PDA

View Full Version : My >preliminary< résumé, based on sub-playing only

Skybird
09-15-05, 06:21 AM
First: is there a remedy or will it be adressed in a patch

... that AI subs happen to run aground at times if ground is raising gently, and sits still on that position for the remainder of the game? If that sub was holding a vital role in the scenario, the match is blown up by that.

... that ships still happen to run offshore at times?

GRRRR, 1:1 bug copies from SC.

... that AI subs on rare occasions blow themselves up when running into the ground with not slow speeds and that ground is raising steeply, not gently as in the example above?

... that torpedoes (ADCAPS, I did not play with the Akula) occasionally do not stay on depth at which they were fired at, but run to post-enable- depth as if they are active, but they still are miles away from activation point? Or is it some intention that I do not understand? It happens rarely, not regularly, that's what irritates me.

* is torpedoe speed and depth a factor that determines pickup range on sonar? I fired 55kn fish shallow and 35 speed deep, but enemy surface unit started to sprint at approx. 15 klicks in both cases. How to sneak in a slow, deep fish? With a sub as target it is even more impossible, it seems to me. Do I handle it wrong?

* this Kilo bug many had reported, did I get it right now that Kilo seems to be far louder than it actually is, but it's sonar having a longer pickup range than it should have? I'm not sure if I perceived it correctly, but somehow the Kilo definetly feels weired. AI kilos also hang around at snorkel depth a very huge ammount of time, and do it repeatedly in a mission of just a few hours? Intention? Shouldn't my sonar pick up a snorkeling sub more easily?

* movies and novels make a big thing of this for dramaturgical reasons, at least at close ranges it makes sense to me: the flooding, pressure equalizing and opening of muzzle hatches is still not modelled as a noise signal that is picked up on sonar and makes the AI react?

* sound problems: occasionally wavering sound, as if one is continously moving the sonar cursor over an SSN contact, so humming on - off - on - off - on - off in second'S change. It permits any other sounds beeing played for as long as it is there. It ends after one up to several minutes, or never for the remainder of the game. I checked sound card and drivers and such, all lamps are green here (Audigy 2, most recent driver, no problems whatsoever in other sims)

... that braking through the ice is not picked up by enemy sonar, even if unit is close by?

* and what is it that sometimes I can circle an enemy surface or sub unit endlessly in a 688, at very close range without getting picked up and AI never reacting? Did that repeatedly with campaign missions now, especially the second. Have they orders by mission editor to ignore me? Where is the sense in that mission, then?

* Basic sound levels of SSN and SS - I cannot bring it down to one point, but sometimes I scratched my head and asked it be like this? Well, subjective impression only. Sometimes some obervations in that regard simply irritate me.

Just some questions of mine, additionally to those that already have been raised by others in recent weeks and months.

===========================================

My résumé with DW so far: in a summary, the whole package is somewhat "round" and surely nice and complex, but thinking about what I have seen so far, and taking into account what other issues had been reported by others, my impression is that it got released too early and could have needed more caretaking for details that are no undiscovered last-minute-bugs, but often some very wellknown issues that are around for years now and that are coming from not spending enough time with the polishing, or even might be structural issues. I have so far only played with the subs, the air and surface units do not catch my interest so much, I will concentrate on them in the coming time now. So for sub drivers only not much seem to have changed since SC. Station graphics are a bit more polished, environmental graphics even a bit more so. Handling much the same. Sounds the same. So despite the examplary well-done manual that truly deserves to receive a loud hooray, for exclusive sub-lovers DW has little new things to offer what goes beyond SC, and DW wins new ground exclusively by it's new non-sub-platforms. That there should be a new physics engine is something I am not aware of, I never saw flying subs or torps in SC, and if physics means "sound environment" (that'S my initial thought when someones says physics and subs), then any possible changes have escaped my attention so far, layer effects, sonar range, it feels much the same way. If sound propagation is calculated differently, than I am not good enough a player to perceive it. That there still is no collision detection implemented is something I have no tolerance for, not only is it a flaw that is not fixed although it is well-known for years, it also makes scenarios that should take place in limited water bodies, streets and channels almost impossible, especially if you want to add a little randomization to movement patterns or setup points and want to have some confsued civiians in randomized movement around (I tried one unfinished mission I designed for SC, Gibraltar strait, it didn'T work well back then, and it doesn'T work well here). I saw stranded ships or grounded subs even in campaign mission. I conversed two randomized sub-team-deathmatches that I set up for SC some years ago, and played them in DW repeatedly, they feel very much the same, no real difference. I would like to see CM effectiveness more randomized, (50:50 maybe) and torpedoes not exploding when hitting a cloud of bubbles only, Amizaurs and Luftwolfs mod seem to go for that one, too, but I haven't tried their work so far.

