PDA

View Full Version : Patch update (FYI)...

Jamie
10-08-05, 09:29 AM
Posted this on the SCS forums (http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=160#160)... Just wanted to share it with you guys:

The BETA testers have the v1.02 version of the DW Demo (which is going to re-released to correct many of the crashes and issues in the v1.00 build along with the "Screen flicker" bug).

Then we will be releasing the v1.02 Patch to the BETA testers once the Gamespy support has been added and tested here at SCS (I am in discussions with Gamespy's Technical Support at the moment, having some problem with their DW testing/staging area - so I'm doing my best to get that finalized).

ETA on the patch... as soon as Gamespy figures out what is going on with our staging area, so then we can make a build for the testers, and after the BETA testers sign off on it we can release it.

So, again - I'm not sure how long that will take. But that's EVERYTHING I know, I promise. :P

DivingWind
10-08-05, 09:48 AM
Sounds really promising!

Amizaur
10-08-05, 11:27 AM
And I can tell you that the new demo works great, many bugs are fixed including the most fundamental active sonar bug and that cheating Kilo BB sonar interface bug, and also one thing I'm personally very happy with - sub acceleration seems to be more realistic from first dives :up:
Will test it more throughly from Monday, now it's rather buzy weekend here :)

Fish
10-08-05, 06:30 PM
And I can tell you that the new demo works great, many bugs are fixed including the most fundamental active sonar bug and that cheating Kilo BB sonar interface bug, and also one thing I'm personally very happy with - sub acceleration seems to be more realistic from first dives :up:
Will test it more throughly from Monday, now it's rather buzy weekend here :)

I am afraid your just to quick with haleluja. :shifty:

http://home.hccnet.nl/wico.p/Demo%20bug1.JPG

OneShot
10-08-05, 06:53 PM
I hope along the way with the Kilo they fixed the Helo Dipping Sonar as well ...

Driftwood
10-08-05, 07:01 PM
PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE MK 48'S!!!! :rock:

Syxx_Killer
10-08-05, 08:48 PM
Awesome! Look forward to the patch! :rock:

Fandango
10-10-05, 08:48 AM
Will the patch include the "private" mods that are available at SUBGURU?...

10-10-05, 10:14 AM
I hope you guys will do that, this will save yourself tons of time and will surely pump up the simulation level.

It's good to hear that the next patch in underway, let it be a good one so we don't have to wait for another half year ;)

Amizaur
10-10-05, 11:22 AM
I am afraid your just to quick with haleluja. :shifty:

What do you mean ?

Yes it's still not perfect, I have some comments and will express them soon at beta forum. The sound bug is gone, you don't hear elevated noise at target's bearing, but the possibility to mark a contact by clicking on it's bearing is still there, this have to be fixed too. You just have to click on all the bearings in demo. I guess that's why it's a beta yet :)
Also it's really hard to test sonar model in demo (not possible to test different platforms in custom test scenarios, and not possible to save/load the game) so I wait for beta of 1.02 patch with this.

Fandango
10-10-05, 01:58 PM
I hope you guys will do that, this will save yourself tons of time and will surely pump up the simulation level.

Well, they only have to include the modified doctrine files in the patch...I don't think it'll take much... ;)

Amizaur
10-10-05, 02:49 PM
I think I don't reveal any secret if I say that the new demo includes only game engine/interface changes, doctrines are unchanged at all so for example SUBROC range and mobile mine bug are still to be solved.
[edit: but it's still only BETA ! :)]

I think it is important to fix them for demo because a potential player can try to fully exploit demo potential and try to launch few SS-N-15s or set a minefield ahead of the convoy, and then.. surprise, that doesn't work :down:

Fortunately :) those fixes are most simple of all, much easier than game engine issues, it takes 20 minutes to fix doctrines utilising my solutions or maybe few hours to develop own from scratch. [edit: So they can fix it even day before relase]

I can say that I have absolutely nothing against using my doctrine fixes by Sonalysts, I made them to improve the game and I renounce my copyright laws to them, they can use them freely. Or buy them from me at a price of $1 for everything ;) I can put them on eBay or something ;)

Fish
10-10-05, 03:06 PM
I think I don't reveal any secret if I say that the new demo includes only game engine/interface changes, doctrines are unchanged at all so for example SUBROC range and mobile mine bug are still unsolved. And I think it is important to fix them for demo because a potential player can try to fully exploit demo potential and try to launch few SS-N-15s or set a minefield ahead of the convoy, and then.. surprise, that doesn't work :down: Fortunately those fixes are most simple of all, much easier than game engine issues, it takes 20 minutes to fix doctrines utilising my solutions or maybe few hours to develop own from scratch.

I can say that I have absolutely nothing against using my doctrine fixes by Sonalysts, I made them to improve the game and I renounce my copyright laws to them, they can use them freely. Or buy them from me at a price of $1 for everything ;) I can put them on eBay or something ;)

Most importand is they fix the bugs guys like you cant fix in a mod 'don't you think Amizaur?
Left some playing field for the modders. :)

Amizaur
10-10-05, 03:39 PM
Of course that game engine issues are much more important ! I thought I mentined that. But don't you think that doctrines should be fixed too, ESPECIALLY in demo, to make SUBROCs and MM working ?
I don't think many potential players would mod the demo with 3th party doctrines before trying, it have to be included in the package.
I only said that FORTUNATELY it's much simpler than game engine fixes, personally I see no problem at all in fixing them in the last moment, but would be wiser to get them well tested before relasing demo. That's why I think that most simple and least time consuming things should be fixed first. Fixing doctrines first would delay game engine fixes - by few hours... ;)

Anyway overall I'm veary pleased with new demo, I said it works great. There are still some things to improve (like finishing off Kilo sonar bug or fixing doctrines) but I'm optimistic that this will be done.

