PDA

View Full Version : Bad_weather_guns ???

Panama Red
10-14-05, 11:43 AM
I have down loaded the bad_weather_guns mod, but there is no Readme included. Could some one please tell me what this mod does ???

Thanks

rulle34
10-14-05, 11:56 AM
It makes it possible to man deck gun and AA guns at winds>5 m/s.

This is easy to mod yourself.
Open your NSS_UboatXX.cfg file (with notepad or another texteditor) (data\Submarine\NSS_Uboatxx\NSS_UboatXX.cfg) and change the value for "stormconditions" to the value you prefer. The side effect is that this value also control when crew change clothes to soutwest-caps and oilskins.

Panama Red
10-14-05, 12:02 PM
Thanks, I think it would be easier to change it my self than use this mod.

rulle34
10-14-05, 12:03 PM
Yes! Absloutely :up:

Another thing, while you are there in that file, change the "SurfaceDepth=" to something higher, I use 8.8 so you can run with your decks awash. Crew still on deck while running deeper with your sub, but still surfaced. Makes divetime faster.
:up:

Gizzmoe
10-14-05, 12:20 PM
I have down loaded the bad_weather_guns mod, but there is no Readme included. Could some one please tell me what this mod does ???

Sorry, I thought I had included a readme. Unpack the archive to sh3\data\submarine and overwrite all files. Make a backup first. It also includes the "decks awash" feature that rulle34 has mentioned.

Panama Red
10-14-05, 12:37 PM
Gizzmoe:
What value did you set for your stormconditions ???

Gizzmoe
10-14-05, 12:41 PM
Set it to

StormConditions=15,1

Then you can use them in any weather condition.

Panama Red
10-14-05, 01:02 PM
Thank you.

gouldjg
10-14-05, 01:10 PM
I have just been testing a theory where you could have the ability to use guns in any bad weather but get a higher fatigue penalty.

To me it is like this.

I should choose if I should engage aircraft or not in any weather condition. The concequences of my choice in bad weather will take its toll on my men however.

Same for deck gun but even higher.

I am almost ready to release these changes along with a 24 hr crew system.

Gizzmoe
10-14-05, 01:11 PM
Sounds good!

BipBip
10-14-05, 03:14 PM
Running decks awash sounds good, but was it possible ? On the diesel, I mean.

Where are the diesel air intakes located on type II, VII and IX ?

About the storm, It would have be nice to be able to set 2 windspeeds for main gun and AA guns. Waves can go over the deck without being dangerous for the seamen who man the AA guns...

rulle34
10-14-05, 05:23 PM

It was used in reality. And often used when quick dive was needed
Intakes for diesels could probably just come from the open conningtower. It was mesnion in a book that it was a big draft into the dieselcompartment if not the door was closed.

About the storm, It would have be nice to be able to set 2 windspeeds for main gun and AA guns. Waves can go over the deck without being dangerous for the seamen who man the AA guns...

I agree to that. But this has been discussed before and I think it was not possible to to that.

Pablo
10-14-05, 06:15 PM

According to David Westwood's The Type VII U-boat the diesel air intake and exhaust on the Type VII U-boat are inside the aft casing of the conning tower, with the top just below the grating where the watch crew is standing/ The air intake and exhaust are above water unless water is over the feet of the folks on watch in the conning tower.

On the Type VIIB you would find them almost directly underneath an aft-facing 20mm AA gunner, while on boats with a wintergarten you would find it underneath the AA gun closest to the attack periscope.

I believe there's a mechanism in place to stop water being ingested during heavy seas.

Pablo

Excalibur Bane
10-14-05, 06:39 PM

I tried this for awhile, but quickly got sick of my deckgun wild firing all over the place from the waves. You can't hit the broadside of a barn with the deckgun in a rough sea. :(

Be nice if the mod came with something to boost the stability of the gun so it's actually useable, but we can't have everything in life, can we? :-?

Kpt. Lehmann
10-14-05, 06:59 PM

I tried this for awhile, but quickly got sick of my deckgun wild firing all over the place from the waves. You can't hit the broadside of a barn with the deckgun in a rough sea. :(

Be nice if the mod came with something to boost the stability of the gun so it's actually useable, but we can't have everything in life, can we? :-?

;) Some of us would like to undo its current level of stability as well but have run into all sorts of probs in attempting to do so.

Col7777
10-15-05, 12:22 AM
I think we need to adjust it IF POSSIBLE so the deck gun can be fired in a slightly rougher sea than calm but if the sea got too rough then it isn't possible.
I'm sure some of you have been in a situation were the sea wasn't that bad but you were unable to use the deck gun, it is a bit frustrating to have then maneuver to a torpedo firing position where if using the deck gun could have saved you a torpedo and time.

Kpt. Lehmann
10-15-05, 12:53 AM
I think we need to adjust it IF POSSIBLE so the deck gun can be fired in a slightly rougher sea than calm but if the sea got too rough then it isn't possible.

Exactly what I am after for my own boat. :yep:

Spike
10-15-05, 06:15 AM
Use your guns in any weather!!! (Patch 1.4) http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38900