PDA

View Full Version : Always fire first?

manwar
08-15-05, 06:08 PM
Here's a little topic to get these forums rolling, hopefully. I'm still learning this game and would like some expertise input. As I assume from reading the posts from you guys there are some actual subject matter experts. To be successful do you always fire the moment you even closely ID a hostile or do you prosecute for a while. Or, does it vary depending on the platform and the target. I seem to be pretty good on getting a good fix on enemy targets just a bit slow to fire. I guess what I would like to know is how sure are you guys when you fire. Or maybe I'm used to SHIII and the like where I try to be too stealthy. Some ideas would be very helpful.

Mac out

XabbaRus
08-15-05, 06:31 PM
Up to you.

Ideally you want to be close enough that your torp gets to the target quickly but not so close that they can shoot you too.

I try to get into within 8000 yards before I attack.

PeriscopeDepth
08-15-05, 07:16 PM
Depends a lot on the target, and what you're driving. All the playable subs in DW are pretty quiet though. If it's fast and has a good sensor suite, you want to be close enough where you feel your fish will run him down without him detecting you and shooting first. If he's fast and has a less than great sensor suite, I'd say get under 10K yards definitely.

However, if you're in an FFG and pick up a sub with your TA you'd better act fast. Chances are he's had you for a while.

Kapitan
08-15-05, 08:31 PM
fire first means death thats my derative on it under ice it matters in the blue water it matters

firing on a contact you just classified could give your position away whos to say the sub your trying to get is there it could be a whale or fish or some thing else

in saying that you classify a target and fire on it turns out to be a whale then the attacking sub has a pure fix on you he fires then what you do your screwed

as i drive the akula and know that in a battle its normaly wise to stay slow
i also urge you to know your platform inside out get every bit of info and revise it know every inch of the boat know sonar radar ect all systerms then learn to control your boat

as i command an akula i know there are plenty of boats out there who can kill me and have a big advantage over me such as a seawolf but i learn how to get round them because i find the weak spots

but equaly theres boats out there not so good as you and can kill you ok you might be in a seawolf but you get careless some other skipper will pick that up and he doesnt have to have the best boat in the world during a mission a few months back a chinease kilo sank an american 688i fluke or no fluke to late its dead

learn from mistakes build on them adapt them only way forward its a game yeah but as i want to be a captain one day i take it seriously :up:

anyways what platform do you command ?

Bellman
08-16-05, 01:18 AM
:) Welcome. You dont say whether you aim your question at SP or MP ?

In the Akula you did'nt give away your posiition with underwater missile launches, so there was a tactical bonus
in striking first and flushing out the target. Now the LuftAmi Database Mod introduces significant
transients and allegedley TIWs.

This will cahnge the balance of the game significantly.

Molon Labe
08-16-05, 02:02 AM
Go ahead and hold your fire as long as you want in SP.

In MP, the best time to fire is as soon as your solution is firmed up. Waiting longer gives your opponent time to firm up his own solution. It's best to keep him off-balance by firing before he has you localized.

Fish
08-16-05, 03:36 AM
:) Welcome. You dont say whether you aim your question at SP or MP ?

In the Akula you did'nt give away your posiition with underwater missile launches, so there was a tactical bonus
in striking first and flushing out the target. Now the LuftAmi Database Mod introduces significant
transients and allegedley TIWs.

This will cahnge the balance of the game significantly.
I have to test this mod. :hmm:

LuftWolf
08-16-05, 09:26 PM
The TIW may not function with the persistent missle transient removed.

Thanks for giving it a try. :up:

It WILL, however, leave a trace on the Western waterfalls, which is an interesting game balance, better sublaunched missles for the Russians, better detection capabilities of missle launches for the Americans.

Bellman
08-16-05, 10:12 PM
:)

Good clear transients exhibited now within the mod.

I agree - now we have a very interesting game balance. :rock:

Thanks guys. :up:

Kapitan
08-18-05, 01:23 AM
most of my missions are covert tracking missions therefore its more important to stay silent than to shoot

i prefer to track rather than attack saves alot of time and also means i can normaly predict the movments of the vessel so i can go down the pub or have a bath or some thing