PDA

View Full Version : Spotting transients with the SSAZ?

MarkShot
08-20-05, 02:33 PM
Well, I have learned to spot transients with the waterfall mode BB.

Is there any hope to do this with SSAZ or is it just too hard given that you need to watching continuously?

Thanks.

TLAM Strike
08-20-05, 02:49 PM
You need to be viewing the SSAZ display when that transients occurs.

Its possible, I've spotted the occasional helo with the SSAZ.

Sea Demon
08-20-05, 05:55 PM
Yes, I've seen some as well. But as TLAM says, you gotta be looking at it as it happens, and sometimes they are very subtle. I know this is one drawback to SSAZ & FRAZ displays. But I really like the fact that you can get a good overall picture around your submarine with the Russian sonar models. The situation awareness in these displays is something you don't get in the waterfall displays. But transients are easier to track in waterfall because you can view sonar history.

Sea Demon

MarkShot
08-20-05, 06:10 PM
I agree about the SA SSAZ, but what I like best is the FRAZ (NB). Since it makes it possible to watch all bearings simultaneously, it makes it much easier to use time compression with the TA and frequency set 150Hz looking for that first faint contact indicating a POSSUB. This makes conducting a search more efficient and allows you to not have to sacrifice anything to time compression. With the waterfall NB you need to drop out of time compression at regular intervals to do a scan; and, of course, on the average you lost X/2 bearing lines where X represents your time interval between scans.

SquidB
08-20-05, 06:33 PM
Is the szaz (sp) a reflection of reality tho? Is it a case of the russians went down a different path to the sonar display or just a game tool to provide the feel your on a different sub? Personally i prefer it over the waterfall due to the SA it provides....

Then again hasnt someone invented a display that can combine the best of both worlds?

TLAM Strike
08-20-05, 07:12 PM
Russian subs do use the SSAZ display. Recently they have begun using waterfall displays.

The USN and possably the RN have devloped a Waterfall style SSAZ display. Basicly it wraps a waterfall around a round display. The Seawolfs, Ohios and possably Upholders have these displays.

John Channing
08-20-05, 07:57 PM
Russian subs do use the SSAZ display. Recently they have begun using waterfall displays.

The USN and possably the RN have devloped a Waterfall style SSAZ display. Basicly it wraps a waterfall around a round display. The Seawolfs, Ohios and possably Upholders have these displays.

1) There aren't any Upholders.

2) The Victoria Class use traditional waterfalls.

JCC

TLAM Strike
08-20-05, 08:24 PM
Someone around here mentioned that a Upholder that was being transferred had a SSAZ or FRAZ display. I think it was Mcarm or one of the other old hands.

1) There aren't any Upholders.
Sure there is, HMCS Chicoutimi, HMCS Corner Brook, HMCS Vicotria, and HMCS Windsor, just because they changed the name it dosn't mean they arn't part of that class.

Kapitan
08-21-05, 01:31 AM

only on the most modern Lada and Akula classes no where else

blackshark
08-24-05, 03:56 AM

only on the most modern Lada and Akula classes no where else

Do they still retain the SSAZ or is it only waterfall? During my first dive in the akula i felt it would have been best if both were present. Or would that overwhelm the sonar operator?

Also do all akulas have waterfall displays or only the new ones?

Kapitan
08-24-05, 06:58 AM
only the new akula improved and the akula 2 have the waterfall the rest well are being re fitted one by one