and TMA to develope situational awareness? when should I use a wakehoming torpedo verses a wireguided torpedo verses an ASM or SUBROC? what is the best way to avoid torpedoes? how do I attack a CAG with AEGIS vessels? or avoid prosecuting air platforms?) The SubSim forums I see as being the "clubhouse" or "submariner's pub", the soul of the DW community, a place where we come to swap AARs and stories, work on generating ideas for the advancement of DW and the other forums, and mod work and discussion.

We have the enthusiasm and the ability, and once we have the numbers and the blood, we can really do something special with our DW community, not that it isn't pretty darn special already. :yep: :up:

OneShot
11-02-05, 05:01 AM
Ok, I want to commit myself to helping with the Tips and Tricks Vault.Great, I always need Mods and in general people who post helpful stuff. :D

We need to get some resources setup for the influx of new players on the horizon with the retail release.The resources are IMHO all in place. We have a forum maintained and followed by the Developers, we have a LARGE community gathering place (Subsim Radio Rooms), we got a File repository for all Files relating to DW with SubGurus and we have a place to put all the helpful things we can dream up (files and written stuff) with the Vault. Not to mention other sites dedicated to plattforms or various stuff concerning DW. Problem is, we need to utilize them to their max.

1) Get Sonalysis to put stickly links on their forum for both the TnTV and the Subsim forums. They need to get over whatever hangups they have about giving official sanction to our primary homes. If we push them on this, aka post a half a b*tch-fit over the lack of support for user-created resources, I'm sure we can get them to do that. What I would really like, is to have an actual, printed insert in or on the retail box with some of the most prominant sites, with the site owners' permission of course (the TnTV, Subsim, maybe Bill's site, if he would like, etc.). They need to play up the community much more than they do.Amen to that. I hope they get around to doing that.

2) We need to get at least 7-10 people from the Subsim community to be committed to posting to the TnTV or moving posts with helpful information from SubSim to the TnTV. Maybe this has already been done, and I'm just flapping in the breeze on this one. If that is the case, then I say here that I want the TnTV to succeed and I want to help.PLEASE (with a lot of Sugar and Candy). As mentioned above I do really need help there. Along this lines I want to give a big Thank You to Molon Labe who is currently the Mod for the Sub Tips & Tricks and he has posted some great stuff and really helped a lot. Thanks Buddy.

Who else wants to do this?

And, OneShot, thank you for setting up the TnTV and maintaining it. You are welcome ;)

The problem we have at the moment is delution and muddling of what forum is for what type of discussion. In my mind, I see the SCS forums as being the place for very basic questions about DW (eg. how do you use the NB? what is the Rapid Loc button for? what is a wakehoming torpedo? how do I install the patch? etc) and the TnTV would be for learning the tactical aspects of the game (how do I use the BB and NB together with my other sensors and TMA to develope situational awareness? when should I use a wakehoming torpedo verses a wireguided torpedo verses an ASM or SUBROC? what is the best way to avoid torpedoes? how do I attack a CAG with AEGIS vessels? or avoid prosecuting air platforms?) The SubSim forums I see as being the "clubhouse" or "submariner's pub", the soul of the DW community, a place where we come to swap AARs and stories, work on generating ideas for the advancement of DW and the other forums, and mod work and discussion.Personally I think more along the these lines ... SCS Forum is mainly for Technical Support both from the Devs and the Community and of course the odd Newbie Question. TnTV is (IMHO) the all around HelpCenter Gameplay wise. If you are a Newbie and take your first steps .. go to the Vault. If you are beyond that and want to learn some better tactics and what not ... go to the TnTV. Along with Reading Material (either directly at the forum or in form of a downloadable guide) come fitting Training Missions and the ability to schedule Training Games. And lastly, if you want to hang out, swap stories talk about Mods and stuff like that - Go to the SubSim Radio Room. Of course if you need a File you visit SubGurus. If all those separate parts work together you have something thats bigger then the combination of the individual sites.

Anyway, those are my 2cents on the issue.

P.S. : Forum now updated to vBulletin 3.5.1 and I still really need people to particpate and help :hmm:

LuftWolf
11-06-05, 11:58 AM
OneShot, I just sent you a PM with my email. Let me know what you need me to help with!

