PDA

View Full Version : Helo is Down

PukingDog
10-08-05, 09:45 PM
This has happened a few times to me now. When operating the OHP, I recovered the helo and put it in the hanger. When I went to relaunch it later, the helo status was "Down". What is the deal with that? Using ownship torpedos against submerged threats is a dangerous way to go.
P.S. I found that an easy way to score a kill against AI subs with OHP no helo active, if you don't mind wasting a few weapons. Launch torp down target bearing, even well beyond torps range. After launch, Flank speed behind the torp. The sub will be busy running from torp, and gives you a chance to close. When torp runs out of gas, give em a hard ping and repeat the process. I don't know why the AI don't fire a snapshot down your torp bearing, that's what would seem logical, but I have used this several times with success.

SeaQueen
10-09-05, 06:31 AM
This has happened a few times to me now. When operating the OHP, I recovered the helo and put it in the hanger. When I went to relaunch it later, the helo status was "Down". What is the deal with that?

What was the sea state?

PukingDog
10-09-05, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure what the wind velocities were exactly, but the first time the seas were calm, the second time it happened the seas were kind of rough. Is there a limit to pitch/roll where flight ops get shut down? I never thought about the sea state, I thought maybe it was some kind of mechanical difficulty. Guess I need to pay more attention on the bridge when trying to launch. Thanks for advice, I will check and see if those are the reasons if it comes up again.

TLAM Strike
10-09-05, 01:01 PM
There is no limit for helo ops but the helo may have crashed on landing.

SeaQueen
10-10-05, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure what the wind velocities were exactly, but the first time the seas were calm, the second time it happened the seas were kind of rough. Is there a limit to pitch/roll where flight ops get shut down? I never thought about the sea state, I thought maybe it was some kind of mechanical difficulty. Guess I need to pay more attention on the bridge when trying to launch. Thanks for advice, I will check and see if those are the reasons if it comes up again.

I've had the same thing happen you've described. I managed to control the problem by chosing a course during helo ops to minimize the pitching and rolling of the ship.

Helo ops don't get shut down, but your helo can crash, so they become increasingly dangerous.

I've also suspected that a helo can be washed overboard too, although I've never witnessed it. I start getting nervous when I see the flight deck awash. It's not a good thing to just leave a helo sitting around the deck on alert 15 during high seas.