I am very dissapointed by comments of people indicating, that the database probabaly hasn'T seen major overhaul since SC, and that it is still up to the community to add the plenty of detail that database structure in principle allows to be reflected. I do not mean finetuning existing values (these settings could be regarded as someehat questions of taste, to some degree), but not activating the diversity of different systems that is possible. DW, including SC to such a huge ammount, should have taken care that known issues with SC get deleted and that the SC database undergoes a major polishing. I must admit, to this point I think of my DW-installation as something like SC plus air/surface-addon. And somehow that was my initial impression since the first announcement long time back that DW was under developement. Graphically, both sims have more in common than what separates them.

It will take me more time to get into these new aerial and surface platforms, since they are completly new for me, really. So far and after ten days with subs exclusively, and comparing it to SC, my opinion is not overwhelming enthusiastic, but also not bone-crushing: it's not bad, but also no spectacular acchievement over SC. I am not sad or angry that I spend the money, but I wouldn'T have regretted if I would have waited even longer, I bought it from a friends' brother who wanted to get rid of it, that's the reason why I did not wait for the final patch, as I had announced before.

The manual is a very big plus. Nice in size, and even better: competently done in it's structure. The best one I've seen since Falcon.

A word on Sonalysts. That they spend a lot of words in the forums, but still let people wait for 1.02, not too mention a final patch, so that the modders could get started with their final work to fix what SCS has missed, is not really of what customer-orientation and support is about. Caring for one's customers is not talking endlessly about future patches or just beeing around in a forum, BUT DELIVERING DEEDS IN A REASONABLE TIME FREME - this is what counts, not forum presence. Forum presence doesn't buy me a single bit. More than half a year does not qualfiy for that definition of "rfeasonable time frame". Their attitude definetly has lost my sympathy for this principle reason. Others, even smaller ones, often show far better performance in this regard, I'm sorry to say. Other business interests of theirs are no excuse. DW-customers are their business, too, as long as they ask them for their money. If they cannot handle two businesses at the same time, they better should pick timeframes for their plannings that enables them to handle all businesses they have on active status at a given time. Some weeks ago I answered to a thread that was about why sales are lacking behind expectations, I referred to several guys I was advertising DW to, and why they did not show too much interest. Amongst other reasons - patches for past sims were one reasons that had been given, too. People did remember, obviously. Sonalysts current behavior does not help to change that impression for the better.

Newcomers I would advise to pick DW over SC, and if they have a high tolerance for very long waiting times for patches they should buy now, and if that tolerance is low, they better wait with their buying, to send the producer a basic message. People that already own SC I would advise to wait until final patch is there as long as they are not in a desperate need to board a frigate or a helo or Orion right now.

SteamWake
09-15-05, 10:34 AM
Wow... thats a lot of review.

Right on for the most part.

Im just wondering if maybe some of what you are seeing (ships sailing into the ground etc) might be due to "unsure contacts" portrayed on the 3D view.

Skybird
09-15-05, 12:06 PM
Wow... thats a lot of review.

Right on for the most part.

Im just wondering if maybe some of what you are seeing (ships sailing into the ground etc) might be due to "unsure contacts" portrayed on the 3D view.
Negative. Verified via "show truth".

And: no review of mine. It's not complete, frigate and air platforms are still missing in my opinion-building. It's my subjective opinion. Review is more complete, and more systematic.

Fish
09-15-05, 04:10 PM
First: is there a remedy or will it be adressed in a patch

... that AI subs happen to run aground at times if ground is raising gently, and sits still on that position for the remainder of the game? If that sub was holding a vital role in the scenario, the match is blown up by that.

... that ships still happen to run offshore at times?

GRRRR, 1:1 bug copies from SC.

... that AI subs on rare occasions blow themselves up when running into the ground with not slow speeds and that ground is raising steeply, not gently as in the example above?

