PDA

View Full Version : status of battlefront verisons of DW?

Hellcat
09-29-05, 09:58 AM
On the front page there is a link to a post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000210

Which indicates that SCS and Battlefront have ended their business agreement. In which case are we the only people who had the opportunity to obtain the 500page manual? I'm assuming that support will continue for the verison DW that we purchased as well... Anyways what are your guys thoughts on the topic, I really dont see it as a long term issue.

Ghost Dog
09-29-05, 10:37 AM
my guess is, of course support will continue and retail versions will only have .pdf manuals.

packaging and shipping weight are considerations when you go retail since youre not relying on direct customer purchases. (who can pay thier own shipping for the manual, as alot of us did)

SteamWake
09-29-05, 10:49 AM
Read the entire article.

They discuss things such as support, and warranty issues.

Dident Sonolyst recently sign up to vend there product through more traditional channels ?

Jamie
09-29-05, 04:38 PM
The end of our deal with Battlefront (www.battlefront.com)was just an unfortunate situation that should NOT reflect poorly on Battlefront in any way (nor would I think that I anyone would perceive it that way).

We enlisted the services of Battlefront primarily for their success in the on-line direct sales arena. Battlefront had really pioneered this form of distribution on a larger scale than most niche mail-order product lines had ever been able to achieve. Their Combat Mission series has been a success by any measure and we felt that it was a very strong collaboration and a worthy experiment. We anticipated that it would take time to sell via direct mail order instead of the retail shelves, but the plan was that the retail phase would be well after the initial launch and that we would give it plenty of time to perform in direct sales first. However, we also agreed that if either party was unhappy (for any reason) they could terminate the agreement and we could seek alternate methods of distribution. In our case, we were not unhappy with Battlefront in any way, they are an excellent group of entrepeneurs that really have a distinct vision for where their business is going. However, for whatever reason, DW did not perform the way that we both had initially envisioned and we had to seek alternate means of recouping our (Sonalysts') investment.

That's really all there is to it. No conspiracy theories, no back-stabbing, no drama... We are just trying to keep DW rolling the best that we can, and we hope that we are doing that with this decision.

Charles, Steve, Martin, Matt, Dan, and Fernando are truly an excellent group of guys at Battlefront and we wish them the very best with CMx2 and beyond (I know that I certainly can't wait to play CMx2, the next game in the series! :))

Jamie
09-29-05, 04:42 PM
In which case are we the only people who had the opportunity to obtain the 500page manual?

We are going to sell it separately, probably. But yes, I'm doubtful that it will ever grace the store shelves (too heavy, and too expensive to produce to maintain any sort of profit margin).

I'm assuming that support will continue for the verison DW that we purchased as well...

Of course! The "DW Retail" version will be v1.02 and will be EXACTLY the same as the v1.02 version you have when the patch is released and you install it over DW v1.01.

Hellcat
09-29-05, 04:50 PM
Thank you for the explanation Jamie, I have purchased several Battlefront products over the years as well as sonalyst and wish the best for both of them.

Justin Prince
09-29-05, 10:12 PM
whew.... Hadn't had the chance to pick up DW yet, and I saw that announcement and thought I wouldn't be able to buy it.... Hope there is still a copy available when I can scrounge up some cash.

Jamie
09-30-05, 09:14 AM
whew.... Hadn't had the chance to pick up DW yet, and I saw that announcement and thought I wouldn't be able to buy it.... Hope there is still a copy available when I can scrounge up some cash.

DW will be re-released shortly into retail (this fall). It will hopefully still be available after Christmas, but after that just like any other product that goes into retail it may be gone ("shelf life" is a strange thing, as you know)... ;)

Captain Nemo
09-30-05, 10:29 AM
DW will be re-released shortly into retail (this fall). It will hopefully still be available after Christmas, but after that just like any other product that goes into retail it may be gone ("shelf life" is a strange thing, as you know)... ;)

Jamie, thanks for the info. From this I assume that the 1.02 patch will be released at about the same time?

Nemo