Only if it comes to patching priorities...

IMO for full game patch, fixing Kilo sonar bug tho the very end is very important. Fixing doctrines - not neccesarily, because as you said modders can do that.

But for relase of new demo fixing doctrines IMO have to be made for obvious reasons. Fixing the Kilo sonar bug of "clicking-every-bearing-and-get-track" IMO not neccesarily - I don't thing anyone would notice it at all, and even then not much possibilities to exploit in SP demo.

This is what I meaned, I'm sorry if I expressed it wrong way first and it seemed that I'm simply complaining that doctrines are not fixed in demo.

Pigfish
10-10-05, 03:50 PM
:hmm: Im new as a beta tester but I was under the impression that "moms the word" when discussing the new patch. Shouldnt this discussion be in the beta forum? :lol:

Amizaur
10-10-05, 04:22 PM
Well you are right, it should be... Just wanted to say that it works great, then somone doubted it, somone else asked about doctrines, I repeated maybe saying too much, then tried to explain what I meaned and so it gone... I will be more carefull in the future :oops: I'm moving there.

LuftWolf
10-10-05, 04:25 PM
Well, I think it is fairly clear from the v1.0 release that it is the policy of SCS to put their understandably limited resources into improving the game engine itself, which only they can do, and leave the Database and Doctrines to the modders.

This has not be explicetly stated but it is clear enough, IMHO.

So I'm not sure its giving anything away to say that, in my opinion, I don't think Database and Doctrine changes are going to be included in this or any subsequent patch, at least that's how I read the situation, unofficially of course.

Ramius
10-10-05, 04:47 PM
:hmm: Im new as a beta tester but I was under the impression that "moms the word" when discussing the new patch. Shouldnt this discussion be in the beta forum? :lol:

Exactly right.

To be honest, any new testers shouldn't even admit they are :shifty:

And as for some people saying this and that have been fixed/ not fixed :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope:
Gather you didn't have to sign a NDA then :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Fish
10-10-05, 05:42 PM

Exactly right.

To be honest, any new testers should even admit they are :shifty:

And as for some people saying this and that have been fixed/ not fixed :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope:
Gather you didn't have to sign a NDA then :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Your absolutely right Ramius. :oops:

Amizaur
10-10-05, 07:44 PM
Yes, I'm guilty :oops: Lesson learned.

Pigfish
10-11-05, 12:43 AM

There was no 'shifty'ness intended. In hindsight I should have reworded it, but I think I got my point across. I stand guilty of typing to fast.

But thanks for pointing it out. :roll:

Fandango
10-11-05, 04:00 AM

Well, at least we'll have somebody "identified" we can blame for future bugs... :ping:

Amizaur
10-11-05, 02:27 PM
:P

Jamie
10-12-05, 09:03 AM
Partially my fault as all of the new testers were not given NDA's... I didn't think it was necessary - but apparently I underestimated the "educational" value of actually reading the document in addition to the binding signature that it's primarily intended to obtain.

I will send out an e-mail to all of the testers to make sure that we're all on the same page. Amizaur and Pigfish, I know you both had no bad intentions, so no harm done at all. :cool:

Driftwood
10-12-05, 10:45 AM
I believe the correct phrase is "mums the word." But since "mum" in the UK is the same as "mom" in the US it doesn't matter.... :know:

Pigfish
10-12-05, 11:27 PM
I believe the correct phrase is "mums the word." But since "mum" in the UK is the same as "mom" in the US it doesn't matter.... :know:

Hee Hee I knew that. Again typing to fast. :oops:

Here in Canada its always spelled 'mom' but the saying itself, when said vocal, is attempted to be pronounced 'mum'. Usually a pathetic attempt at a British accent on our behalf. :oops:

But thats nothing. I have a good friend from England and we like to try to get him to say the words 'porpoise' or 'tortoise'. Of coarse he never will anymore because the first time he said them, and any time since, has become a bit of humor to us true English speaking Canadians. :lol: We couldnt understand what he was saying.

Same like the word "bear." Like in polar bear. Which we pronounce like "bare" naked. He still likes to pronounce it like 'burr'. Which Rhymes with her. We will get him trained in correct English yet.

So to him a porpoise, a tortoise and a bear are:
"A poy-puss, a toy- tuss and a burr."

:rotfl:

Driftwood
10-13-05, 06:02 AM
So to him a porpoise, a tortoise and a bear are:
"A poy-puss, a toy- tuss and a burr."

:rotfl:

:rotfl: I love it! :rotfl:

Fandango
10-17-05, 12:42 PM
But the question still remains: will the "private" mods be included in the patch?... :hmm:

LuftWolf
10-17-05, 01:09 PM
No, the Mod projects are entirely separate from the SCS release.

Sorry.

Fandango
10-17-05, 01:46 PM
No, the Mod projects are entirely separate from the SCS release.

Sorry.

So, I assume that will only deal with stabilty issues, right?...

LuftWolf
10-17-05, 02:02 PM
Whatever Jamie has posted plus maybe a couple things more.

Whoever really knows isn't at liberty to say at the moment. ;)