PDA

View Full Version : How Does This Sound...

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
08-27-05, 01:57 PM
ok, here's the scenario...

your playing a wwii subsim... multiplayer... and each player was part of a crew... an officer or petty officer crew member... and each crew consisting of 3 players total...

now naturally, this setup necessitates each officer crewmember wearing the hats of several different crew positions and having varying duties and responsibilities of each of these different crew positions he will be manning during different watches...

in short, does the following setup sound plausible or at the least, semi realistic...

on a uboat crew

the captain - command / naviagtion / attack scope / bridge watch

the chief (engineer) - helm & planes / engine room (during diving alarm to configure for dive, or when required to adjust electrical)

the exec (watchoffizer) - ballast (diving stations) / attack table (combat stations) / deck watch (manuvering stations) / sound & radio (as required)

on a US or Japanese fleet sub crew

the captain - command / naviagtion / attack scope / bridge watch

dive/engineering officer [b] - helm & planes / engine room (during diving bell to configure for dive or when required to adjust electrical)

[b]the executive officer [b] - ballast (diving stations) / attack & plot (combat stations) / sonar (as required) / deck watch (manuvering stations) / radio

[b] on an Allied or German or Japanese asw destroyer crew

the captain - command / naviagtion / bridge watch

[b]engineering officer [b] - helm / engine room (as required) / ballast control (as required in emegency)

[b]the executive officer [b] - attack & plot (combat stations) / sonar (as required) / gunnery & depth charge / deck watch (manuvering stations) / radio

what does this sound like... comments, suggestions...

thanks

--Mike

martes86
08-27-05, 07:31 PM
In the Uboat, you should make the Chief also control the ballast. He must control everything related to dives. The other ones, are ok.

08-28-05, 08:03 AM
thanks martes, for taking the time to add your input...

i think you are correct on this... the primary reason i have the exec doing this is because i wanted to distribute the workload, and since the chief engineer is going to be running back (quick teleport) to the engine room to secure the diesels and set the batteries for submerged running... then running back and controls the planesman and the helm... he's gonna be a pretty busy fellow...

the exec is doing nothing during this time, so i put him on the ballast controls so as to distribute the workload...

also... it's neat to have everyone (all the live players) in the control room during the dive :)

but you are right... it is a lil odd to have the weps guy at the ballast controls... i'll see if there is an alternative to this...

thanks again

--Mike

Kapitan
08-28-05, 06:28 PM
it is a great idea and what about if you doa campaing thing where you have to work your way up through the ranks ie engineer XO the captain ?

might be good cause you would have to work it all out cause normaly every one wants to be captain

Bill Nichols
08-29-05, 09:19 AM
In the Uboat, you should make the Chief also control the ballast. He must control everything related to dives. The other ones, are ok.

I was reading Peter Cremer's excellent book (U-boat Commander). In it, he says he was able to flood ballast tanks from the bridge. He did so routinely during crash dives.

Deamon
08-29-05, 11:04 AM
I was reading Peter Cremer's excellent book (U-boat Commander). In it, he says he was able to flood ballast tanks from the bridge. He did so routinely during crash dives.

That was common for WWI u-boats but i suppose you are talking about WWII right ?

Deamon

Bill Nichols
08-29-05, 12:23 PM

That was common for WWI u-boats but i suppose you are talking about WWII right ?

Deamon

right.

Deamon
08-30-05, 12:08 AM

I maybe have misstook here something, you say flooding the ballsttanks from the bridge ? You mean not from inside the conning tower ?

And about whitch submarine typ is the talk here ?

Deamon

Andy
08-30-05, 06:09 AM
Mike, sounds good. How are you planning on implementing flow of information between players? For example, the Captain must pass bearings information to Exec. Will this by by VOIP, manual text message, or clicking target in scope passes info to fellow player?

08-30-05, 09:28 AM
good question Andy... right now i've got casual chat working, and have it so that you must be in the same compartment in order for the chat to show... someone in the conning tower couldn't chat with someone in the ward room...

the Captain can announce over something similar to the 1mc shipboard pa for fixed, general messages...

alarms are also broadcast shipwide...

specific items, like sending a target bearing to the XO from the scope are right now voice overs "bearing, mark... one... nine... five" and the XO has to work his plot... these are not sent over the 1mc, and are only heard if you are in that compartment...

i've still got a lot to work on, a lot that keeps changing... but inter ship communication is pretty much down pat...

just a few kinks to iron out... it seems as if there's always a few more kinks to iron out :lol:

--Mike

Kapitan
09-06-05, 03:10 PM
sounds good to me :up:

Etienne
10-13-05, 08:40 PM

You guys think too much like enlisted men.

An officer can flood the ballasts from anywhere. He just had to be able to shout loud enough to be heard by the rating standing by the valves.

10-14-05, 08:52 AM
An officer can flood the ballasts from anywhere. He just had to be able to shout loud enough to be heard by the rating standing by the valves.

hahaha... good one E :lol:

but come on now... what fun would that be...

the whole point of having the officers 'take the station' is to keep em at their watch stations, and not have em issuing orders from the ward room :-j

plus the added immersion factor... hands on... besides, you're goona have to be right there to read the dials... the depth gauges, flood level gauges, compasses, etc... there's very little of a gui for that sorta stuff...

finally... from what i've tested, the game becomes pretty boring just standing in one spot issuing orders and having bots do the work... this way the player gets to experience both officer and enlisted perspectives...

i have though, given the Captain a capability similar to what you proposed... he can give orders and not actually be at the station... but he can only give verbal orders when he's at the con... the only way he can give orders when he's in the ward room is via the 1mc...

--Mike

Letum
10-14-05, 12:29 PM
Im worried about this setup - would it mean no single player or frenzyed charicture switching?

martes86
10-14-05, 03:16 PM
Hey Mike, how does it progress? Would be quite fun to play in MP a subsim this way. :D

Caseck
12-18-05, 12:00 AM
I would assume the Engineering station would also handle any damage control in the crew layouts?