PDA

View Full Version : New units with DWedit?

Pigfish
09-04-05, 08:16 PM
Has anyone tried adding/creating new units to new countrys with existing units in game yet?

I did this with SC/SCX and had no problem. Poland, Algeria, Romania, Peru etc with appropriate units and weapons. With SCX there certainaly were a lot of units/weapons to pick from already made with the right sensors. :rock:

But with DWedit its a little trickier to me. I added A Canadian Navy with a Halifax FFG and a Iroquois DDG. Of coarse my Halifax 3D object resembles a OHP and the Iroquois sure looks like a ChengKung but what the heck... :roll:

Anyway I can change weapons, sensors etc no problem but when it comes to making a unique sonar profile dialog I run into problems.

Something to do with the little arrow box you see by index, when clicked it says 'When giving it a unused index will enable OK!'.

After a zillion trys with different index #s I have got things to work but really dont know what I have done to get it to work. Also ran into this problem in country dialog.

Im sure there is an easy answer with a quick, surefire way that I am missing. :oops: Can anyone help?

Kapitan
09-05-05, 01:46 AM
i havnt managed it but if there are new units id like to have some :D especialy a yankee or borey SSBN

Pigfish
09-05-05, 03:35 AM
No, no brand new units like a Borey. But with DWedit and the limited # of platforms to 'copy' you can add new units with unique active and passive signatures. And appropriate weapons. Can only work with whats in game though. For eg I can make a proper Victoria class sub for Canada but would have to use say, the Harashio for 3D. Kinda close a little bit. :roll: Change its weapons and sensors and I have a functional Victoria that looks like a Harushio. :(

Poland is pretty easy though. An OHP, Kilo and a Kashin exist in game so can be 'copied' and altered. Or Ukraine, a Krivak and a Foxtrot.

Sure hope there is a DWX cuz the options would then increase 1000 fold. :yep:

XabbaRus
09-05-05, 06:51 AM
I too sure hope DWX will happen. But AFAIK that's not going to happen until the 1.02 patch is out.

To be honest I haven't played DW for some time now and probably won't play it that much till patch 1.02 is out and DWX.

The AI won't start getting better until Thomas takes a look at the doctrine and gives each unit its proper senors with SCX values...

Since Thomas has the most in depth knowledge and experience of the mechanics of DW as a result of doing SCX and beta testing DW I haven't installed any other mods till DWX comes out.

I am still making my 3D models and I fire up DW to test stuff, but until some serious mod stuff is done I am busy with other things.

Thing is adding your own units is great but it can hinder MP play. That is why it is good to have one unified dbase which pretty much everyone has installed, unless you do a dual install of DW, one stock DW the other modded DW.

stormrider_sp
09-05-05, 02:11 PM
Hey Pigfish, would ya teach us how to do so, i mean, adding new platforms to game using DWedit or any program you think is best for the job?

Thanks mate

Would be nice to have a Virginia using the visuals from the 21 and so on...

Pigfish
09-06-05, 11:50 PM
Hey Pigfish, would ya teach us how to do so, i mean, adding new platforms to game using DWedit or any program you think is best for the job?

Thanks mate

Would be nice to have a Virginia using the visuals from the 21 and so on...

Hey SR- Im back working and a tutorial would be a lot of work right now (for me :doh:). Maybe next time I have some time off. But...

If you go waaayyy back in my posts on the SC forum I made a readme as to how to add/copy units in SC. If you can find it I will try to update it.

In fact if I recall there would probally be a few things I would change. :roll:

SCEdit and DWEdit are very very much the same to use really. Some bonuses in DWEdit though..

To me just learning SC/DWEdit the hardway was and is a big part of the fun. Just make sure to save your origional files and start playing around and testing-its not that hard I think. Refrences are a must. Janes is a must along with various web links.

As always IMHO. :lol:

PeriscopeDepth
09-07-05, 05:24 PM
I'm having trouble adding completely new units with DWedit. Can someone tell me how it's done?

Amizaur
09-07-05, 05:58 PM
Best would be on example. What would you like to add ?

PeriscopeDepth
09-07-05, 08:55 PM
I was trying to do something simple to learn it, so I'm trying to add a Khalid (Agosta 90B) Pakistani SSK. I enter new object and type in Khalid SSK, but when I try in the new entity dialog to set the link to shipclass variable to the Khalid SSK, it is nowhere to be found on the list.

Thanks

Pigfish
09-07-05, 10:15 PM
I was trying to do something simple to learn it, so I'm trying to add a Khalid (Agosta 90B) Pakistani SSK. I enter new object and type in Khalid SSK, but when I try in the new entity dialog to set the link to shipclass variable to the Khalid SSK, it is nowhere to be found on the list.

Thanks

Thats cuz you need to make a new "ship class' linked to Pakistan. You will have to do the same with '3d object' also. Be sure to name them EXACTLY the same as in 'object'.

When in 'ship class', the little arrow box you see beside 'Index' be sure to open and put in manually the default index # you are given where it says "Giving an unused index # will enable OK."

Im still expermenting with my last comment but have taken to doing this whenever the option is there and seems to work. I think any open index # will work but dont forget to do this or it wont "stick". Also always click on apply and then go to the upper left of the tool bar, under file, and click save after making changes in each dialog . Very important.

Hope I said this right and helps gets you going with DWEdit.

PeriscopeDepth
09-08-05, 02:12 AM
Thanks Pigfish. I guess I should check out all the other buttons on DWedit.