PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlobby Questions... (NOTE: large image imbedded)

N00be
10-12-05, 11:38 PM
Heya

I use Hyperlobby to finde people to play with (unfortunatelly not very successful).

Hyperlobby switches you to "away mode" after a while of inactivity, and after another while it disconnects you, and that is really a bad thing.
DW isnt the most popular game, and I often have to wait a long time before someone joins the DW hyperlobby channel.
I wonder what the hyperlobby-coder expects us to do when there is no one around. Talk to myself? Its common sense, that you dont stare at the lobby all the time, but instead do something else, with the hyperlobby window beeing in the background.
Now 2 main problems:
1.When someone joins, I dont get a notification. A sound would be enough. If the other guy could make my hyperlobby software notify me that would also be a good start.
2. I get disconnected after a while, and often I dont see it, and when I switch back to hyperlobby people might have joined, and left again, because they thought nobody is there looking for a game.

I dont know who to adress, but maybe somebody here knows the hyperlobby guys (Jamie?) and could ask them to improve it, or tell us how to do it.

I know this game is not a mainstream product, but its really frustrating sometimes.

cheers

Beer
10-12-05, 11:41 PM
Hyperlobby is the creation of Jiri. The link to his site is on the hyperlobby interface.

Jiri is a IL2 fan, which often times has over 100 people coming and going. I would guess he does not want to listen to cues announcing people coming and going with lobby numbers up that high.

I would suggest you post on the hyperlobby message boards under request and see what he says.

I also think he has the away mode and the auto-disconnect so that bandwidth is not wasted on someone surfing and not paying attention to the lobby.

Cheers
Beer

MaHuJa
10-13-05, 05:29 AM
I'd suggest people go back to the irc channel for now - you can have all those things in most every irc client of your choosing.

irc://irc.quakenet.org/Dangerous-Waters

or for the url-impaired irc clients,

server: irc.quakenet.org
channel: #Dangerous-Waters
(note the '-')

When I want a game, I'm usually connected there, a bit more consistently than to hyperlobby for the reasons mentioned in the post above.

Jamie
10-13-05, 11:11 AM
I've exchanged emails with Jiri numerous times and he's always been a pleasure to work with. He really loves the sim community and is always open to suggestions and feature requests (in my experience, of course). Given he doesn't charge a penny for his efforts, I think Hyperlobby (http://www.hyperfighter.sk) is an amazing accomplishment.

Of course, DW will probably never be as popular as many of the more MP-centric flight sims, but hopefully it will gain some popularity with the retail release and the MP community will grow as well.

We are adding Gamespy Arcade support to v1.02 and the DW Retail build, so hopefully that will infuse some additional players as well. Hopefully Gamespy's audience will complement Hyperlobby (http://www.hyperfighter.sk) very well and cover some additional player demographics that could possibly help grow the community...

http://dw.sonalysts.net/forum_img/DW_Gamespy.gif

Shock Troop
10-13-05, 04:14 PM
I've tried to play on HL many times but there's never anyone in there.

Not mainstream? Well, mabye not as popular as an FPS but they definately have a market.

I've never really understood why sub sims aren't more popular. Is it because they require skill and tactics instead of just fast button pushing? I think sub sims offer more of a challenge and they truly prove which player is more skilled.

darksythe
10-13-05, 05:41 PM
well in order to find a game on HL youve pretty much got to set it up before hand here on the boards...

Shock Troop
10-13-05, 06:36 PM
That kind of defeats the purpose of a lobby doesn't it?

I could just as well setup a game and then post my IP here, cutting the lobby out of it completely. Even more, if I had a dynamic IP, I could setup a free DYNDNS account, post my DNS and keep hosting.

I like to go into a lobby and just jump into a game.

goldorak
10-13-05, 11:51 PM

I could just as well setup a game and then post my IP here, cutting the lobby out of it completely. Even more, if I had a dynamic IP, I could setup a free DYNDNS account, post my DNS and keep hosting.

It sure does, but since most virtual navies don't use hyperlobby and even if they do the game most of the time is reserved to members of that particular virtual navy your only alternative is to enlist in one of them if you want to enjoy multyiplayer.

darksythe
10-14-05, 05:56 AM

Compared to sub command its much easier to find multiplayer games nows.

Naval warfare simming by essence requires patience I suggest you practice this.

Fish
10-14-05, 06:01 AM
I've tried to play on HL many times but there's never anyone in there.

Not mainstream? Well, mabye not as popular as an FPS but they definately have a market.

I've never really understood why sub sims aren't more popular. Is it because they require skill and tactics instead of just fast button pushing? I think sub sims offer more of a challenge and they truly prove which player is more skilled.

Ever consider yourself of joining a virtual fleet? No problem to find a dive then.

XabbaRus
10-14-05, 06:59 AM
Yea I could never figure out why less and less people have been using hyperlobby.

I used to but then went a few times and found no one.

Considering that there are a few virtual fleets it is a shame they don't use HL. Lot easier to setup a match. You can lock people out if it is a stat game and it means occasional gamers could take part too.

I think the fleets should look into using HL more.

If more people went to HL then you wouldn't have to muck about with ICQ.

Fish
10-14-05, 07:13 AM
Hi Xabba, what is better in HL compared with ICQ? We use that from the beginning (1997). I have HL, and have a look there now and then, not much activity there.

PS: I think most there use the LWAMI mod, we don't, yet.

XabbaRus
10-14-05, 07:30 AM
Well HL just makes it easier.

You set to host a game, send everyone your IP via a little button there, and then hit play and everyone elses game launches.

They don't have to manually enter the IP, or shouldn't have to.

It also allows a bunch of people to turn up and join a game.

Basically a nice centralised lobby. I remember during SC days that there were quite a few calls for a hyper lobby type thing especially after EA shutdown their lobby.

People also asked the same of DW, so HL was incorporated and now hardly anyone uses it.

HL does make things simpler.

Shock Troop
10-14-05, 07:40 AM
HL is better than gamespy and Ubi's lobby for two reasons; simplicity and cost.

Gamespy and Ubi software blows up on me all the time and it's too bulky.

Ever consider yourself of joining a virtual fleet? No problem to find a dive then.

With the amount of time I could dedicate to a fleet, I'd be a poor excuse for member. I'd love to jump into some dives. I just wouldn't be reliable. When I do play a game, it's usually because I need a quick break. I'm no longer the powergamer I used to because of other responsibilities.

Are there a lot of fleets?