I'm a fairly quick writer and I am familiar with most gameplay and modding issues, although I'd say my tactical skill and experience are only average (compared to other SubSimmers). ;)

Forum now updated to vBulletin 3.5.1 and I still really need people to particpate and help

Who else wants to be on board here? :)

Bellman
11-06-05, 12:29 PM
:sunny: I posted a couple of things recently in the 'Sub' section - Fish on the UUV and the TMA Manual Errata.
Will keep the eyes peeled for anything else that can be helpfull. If theres anything else I can do, just PM me.

OneShot
11-06-05, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. There should be a PM in your boxes ...

JoGary(sco)
11-07-05, 05:18 PM
ok, i remmeber signing up for the forum over ther but havnt checked it for a while. Sorry OneShot i feel like it takes most my time everynight just to check the forums for reoplies to my post. I wasnt wanting more work. :lol:
But after reading Luftwaffs post i relise the need for the forum over at the vault and will be checking it out and posting more often. Anthing else i can do let me know :sunny:

OneShot
11-08-05, 03:22 AM
UPDATE : Bellman had the idea of starting a forum on the Vault that is solely dedicated to questions from newbies. Since it was his idea he naturally drew the job as Mod :|\ .

Guys if you want to help, simply post the things you know, even if its just small things. Everyone here has his prefered plattform or type of plattform. Write down the things you found out over the time and put em on the Vault (in the appropriate place preferably). If you see something here at the RadioRoom or somewhere else that is helpful, why not copy & paste it at the vault or buzz the author if he would like to post his insights. Thats bascially all thats needed.

Thanks in advance ...

Bellman
11-08-05, 03:51 AM
:D Yeah I'd forgotten the first rule in the forces 'Never volunteer !'

But I'm glad OS floated this one - the idea is to give newcommers some space to float questions that
they may be reticent about exposing to a general forum.

Its success will depend on the willingness of the 'experienced' to keep an eye on this 'Ask Away' corner.

I 'know nuthin', as they say, so I'm going to need your help please.
:lol: But, I 'know where you live' and if I'm stuck for an answer, and its all quiet, I'm coming after you :yep:

OneShot
11-09-05, 08:02 AM
UPDATE : I've changed/added some minor things, and included a Journal function on the Vault. Means that all Registered Members are able to start a journal which can be public or non public and of course view public journals from others. Since this is part of the Forum Db those can be linked in regular threads, or I can add a subforum where those journals are displayed if there is a need for that. Possibilities are quite large. Aside from that I'm working to get past that little devil on my shoulder and start adding more content in the Downloads area, like Beers P-3 Training missions and so on.

MaHuJa
11-09-05, 08:48 AM
Aside from that I'm working to get past that little devil on my shoulder and start adding more content

Sounds like we're having feature overload already :)

OneShot
11-09-05, 11:17 AM
Feature Overload is relative ... :) Important is content, and thats something that can always be improved. Features like ShoutBox, Journal, and whatnot are mainly just things I stumble over and think "That would be nice to have ... ". Thats just addon stuff ... my main interest lies in gathering people and useful information in one place. Sometimes it helps to have additional features to spark interest and/or recurring visits.

OneShot
11-09-05, 06:05 PM
UPDATE : Finally something pretty useful. I stumbled over a Mod that displays the World Timezones compared to your own. Means, for the registered members over at the Vault, just pay a visit to the "Quick Links" in the Navbar. There is a new entry labeled World Times.

Oh and I'm working on changing the images on the journal to fit the style I'm using. Probably nobody (except me maybe) will ever use this function, but at least it looks good then :rotfl:

EDIT : Addition to the Navbar -> "DW Links". Currently I have the DW Homepage, SCS Forums, SubSim, SubGuru and OW listed there.

OneShot
11-10-05, 09:28 PM
While adding useful stuff ...

You can now download the available threads either as a formated .TXT file or as an even nicer PDF File including pics if in the thread. So if you find something at the Vault you really like you can now download it and print it at home. (Tho there was always the option of directly printing stuff).

Cheers

OneShot
11-14-05, 05:18 PM
Quick UPDATE : Found a nice little hack. Its called "Thank you Post". Now every post has a small button below labeled "Thanks". Whenever you think that is a useful post and you simply want to say "Thank you" for sharing, all you have to do is click this button and your name will be displayed below the bottom of the post. Of course you can't say thank you on your own posts ;)

Cheers
OS

P.S. : Visit the TnT Vault Developers Corner from time to time, to find out about more details on special functions of the Vault.

Lane
11-14-05, 06:13 PM
Voted :D

Lane :D