PDA

View Full Version : Visual HF Sub identification

Dr.Sid
09-12-05, 10:21 AM
I played AI mission yesterday .. I was in seawolf. I had to protect some convoy. It was one of the missions from subguru I guess. Link said there is one unidentified subsurface contact nearby .. helos swarmed around but was not sure if it is enemy. So I came close. I heard nothing. I got closer .. still nothing. I pinged .. and yes, there really was something there, not disturbed by my ping at all. I go even closer and I saw him on HF sonar. For moment I had track on towed, autocrew said it was LA class. Then track vanished. I got cocky, and while looking at HW screen I got very very close .. and what did I saw ? By the shape on the HF screen it was not LA - it was Kilo ! I was like 100 yards behind. I turned 90 degrees, checked sphere and towed again .. nothing. I turned again toward target (it was passing left to right in front of me) - nice Kilo siluete. I turned truth on, And I see kilo was really tyhere doing 3kts. There was some noisy watter (I estimate state 4) and the kilo was TOTALY masked by the noise. Depth was about 100 ft.

Well .. I backed a little, not letting the contact to leave my HF screen, and from 1 mile i blasted him.

Yet I must say that I'm using 1.03 user database mod.

MaHuJa
09-13-05, 12:06 PM
Sounds like my encounter from somewhat earlier...

Me in a kilo, not getting a 688(i) going 7 knots until 200 yards, and that being with the "click cheat". That was with finiteless' database mod. That could easily have wound up in a collision.

(It didn't work at 220 yards)

Kapitan
09-13-05, 01:07 PM
you'll be surprised what the HF sonar picks up

MaHuJa
09-14-05, 11:19 PM
Pretty much anything that isn't the static environment - if it's not water or bottom, it's visible. Exceptions are things above water, and possibly a few things below. Clue is, you have to be fairly close. You're supposed to have detected them already. IRL its use would also be detectable by others in the vicinity.

Unfortunately, it's not good to use for plotting moving objects. You can get a marker, but until that marker is gone you cannot remark it. (It's just extra work, though)

Kapitan
09-15-05, 01:22 AM
great for under ice navigation but useless when trying to attack