PDA

View Full Version : New Video Card

Sub Sailor
08-21-05, 01:21 PM
I am seeking some advice on purchasing a new video card.
I have:
Widows XP Home Edition all patched up
Creative SB 24 bit live sound card
40 GB hard drive
512 MB Ram
Power Supply is 300 watts, I am waiting for a new power supply 550 watts.
Present card GeForce FX 5500 Nividia AGP 128 MB 4-8X

Like many I am getting the flickering in DC, but now I get it in all my sims-which is why I am increasing my power supply. I hope to have it in by the end of the week. All of this started with I upgraded to XP and the new graphics card. Even my old one flickers now.
Also PNY has worked with me on the graphics card, so this is not an anti anyone. I have been reading, nukes do that, andt most people seem pleased with Radeon cards.

I want to keep my price around a 100 bucks. But now my questions is there a big difference between say Diamond, ATI etc?
Also I do not understand LS SE, you know like 9200SE.
I want a AGP card, 8X, 128 MB, and the cards starting with 9200 through 9600XT are all in my price range. I guess price should not be a big factor but I am retired and will be 65 next month so I really don't want to hock the ranch-plus I fly fish and hunt so I have expensive hobbies. Good news is- I don't run around with younger women.
Any advice will be greatly apprecaiated and rest assured I am not one of those types that will raise hell if I am not happy- I am old fashioned you ask for advice and then make your own choice. Possibly my new power supply will make all of this a moot point, I am just covering all the bases.

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)