PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Double

SteamWake
09-11-05, 10:13 PM
Greetings everyone,

Im probably just screwing up somehow but something weird is going on with my DW game.

Im trying the African Bees nest mission. On the way out I launch a helo and confirm some hostile targets.

I take a peek at them in the 3d view and there are two boats right next to each other .. almost inside each other.

I target one and take it out. I change the focus to the other one that is still moving target it and the weapons go towards the original (wrong) target.

I double checked to see I had the correct contact designated yet it still shoots at the other "original" contact.

What am I doin wrong or is something goofy goin on ??

Neutrino 123
09-11-05, 10:27 PM
One of the contacts is probably a link contact from your helo, and one is a contact from your own sensors. Neither probably is the 'exact' location of the target, but both are probably very close. Since one may be a more accurate solution then the other, you'll probably see weapons go to that one.

If you destroy one, the computer may not automatically delete both from your nav map.

compressioncut
09-11-05, 10:29 PM
That's because the contact has been detected by two different sensors, and has yet to be merged into a single contact. The 3d view can be a little confusing in that sense.

If you elect to "show truth" (ctrl + shift + t), you'll see the real contact, rather than what the sensors are detecting.

Kapitan
09-12-05, 01:16 AM
hmmm that is wierd i havnt come across that

SteamWake
09-12-05, 08:36 AM
I belive I had show truth turned on (option at install). I may have turned it off but dont think so.

I think some of what you say may be true because I sent a chopper out to investigate and it sees two targets nearly inside one another. One is tagged with High confidence the other is marked with low.

Lets say I have a contact 1010 which I lock up and hit witha missle. It turns into a grey icon labeled 1011 or something. The 1010 contact remains moving towards OS. A quick look at 3D map and there is 1010 steaming towards us !. I lock up 1010 in weapons control and start firing ciws. CIWS starts shootint but its shooting at the already dead contact 1011.

So I jump on the .50 cal and swing it around and .. uh... where is it ?

Im sure Ive got something confused or set wrong. For one thing I did not know you have to set something to link to helo radar so their spottings were visual. But you would think they could tell the difference between one sailboat and two sailboats right next to each other.

Its very confusing.

Pigfish
09-12-05, 08:58 PM
Lets say I have a contact 1010 which I lock up and hit witha missle. It turns into a grey icon labeled 1011 or something. The 1010 contact remains moving towards OS. A quick look at 3D map and there is 1010 steaming towards us !. I lock up 1010 in weapons control and start firing ciws. CIWS starts shootint but its shooting at the already dead contact 1011.

So I jump on the .50 cal and swing it around and .. uh... where is it ?

Its very confusing.

If Im reading this right you are wasting your time and ammo on 1010 after the grey icon came up. The grey icon means target destroyed and it is now time for you to manually delete sensor contacts. I mean your targets dead and the game will not automatically delete your last known contact (yellow I will guess?). You need to manually delete this last know contact, or contacts once the grey box appears.

You didnt mention what sensor(s) but if left alone I think the contact 1010 would last forever on the sensors last known bearing. Keep an eye on the 'age' of contact. Also sinking ships sometimes take awhile and will still appear on radars or link, even after being destroyed. I tend to wait a bit before deleting the contacts as they will just reappear until the ship is completly sunk.

Sailboats are terrible for this...so slow to sink. :x :lol:

SteamWake
09-13-05, 11:31 AM
Update : I used the show truth last night and the ghost contacts dissapeared merged into a single "high" target. Sure made that mission easy (African Bees).

So let try to wrap my feeble mind around this.

There was contacts from two different sources. Ships radar and Helo (visual). Unfoutnatly they did not get merged (yes I need to learn how). So the boat I see running towards OS is really just an "artifact" even though it looks quite real in the 3D view.

Once I delete the supposed dead contact the ship(s) poof from 3D view ?

These artifact dontacts were known hostile (Red Diamond) and speed was like 19 knots.

Kapitan
09-13-05, 11:36 AM
oh good god thats what you ment i get that all the time on my sonar i got one propper contact and i could have two other false contacts just knowing what one is what

MaHuJa
09-13-05, 11:41 AM
I mean your targets dead and the game will not automatically delete your last known contact (yellow I will guess?). You need to manually delete this last know contact, or contacts once the grey box appears.
I usually change its designation, e.g. to "mine".

You didnt mention what sensor(s) but if left alone I think the contact 1010 would last forever on the sensors last known bearing. Keep an eye on the 'age' of contact. Also sinking ships sometimes take awhile and will still appear on radars or link, even after being destroyed. I tend to wait a bit before deleting the contacts as they will just reappear until the ship is completly sunk.

It will disappear around the time the wreck is actually removed from the game. Until this happens or it's completely below the surface, the radar will still pick them up, and therefore they will reappear if they were dropped.

The grey contact is dependent on the "show dead" option.