You can chance that behaviour in Mission Editor. Page 68 ME manual

... that torpedoes (ADCAPS, I did not play with the Akula) occasionally do not stay on depth at which they were fired at, but run to post-enable- depth as if they are active, but they still are miles away from activation point? Or is it some intention that I do not understand? It happens rarely, not regularly, that's what irritates me.

Never have seen that behaviour myself, or hear about. I read dozens of reports weekly.

* is torpedoe speed and depth a factor that determines pickup range on sonar? I fired 55kn fish shallow and 35 speed deep, but enemy surface unit started to sprint at approx. 15 klicks in both cases. How to sneak in a slow, deep fish? With a sub as target it is even more impossible, it seems to me. Do I handle it wrong?

I think, someone correct me if I am wrong, that the LW-Ami mod fix that?

* this Kilo bug many had reported, did I get it right now that Kilo seems to be far louder than it actually is, but it's sonar having a longer pickup range than it should have? I'm not sure if I perceived it correctly, but somehow the Kilo definetly feels weired. AI kilos also hang around at snorkel depth a very huge ammount of time, and do it repeatedly in a mission of just a few hours? Intention? Shouldn't my sonar pick up a snorkeling sub more easily?

I found a snorkeling Kilo with a Akula at 30 nm.

* movies and novels make a big thing of this for dramaturgical reasons, at least at close ranges it makes sense to me: the flooding, pressure equalizing and opening of muzzle hatches is still not modelled as a noise signal that is picked up on sonar and makes the AI react?

Told here over and over, opening doors is visible, but only from close distance.

* sound problems: occasionally wavering sound, as if one is continously moving the sonar cursor over an SSN contact, so humming on - off - on - off - on - off in second'S change. It permits any other sounds beeing played for as long as it is there. It ends after one up to several minutes, or never for the remainder of the game. I checked sound card and drivers and such, all lamps are green here (Audigy 2, most recent driver, no problems whatsoever in other sims)

No idea what you are talking about here?

... that braking through the ice is not picked up by enemy sonar, even if unit is close by?

You are right here, but its minor in my opinion. :-?

* and what is it that sometimes I can circle an enemy surface or sub unit endlessly in a 688, at very close range without getting picked up and AI never reacting? Did that repeatedly with campaign missions now, especially the second. Have they orders by mission editor to ignore me? Where is the sense in that mission, then?

WF-Ami mod.

* Basic sound levels of SSN and SS - I cannot bring it down to one point, but sometimes I scratched my head and asked it be like this? Well, subjective impression only. Sometimes some obervations in that regard simply irritate me.

See above.

Just some questions of mine, additionally to those that already have been raised by others in recent weeks and months.

===========================================

My résumé with DW so far: in a summary, the whole package is somewhat "round" and surely nice and complex, but thinking about what I have seen so far, and taking into account what other issues had been reported by others, my impression is that it got released too early and could have needed more caretaking for details that are no undiscovered last-minute-bugs, but often some very wellknown issues that are around for years now and that are coming from not spending enough time with the polishing, or even might be structural issues. I have so far only played with the subs, the air and surface units do not catch my interest so much, I will concentrate on them in the coming time now. So for sub drivers only not much seem to have changed since SC. Station graphics are a bit more polished, environmental graphics even a bit more so. Handling much the same. Sounds the same. So despite the examplary well-done manual that truly deserves to receive a loud hooray, for exclusive sub-lovers DW has little new things to offer what goes beyond SC, and DW wins new ground exclusively by it's new non-sub-platforms. That there should be a new physics engine is something I am not aware of, I never saw flying subs or torps in SC, and if physics means "sound environment" (that'S my initial thought when someones says physics and subs), then any possible changes have escaped my attention so far, layer effects, sonar range, it feels much the same way. If sound propagation is calculated differently, than I am not good enough a player to perceive it. When your unable to see the differents ,perhaps, a litle modesty here from you would be nice.That there still is no collision detection implemented is something I have no tolerance for, not only is it a flaw that is not fixed although it is well-known for years, it also makes scenarios that should take place in limited water bodies, streets and channels almost impossible, especially if you want to add a little randomization to movement patterns or setup points and want to have some confsued civiians in randomized movement around (I tried one unfinished mission I designed for SC, Gibraltar strait, it didn'T work well back then, and it doesn'T work well here). I saw stranded ships or grounded subs even in campaign mission. I conversed two randomized sub-team-deathmatches that I set up for SC some years ago, and played them in DW repeatedly, they feel very much the same, no real difference. I would like to see CM effectiveness more randomized, (50:50 maybe) and torpedoes not exploding when hitting a cloud of bubbles only, Amizaurs and Luftwolfs mod seem to go for that one, too, but I haven't tried their work so far.

