PDA

View Full Version : MP and sub comms?

MarkShot
08-20-05, 02:38 PM
Just curious ... I have read the Bluebook and reread it again recently ...

For those who play MP engagements with multiple allied subs how do you address the comms issue? It seems to me that providing real-time comms like in a flight sim is not realistic for sub engagements. The Blue Book seems to describe this type of game play. Also, the reality of the Windows and the Internet is that there is no way to prevent chat programs from running.

Thanks.

Winston
08-21-05, 07:59 AM
Hi there, I've thought about this problem my self. As I'm in a dod clan we use Team speak 2 all the time. Right now I'm still learning how to play well so I will not be dead meat when I go on line with DW.
Anyway, on a team speak 2 server you could set up two different 'rooms' for two different platforms. The people in those rooms could only speak to them selves and represent the crew of one of the platforms. An outsider could monitor communications over TS2 to make sure they're not passing information to each other. Still, there are ways around it, there are many ways to communicate over the internet. For my part I do agree with you. If I was part of a crew on one of two platforms I’d insist that we play fair. It would be more realistic if they were out of communication unless they had there radio mast up maybe. I think it’s down to the taste of the individual.

Bellman
08-21-05, 10:35 AM
I agree with Mark that the comms process in MP is unrealistic.

Even if the opponents or same siders agree to honour the reality requirement by going to a near surface
level to raise the mast or float the wire, under SC the replay gives no indication of depth.

Without evidence how can the procedure be policed ? :hmm:

SquidB
08-21-05, 04:06 PM
Yes its well unrealistic. From what ive experianced there can be a decleration of honour, ie no comms unless at periscope depth and then only with another sub that is.

Idealy we should have a 'hard core' option that only allows people to do so when applicable, then the fog of war would be complete.

Still, given the time it can take to prosicute a contact and the fact that one of the best ways to pass the time whilst doing so is chewing the fat its a godsend.

Would be nice to have the option though