PDA

View Full Version : Ship Weak Spots and manual targeting...

Rubini
10-18-05, 08:34 PM
I'm learning about manual targeting and i notice that the Ship Weak Spots on the recognition manual are no more show now. This is true or i'm missing something? :hmm:

Rubini.

Marhkimov
10-18-05, 08:39 PM
It's true.

Manual targeting removes the little aim boxes. It is probably assumed that at this point in the game, you have already figured out where all of the weak-spots are...

Average Joe
10-18-05, 09:51 PM
I noticed this too, after enabling manual-targetting (but still with Weapon-Officer Assistance).

After lots of patrols I still want to see the 'sweet-spots' in the recognition manual, and use "Augies Merchant Vulnerability Mod", which also shows renown values.

The mod file is about 10mb, filename is:

fullvulnmod.zip

Rubini
10-18-05, 10:08 PM
marhkimov,
Average Joe,

-Is't really possible to aim correctly at that weak points without "see" them and without the AI help?
-Is't possible to mod this feature to make these "nice" ship weak spots appears even with "manual targeting" checked?
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Rubini.

Marhkimov
10-18-05, 10:18 PM
-Is't really possible to aim correctly at that weak points without "see" them and without the AI help?

Yes. It is very possible. I use manual targeting and I am hitting ships just fine. I usually take a wild guess that the engine room is directly underneath the boiler, and that the fuel tanks are either in front of or behind the engine room... But hey, that's just a wild guess... ;)

-Is't possible to mod this feature to make these "nice" ship weak spots appears even with "manual targeting" checked?

Depends if you are talking about a simple TGA edit, or editing some CFG files.

We could probably do both. And as Average Joe already stated, a 'TGA' mod has already been released. The only downside is that its pages are not darkened, and is therefore incompatible with RUb and most other mods...

Rubini
10-18-05, 10:25 PM
I mean cfg files. If only mod TGAs (I already see this mod) don't really enable the feature I think that it's almost useless.

And about my other question - is't really possible to aim correctly at these weak points without the AI help?

Rubini.

Marhkimov
10-18-05, 10:40 PM
I bet we could alter the boxes to show up, but the only problem is that we don't know where the "switch" is located? Could it be menu_1024_768.ini? Probably not, but it's worth a look.

As of now, I don't use any weak spot guide, but if you could mod it so that it happens, I am 100% sure that I would use it! :D

And no, it is not always possible to aim correctly at these weak spots without the AI help.

In the end, what it really comes down to is this:
-how good of a sniper/mathematician/perfectionist you are.
-the distance between you and the target.
-if the target is turning or taking evasive actions.

With or without a weak spot guide, you may or may not be able to hit your intended target...

...But it is possible :D

Rubini
10-18-05, 10:48 PM
Thanks marhkimov,

I will take a look on this issue. I will post my finds later... :hmm:

Rubini.

Rubini
10-19-05, 10:24 AM
I have tried some modifications on the menu_1024_768.ini and in others .cfg files but don find any real solution. This feature is probably hard coded and trigger dependant. :down:

It's a shame. I like this feature, it's a nice touch for the game... :cry:

Rubini.

Der Teddy Bar
10-19-05, 07:33 PM
And no, it is not always possible to aim correctly at these weak spots without the AI help.
Actually it is very easy. One needs to use the manual TDC on full maual, that is, check the button at the bottom so as to bypass the notepad. Now to make any changes besides the relevant bearing and AOB you need to do it in the torpedo screen. By doing this you are now free to aim at the spot that you want.

I also can take multiple shots at multiple ships within seconds of each other.

Rubini
10-19-05, 08:27 PM
Thanks Der Teddy Bar,

It's very good to know that is possible (i understand that is only a matter of training). I will try it!. :up:

Rubini.

Marhkimov
10-19-05, 08:48 PM
Well, I meant that you could still mess up. You never know; there are always a lot of possibilities. The more experience you have, however, the less likely you will miss what you are aiming for.

Is that better? :roll:

HEMISENT
10-20-05, 08:05 AM
Hi Rubini, I have been using the vulnerability mod from the beginning and it works great. Using full manual targeting it is very possible to target an exact spot on a ship. The closer to 90 deg you get is better of course.
And if you can keep the distance below 1500 m helps also. Long distance is kind of hit or miss.
As in real life there are a lot of variables but all things considered it works pretty well.

:lurk:

Rubini
10-20-05, 09:21 AM
HEMISENT,

The vulnerability mod just add a "tga" for orientation purposes on the rec manual, right? Or it also add some automatic targeting to the ship weak spots?
And another question, the vulnerability mod shows these boxes in color. Do you know if are another mod with these boxes in grey?
(PS:Any news on air stuff?)

Rubini.

HEMISENT
10-20-05, 02:16 PM
Hi Rubini
As far as I know its only changed the recognition manual tga showing different colored vulnerable areas. I've never run into anything other than that. I believe its strictly used for an aiming point.
Try it on the single ship tutorial mission. My guess is once you get used to it you'll like it.
Re: the airpower issue i sent you a pm just a bit ago. no luck-problem still the same but I'm trying something so will advise in a little while.

thanks