I am very dissapointed by comments of people indicating, that the database probabaly hasn'T seen major overhaul since SC, and that it is still up to the community to add the plenty of detail that database structure in principle allows to be reflected. I do not mean finetuning existing values (these settings could be regarded as someehat questions of taste, to some degree), but not activating the diversity of different systems that is possible. DW, including SC to such a huge ammount, should have taken care that known issues with SC get deleted and that the SC database undergoes a major polishing. I must admit, to this point I think of my DW-installation as something like SC plus air/surface-addon. And somehow that was my initial impression since the first announcement long time back that DW was under developement. Graphically, both sims have more in common than what separates them.

It will take me more time to get into these new aerial and surface platforms, since they are completly new for me, really. So far and after ten days with subs exclusively, and comparing it to SC, my opinion is not overwhelming enthusiastic, but also not bone-crushing: it's not bad, but also no spectacular acchievement over SC. I am not sad or angry that I spend the money, but I wouldn'T have regretted if I would have waited even longer, I bought it from a friends' brother who wanted to get rid of it, that's the reason why I did not wait for the final patch, as I had announced before.

The manual is a very big plus. Nice in size, and even better: competently done in it's structure. The best one I've seen since Falcon.

A word on Sonalysts. That they spend a lot of words in the forums, but still let people wait for 1.02, not too mention a final patch, so that the modders could get started with their final work to fix what SCS has missed, is not really of what customer-orientation and support is about. Caring for one's customers is not talking endlessly about future patches or just beeing around in a forum, BUT DELIVERING DEEDS IN A REASONABLE TIME FREME - this is what counts, not forum presence. Forum presence doesn't buy me a single bit. More than half a year does not qualfiy for that definition of "rfeasonable time frame". Their attitude definetly has lost my sympathy for this principle reason. Others, even smaller ones, often show far better performance in this regard, I'm sorry to say. Other business interests of theirs are no excuse. DW-customers are their business, too, as long as they ask them for their money. If they cannot handle two businesses at the same time, they better should pick timeframes for their plannings that enables them to handle all businesses they have on active status at a given time. Some weeks ago I answered to a thread that was about why sales are lacking behind expectations, I referred to several guys I was advertising DW to, and why they did not show too much interest. Amongst other reasons - patches for past sims were one reasons that had been given, too. People did remember, obviously. Sonalysts current behavior does not help to change that impression for the better.

Newcomers I would advise to pick DW over SC, and if they have a high tolerance for very long waiting times for patches they should buy now, and if that tolerance is low, they better wait with their buying, to send the producer a basic message. People that already own SC I would advise to wait until final patch is there as long as they are not in a desperate need to board a frigate or a helo or Orion right now.

Even when you make positive remarks, they sound negative. How, or better, why, do you do that? :hmm:
We have a saying for that in Holland.
Azijn pisser.
:yep:

Skybird
09-15-05, 05:47 PM
What's your red remark on sound propagation, is it done differently in DW? I admitted that if it is done differently I do not notice it and that it could be my incompetence as a player then. What is it that angers you here? What should I look out for? So far, when someone mentions the physics, talking was about no longer flying subs and torpedoes. Is there a thread with a description of different sound environment? Possible that I miss the differences if they are there. It's just that in that case - I do not notice them. What's your problem...? Cannot say it any more modest than like I did.

