PDA

View Full Version : FFG countermeasures vs fish?

CptSimFreak
10-22-05, 11:13 PM
Does FFG have active or passive countermeasures against fish?

TLAM Strike
10-22-05, 11:23 PM
Other than the Nixie no.

Molon Labe
10-23-05, 12:22 AM
Every once in awhile I swear AI FFG's will drop an over-the-side CM. It freaks me out. :88)

MaHuJa
10-23-05, 03:15 AM
Playing the new demo, I followed a fish shot at the ffg with show truth on. It looked as if there was a decoy out behind him that the torpedo homed on, but it seemed to move with the ship, so that was probably just the nixie now shown or something.

LuftWolf
10-23-05, 03:16 AM
Yes, that is the Nixie. It is shown as a separate object dragged behind the ship with "show truth" on.

Mau
10-23-05, 07:26 AM
But yes we should have CM onboard FFG like in RL.
It is a bit unfair that they don't, don't you think?

That was actuallly a question I was asking to myself some times ago

Fish
10-23-05, 08:43 AM

Why should she have any thing against me? :roll:

Tgio
10-23-05, 08:53 AM

Why should she have any thing against me? :roll:
:rotfl: :rotfl:

SeaQueen
10-23-05, 10:53 AM

They have NIXIE and a great big turbine engine. Speed is probably your best defense against torpedos.

CptSimFreak
10-23-05, 11:00 AM
But yes we should have CM onboard FFG like in RL.
It is a bit unfair that they don't, don't you think?

That was actuallly a question I was asking to myself some times ago

That’s the reason for my subdued question. If it does have countermeasures IRL, why does it not have in DW?

It’s just a bit hard to run away from a fish going 55 while FFG can only do 29. Nixie is almost useless as no nixie :dead:

CptSimFreak
10-23-05, 11:07 AM

Why should she have any thing against me? :roll: Because your actions are always hostile towards me. :P

LuftWolf
10-23-05, 11:22 AM
No over-the-side CM's on American surface ships in Real Life.

US warships rely on the NIXIE for torpedo defense. Note: this is not effective against wakehoming torpedos. Your best defense against wakehomers is evasion and/or slowing down at the right time.

DivingWind
10-23-05, 11:57 AM
Every once in awhile I swear AI FFG's will drop an over-the-side CM.Believe it or not,AI drops bouy to evade torps!

LuftWolf
10-23-05, 12:02 PM
Believe it or not,AI drops bouy to evade torps!

The doctrines don't suggest that this would be happening.

It's probably dropping the buoy for some reason other than trying to spoof the torpedo.

This is another aspect of AI behavior that seems to be hardcoded, as I can't find the doctrine that controls buoy dropping for surface platforms either, so the secret is locked somewhere in the engine.

Maybe it's dropping the buoy so it can track the torpedo during high speed evasion? That's actually not a bad tactic to employ on the human-controlled FFG. :hmm:

Mau
10-23-05, 01:34 PM
..Yes that is actually what is really happenening.
Hearing torpedo in the water, drop a sonobuoy to know where it is so then you know where to turn.

And, I am pretty sure the US have and use as well off board CM like we are using in our navy

LuftWolf
10-23-05, 01:59 PM
And, I am pretty sure the US have and use as well off board CM like we are using in our navy

Sorry, I've found no evidence of this being the case, unless the crew keeps them in a secret compartment and throws them over the side without a launcher. ;)

Molon Labe
10-23-05, 04:11 PM
..Yes that is actually what is really happenening.
Hearing torpedo in the water, drop a sonobuoy to know where it is so then you know where to turn.

I don't think this "buoy" is turning up on the replays/truth. But neither is a CM. But you definitely see whatever it is in 3D, and when the torp reaches it, it dissapears.