Sorry if you feel I am not enthusiastic enough. I tried to describe my impressions as objective as possible, and with regard to playing from sub platforms exclusively. I do not share the maximum enthusiasm of most people here, maybe because I know and own SC and compare DW to that, but I also do not bash the game into pieces. It seems to be in a shape comparable to SC 1.08, or slightly better. In terms of a school note I would rate it'S active submarine-play somewhere in the range of a B, B- or C+, with potential to raise in that scoring with patching and database polishing getting done. In German schoolnote system that means "gut/good" (B=2) and "befriedigend/satisfying" (C=3). "Good" and "satisfying" are fair and friendly descriptions for DW in current state. But I see no reason to go ballistic in my evaluation of it's sub-ralted gameplay. It is neither excellent nor "very good " (A), but maybe it could reach that score with some homework done. Note A would be reserved for "sehr gut" (very good/excellent): cannot be done any better. If it were so well all the way, I wonder why we already see first corrections and doctrine replacements and database changes beeing done - obviously not everything is perfect. I even did not adress the issues with helos, frigate operations that had been reported by others here, I am not so far with the game currently.

I can affect the AI not to steer it's ship offshore, or subs grounding and never move again? Well, in open sea with no ground or landmass around, yes. I talk of limited water bodies here. There does not seem any collision detection by the AI when it comes to seaground and landmasses. The ME editor did not help me in that regard. Page 68 talks of collision avoidance with reghard to unit-unit contacts (at-sea-replenishmeent-scenarios), not unit-land/ground collisions. The units in for example camopaign-2 scenario are not planned to do reppöensihmeent, so it is a reasonable guess there collision avpoidance is "on". didn't help that Han and Akula run aground, did not help that skimmer running offshore. Have I overseen an option to turn landmass detection on, or something like that?

Understood your reply concerning opening doors and ice-brakethrough. just wanted to know for sure. the ice-thing is mior, I agree. Is there a fixed value known at what range muzzle hatches opening are detected?

Torpedo speeds: I try that LW 2.0, so far I have had DW 1.01 only.

You find snorkeling Kilos, hm, so far snorkleing, almost surfaced Kilos are as loud on my sonar as if they were some feet below snorkeling depth, or at 150 meters (judging by show truth). I also asked why they are snorkeling so very often, or at least hang around at the shallow depth so often. Shouldn'T the sea waves make it more difficult for them to detect something? Is it because the broadband bug, that surface does not affect them, thus they do not care at what depth they are?

AI subs not reacting to me even if I am VERY close and noisy - hm, didn't red anything about that in LW2.0 readme. you mean it is for example some broken database entries that they have fixed? Why do they detect me then at longer ranges? I am aware of detection cones of different sonar arrays. I am not talking about the Kilo only, but SSNs as well.

Sound problem: occasionally it happens that there is an overlaying sound "hum-off-hum-off", where the "hum" sounds like a close SSN on BB, and one cycle of "hum-off" lasts around one second. This sound remains even when switching stations, or arrays, or platforms when in 3D world selecting another platform,and is supressing other solunds except speech. I have done one new installation because of this. It still happens occasionally. I also played with sound hardware acceleration, it did play no role. Sometimes dissapears all by itself again, and other sounds are played again, sometimes it stqays for minutes or the rest of the game. Wild guess of mine: some sonar sound calculation is going into a loop.

Please do not try to trap me in personal duels again - just because I do not share every maximum positive view of yours, maybe. Again, my impression is not bad, but also not an exclusively positive one. Unconditioned enthusiams I leave to authors of print magazine reviews (that's why I have stopped since long to read any). And I think that is a fair judgement as long as one is not all too willing to simply oversee and ignore flaws and issues.

Right now I have no antipathy towards DW, but against SCS. Game content and company policy are not the same. I will stay with DW and will not go back to SC, but I will not buy again something from SCS - both decisions for very different reasons.

Fish
09-15-05, 06:35 PM
What's your red remark on sound propagation, is it done differently in DW? I admitted that if it is done differently I do not notice it and that it could be my incompetence as a player then. What is it that angers you here? What should I look out for? So far, when someone mentions the physics, talking was about no longer flying subs and torpedoes. Is there a thread with a description of different sound environment? Possible that I miss the differences if they are there. It's just that in that case - I do not notice them. What's your problem...? Cannot say it any more modest than like I did.

Sorry if you feel I am not enthusiastic enough. I tried to describe my impressions as objective as possible, and with regard to playing from sub platforms exclusively. I do not share the maximum enthusiasm of most people here, maybe because I know and own SC and compare DW to that, but I also do not bash the game into pieces. It seems to be in a shape comparable to SC 1.08, or slightly better. In terms of a school note I would rate it'S active submarine-play somewhere in the range of a B, B- or C+, with potential to raise in that scoring with patching and database polishing getting done. In German schoolnote system that means "gut/good" (B=2) and "befriedigend/satisfying" (C=3). "Good" and "satisfying" are fair and friendly descriptions for DW in current state. But I see no reason to go ballistic in my evaluation of it's sub-ralted gameplay. It is neither excellent nor "very good " (A), but maybe it could reach that score with some homework done. Note A would be reserved for "sehr gut" (very good/excellent): cannot be done any better. If it were so well all the way, I wonder why we already see first corrections and doctrine replacements and database changes beeing done - obviously not everything is perfect. I even did not adress the issues with helos, frigate operations that had been reported by others here, I am not so far with the game currently.

I can affect the AI not to steer it's ship offshore, or subs grounding and never move again? Well, in open sea with no ground or landmass around, yes. I talk of limited water bodies here. There does not seem any collision detection by the AI when it comes to seaground and landmasses. The ME editor did not help me in that regard. Page 68 talks of collision avoidance with reghard to unit-unit contacts (at-sea-replenishmeent-scenarios), not unit-land/ground collisions. The units in for example camopaign-2 scenario are not planned to do reppöensihmeent, so it is a reasonable guess there collision avpoidance is "on". didn't help that Han and Akula run aground, did not help that skimmer running offshore. Have I overseen an option to turn landmass detection on, or something like that?

Understood your reply concerning opening doors and ice-brakethrough. just wanted to know for sure. the ice-thing is mior, I agree. Is there a fixed value known at what range muzzle hatches opening are detected?

Torpedo speeds: I try that LW 2.0, so far I have had DW 1.01 only.

You find snorkeling Kilos, hm, so far snorkleing, almost surfaced Kilos are as loud on my sonar as if they were some feet below snorkeling depth, or at 150 meters (judging by show truth). I also asked why they are snorkeling so very often, or at least hang around at the shallow depth so often. Shouldn'T the sea waves make it more difficult for them to detect something? Is it because the broadband bug, that surface does not affect them, thus they do not care at what depth they are?

AI subs not reacting to me even if I am VERY close and noisy - hm, didn't red anything about that in LW2.0 readme. you mean it is for example some broken database entries that they have fixed? Why do they detect me then at longer ranges? I am aware of detection cones of different sonar arrays. I am not talking about the Kilo only, but SSNs as well.

Sound problem: occasionally it happens that there is an overlaying sound "hum-off-hum-off", where the "hum" sounds like a close SSN on BB, and one cycle of "hum-off" lasts around one second. This sound remains even when switching stations, or arrays, or platforms when in 3D world selecting another platform,and is supressing other solunds except speech. I have done one new installation because of this. It still happens occasionally. I also played with sound hardware acceleration, it did play no role. Sometimes dissapears all by itself again, and other sounds are played again, sometimes it stqays for minutes or the rest of the game. Wild guess of mine: some sonar sound calculation is going into a loop.

Please do not try to trap me in personal duels again - just because I do not share every maximum positive view of yours, maybe. Again, my impression is not bad, but also not an exclusively positive one. Unconditioned enthusiams I leave to authors of print magazine reviews (that's why I have stopped since long to read any). And I think that is a fair judgement as long as one is not all too willing to simply oversee and ignore flaws and issues.

Right now I have no antipathy towards DW, but against SCS. Game content and company policy are not the same. I will stay with DW and will not go back to SC, but I will not buy again something from SCS - both decisions for very different reasons.

Page 68, 13 (PathFinding).
And the game physics has to do with the inertia of the platform.
I am not a technician, so someone els could better explain this.

Skybird
09-16-05, 05:06 AM
Page 68, 13 (PathFinding).
And the game physics has to do with the inertia of the platform.
I am not a technician, so someone els could better explain this.

Ah, thanks, I found the entry on collision avoidance with units only. Will see how this script makes a difference. I just dived quickly in the ME and if I interpreted it right, the units in missions in questions did not have an entry concerning this script activation. Will do that manually and see.

Nice about the environmental physics is the presence of drift and currents, and that it takes longer now to reach speeds below 3 kn. I assume that's what you are referring to with inertia.

Fish
09-16-05, 05:44 AM
Go to ship control station and order a full left rudder at flank, then make a new course and watch ships behaviour. :up: